Would you / do you enjoy multis that require driving to stages?

I've done many multis where you drive between the stages. Sometimes I don't get them done for a long time as I have many caches to do in between the stages.

I would suggest, it you can do it w/o giving anything away, telling people how long the drive is total (routed mileage) and which direction so they can sort of plan if they want to do it in one day.

I thought all the stages of a multi had to be within a 2 mile radius?

I don't think so. Checking the guidelines for multis makes no mention of it. I also know I have done multis where the stages were quite far apart -- including one where the stages were in totally different towns.

Perhaps you were thinking of the distance rule for for Mystery/Puzzles caches where the actual coordinates need to be located somewhat reasonable distance from the posted coordinates?

Or, I might just be plain wrong. :laughing:

As for the OP: I have no problem with those sorts of caches as long as the description tells me exactly what I am in for. If I'm expecting to drive between the stages that's cool, but if I think I am getting a walk in a park and end up needing a full tank of gas that's less cool.

I thought all the stages of a multi had to be within a 2 mile radius?

I don't think so. Checking the guidelines for multis makes no mention of it. I also know I have done multis where the stages were quite far apart -- including one where the stages were in totally different towns.

Perhaps you were thinking of the distance rule for for Mystery/Puzzles caches where the actual coordinates need to be located somewhat reasonable distance from the posted coordinates?

Or, I might just be plain wrong. :D

Well this is an instant where I hope I'M the one who is wrong! :laughing:

Maybe one of the mods could clarify. And if I passed on incorrect info to the OP - my apologies.

Well this is an instant where I hope I'M the one who is wrong! :laughing:

Maybe one of the mods could clarify. And if I passed on incorrect info to the OP - my apologies.

You're wrong so you got your wish. :D:ph34r::D

You can have multiple stages >2 miles on any cache.

What you're thinking of is that the fake coords for a mystery cache shouldn't be more than 2 miles unless there's a good reason.

We've done some that require driving. Some we liked, and some we didn't, but I don't think that the like/dislike of them was based on the driving; it was based on the whole host of factors that make a cache likable or not.

Interesting location(s), nice hides, dry logbook, etc. -- then we'll like them, whether there's driving involved or not.

Crummy locations, soggy or missing stages, coordinates off -- then we probably won't make the whole drive. :laughing:

Thanks to all of you for sharing information & opinions (and so kindly, might I add).

I have been struggling with an idea for a multi, and it was an epiphany this morning: the theme, the hides, the final. I am so excited to scout out this series and get it started!

More opinions welcome, of course.

I've done a few, and even own one that has some distance between most of the stages and one other. As already posted, if there is something in between it can be fun, if the purpose is simply to get me to drive from here to there and back again, I might pass on it. Or not do it all at once.

Last weekend I did a three part series with cache #3 as the bonus find after getting the first two. Due to the route I took, I was within 500' of #3 at one point before finding #2, but didn't have the time nor inclination to drive 12 miles against the grain just for another find. So I'll complete that one the next time I go in that direction from home.

I don't drive.

When out caching I'm usually with my friend Roo, who drives a Ford F150.

A long drive required for a multi.. would generally not be done simply because it would be quite consuming on gas.

Unless it was a really interesting multi, or a VERY wide spread one on route that was already being taken, I'd probably skip on it.

Now if it's just a few miles between, and I had the bike, then I'd prolly be willing to do it, as long as it wasn't boring. :sad:

I have one that seems well-received: it has 15 stages which you really need to drive between. The minimum total distance is about 80 miles: but the cache is only a short walk from the start so I think that it follows the guidelines. the "caches" are all permanent virtuals (except the final) so it's not too hard to maintain.

Another one of mine is around a well-known motorcycle course (so tends to encourage a motorised form of caching), and it's a 38 mile circuit. It's based on matching photos to locations. That also seems very popular.

They are fine as long as you warn the prospective finders about the likely time or distance involved, and don't make any of the stages pointless.

The more information you can give about a multi in the description the more likely people are going to want to go for it.

If you have a 5 stage multi that takes a cacher 15 miles north from the starting point, they might want to know this so they can plan to grab other caches on the way, and so that they can pass on it if they're heading in some other direction. It's less fun to find the first stage, plug in the second stage, and realize it's too far out of your way that day to continue.

That's certainly not a requirement, just something to consider when you're deciding how to present your cache.

If you do give the distance and direction, you can also provide links to the caches that can be gotten on the way too.

I am contemplating a fun multi - and except for the most adventurous cachers, it requires driving between stages.

Would you / do you enjoy this approach? Would you do the series?

There are some caches like that here, including one very long one. If the cache page is intriguing, the locations sound interesting, and if the description is clear about what I am getting into, I would do the series. If the stages were a long distance apart, I would probably pick up one or two of the waypoints, keep the coordinates of the next stage in my GPSr for the next time I was in that area.

If a lot of driving was involved, I seriously doubt I would do it in one day, but I would post "Notes" on your cache page to let you know "I'm workin' on it." :sad:

I think this is the best thread to tag my idea / query onto, rather than start a new one.

I was daydreaming about a multi where the beginning and end are at each end of a ferry journey or similar. Could be something quite short like the Mersey in England or across NY / SF harbours; or I was even thinking of having to glean some numbers at St Pancras Station in London, to give you coordinates in Paris at the other end of the Eurostar London-Paris train line.

Possible reasons for it not being allowed:

•  
  • Commercial - link to that train or ferry company (but this could simply be not mentioned and the cacher deduces that that is the best way to get to GZ)
  • Distance from icon to GZ - can't see anything in the guidelines specifically disallowing this?
  • Maintenance - is CO able to maintain cache and vouch for the clues not disappearing?

Plus I can imagine traffic being quite low as in my extreme case the Multi icon would be on a map of London and the cache is in Paris!

That said - I can't be the first cacher to think "hmm, going on the Eurostar - will just have time to grab that cache outside St Pancras... dadgum, the one near Gare du Nord is disabled"...

Is this completely unrealistic / against The Rules? Or has it already been done?

•  
  • Commercial - link to that train or ferry company (but this could simply be not mentioned and the cacher deduces that that is the best way to get to GZ)
  • Distance from icon to GZ - can't see anything in the guidelines specifically disallowing this?
  • Maintenance - is CO able to maintain cache and vouch for the clues not disappearing?

Sounds like a good idea to me. To comment on your points I would expect if you don't mention the train/ferry but just state on the cache page that the hunt involves a long journey then it would probably be OK. Distance from icon to GZ should be OK (there was a multi once which involved finding clues in Portsmouth (Yorks), with the GZ in Portsmouth (Hants). Maintenance should be OJ if the container is at your end, and you choose something permanent for the clues.

If it's a smallish journey (e.g. Mersey Ferry) then I think it would be reasonably well found, if it's a Eurostar thing then less so, but could still be worth doing - I'd have a go if I was making the journey and knew about the cache.

We did one recently where all the caches were part of a series and independent cache listings, but each container had a code that if you found them all gave you the coords for the final puzzle cache. It was a great series that took us all over town and kind of a fun take on a traditional multi.

There are (were?) a pair of caches based on the ferry between Seattle & Bremerton. At certain waypoints, you had to collect info to get the final coordinates (number of flashes per minute at the lighthouse, etc). There was no requirement to ride the ferry, it was just the easiest way to get to the points. If you had access to a boat, you could also do the cache.

I see no reason you can't at least mention the ferry. After all I'm sure you could do it by personal boat if you so felt like it....

As for the distance thing, I've had a cache rejected for this as well. But I don't see why you can't make it a mystery with a clue being more than that distance....

I think this is the best thread to tag my idea / query onto, rather than start a new one.

I was daydreaming about a multi where the beginning and end are at each end of a ferry journey or similar. Could be something quite short like the Mersey in England or across NY / SF harbours; or I was even thinking of having to glean some numbers at St Pancras Station in London, to give you coordinates in Paris at the other end of the Eurostar London-Paris train line.

•  

Plus I can imagine traffic being quite low as in my extreme case the Multi icon would be on a map of London and the cache is in Paris!

That said - I can't be the first cacher to think "hmm, going on the Eurostar - will just have time to grab that cache outside St Pancras... dadgum, the one near Gare du Nord is disabled"...

Is this completely unrealistic / against The Rules? Or has it already been done?

Love it I like driving caches :)

I don't think I would do it, and I would like to know up front so don't I get the first clue and find out the next clue is 2 or more miles away. Something like you will have to travel x miles is total or the final location is near town y.

Would you all be more (or less, or the same) likely to attempt something like this as a multi- or as individual caches with clues to find successive and final mystery cache stages? If you're only getting credit for one "find" is it less enticing than if you were to get a find for each stop?

The reason I ask is because I'm wondering about a puzzle series with clues in the caches for the next cache (that travels some distance) and if it is done as one multi, then the general location of the later stages will be hidden from view waypoints, but the disadvantage is that you'll only get credit for one "find".

If it's done as individual caches, then finders would get a smiley for each "cache", but the drawback is the hider would have to give away (within 2 miles) the locations of the later parts, and sometimes that's part of the fun (for both the hider and the seeker) of not publicly displaying where generally the next stage is. (Plus if you already know within two miles where the cache is, by process of elimination many of the digits of some coordinate-based puzzles are pretty much already determined.) Any other pros or cons for multi or individual caches or which of the two you'd prefer?

I'd be fine with not knowing the general location of the final -- if the initial cache page said to complete the series it would require ~60 miles of driving, that's good enough for me.

But then I enjoy the fun of it and not obsessively trying to see how many finds I can rack up.

Edited by TopShelfRob

•  

I have two like this.

They are based on the phoenix Metro Light Rail.

Ridin' the Rails (Westbound)

Ridin' the Rails (Eastbound)

Neither one is getting much traffic these days. It seems people in The Phoenix area don't want to ride the rails. :(

Would you all be more (or less, or the same) likely to attempt something like this as a multi- or as individual caches with clues to find successive and final mystery cache stages? If you're only getting credit for one "find" is it less enticing than if you were to get a find for each stop?
A lot depends on the cache/series.

Around here there is a wildlife refuge with a cache placed by the rangers. Since physical caches are not allowed in the refuge, it is structured as a multi-cache, with question-to-answer stages at various refuge locations around the south SF Bay, and the container at the refuge visitors center. I completed that one as my 1k milestone.

Around here there is also a "Take a ride on the trolley" series with traditional caches near various light rail stations, and a mystery/puzzle bonus cache that requires information from all the traditional caches. The series requires less hiking than the refuge multi-cache, but probably requires a comparable amount of overall travel. I've found a few of the traditional caches, but haven't made any effort to find the rest, or to find the bonus cache.

Both the refuge multi-cache and the bonus cache are on my watchlist. Neither gets much traffic. But the individual traditional caches of the series do get a fair bit of traffic, since they're in urban locations, and one or two of them will show up on most geocachers' "nearest to home" list.

Ultimately, I think the question should be: What kind of cache do you want to own and maintain for the long term? A series will produce a lot more finds, mostly from people who find one or two caches, but never complete the series. But is that what you want? Or do you want to own a cache that creates a single multi-stage adventure?

Ultimately, I think the question should be: What kind of cache do you want to own and maintain for the long term? A series will produce a lot more finds, mostly from people who find one or two caches, but never complete the series. But is that what you want? Or do you want to own a cache that creates a single multi-stage adventure?

Well people racking up a lot of finds on my caches isn't a big deal to me. (I'm also not the type of person that bothers with light-poles in the Wal-Mart parking lot just so I can +1 my find count. I have 56 finds, but I could easily have 500+ if my goal was to just pile up numbers.)

I'd rather have a difficult puzzle series / multi-cache that is completed by relatively few but those that do find it think "that was an awesome adventure" and it was worth their time. If that means that people just passing through the area don't want to try to tackle it, that's fine. I could care less if that means I won't have a 100 consecutive "TFTC" entries in the webcachelog. I'd rather have three entries that my caches makes them feel compelled to write a paragraph that a bunch of people who grabbed it just to have another find.

All in all I've been contemplating the scope of this for awhile, even though I stopped caching for a long time and just started back up caching again recently, it's been on my mind for awhile. I want to hide a cache that is like the kind of caches that I like to find.

As cache-hiders, is the amount of finds important to you guys, or would you rather have fewer people find it, but feel like those that do find it will remember it fondly?

The idea that my cache gave someone fond memories is WAAAAY more important than having one which lost of people add a smilie to their find list. Quality over quantity is my idea of caching, but it seems I may be in the minority on this issue.

I have done a few that I can recall. The first had no warning that the second stage was five miles away, and requiring a hike. Think it took me three or four months to get the final. Another warned me. Follow me! Five stages, ten miles. I was ready for that. A few 'several mile walks'. Okay. I was warned. A mystery cache with eleven miles to check out all fourteen stages? I was warned, and chose to accept. Took almost a year.

Ah. Then there was Bridges & Arches of Central Park... Locate 32 bridges & arches in Central Park NYC, and obtain information. Quite a lot of walking!!!! We did it on three trips to the city. About three months. Loved it!!! A spectacular cache!

So... If it intrigues me, and is fairly local, I might give it a go. Vacation cache? No way. But it would have to intrigue me. Interest me. Okay. I have done a fair number. Challenge me. Intrigue me. I very much doubt that I would be inter4eted in one that asked me to drive a hundred miles. You need to intrigue me.

As cache-hiders, is the amount of finds important to you guys, or would you rather have fewer people find it, but feel like those that do find it will remember it fondly?

The latter. The number of finds is not at all important to me. Getting logs which indicate people enjoyed the cache is.

As for multis which require driving - in general I'm not a fan. I prefer to park the car once then find caches on foot. So I'm happy with a multi which involves a long walk, but less keen if I need to drive between stages.

I have a new multi that requires you to travel to the four corners of the county to gather clues to find the final (GC4DF8P). It's roughly a 120 mile drive to complete the cache. Most of the cachers have avoided the drive by using their smarts to figure out where the final would likely be. Leave it to the ingenuity of a geocacher to make short work of a difficult problem. :lol:

I have a new multi that requires you to travel to the four corners of the county to gather clues to find the final (GC4DF8P). It's roughly a 120 mile drive to complete the cache. Most of the cachers have avoided the drive by using their smarts to figure out where the final would likely be. Leave it to the ingenuity of a geocacher to make short work of a difficult problem. :lol:

Ah, but that's the key... do you mind it they shortcut it, or do you feel that's truly a required part of the adventure? If it's not truly required but okay with you if they use ingenuity to solve the puzzle in other ways without driving to the corners of the county, then I wouldn't say that it is required. But if you state that it is required, then I would consider shortcutting it to be cheating.

If you don't consider that cheating, I'd take out the word required.

Edited by TopShelfRob

Ah, but that's the key... do you mind it they shortcut it, or do you feel that's truly a required part of the adventure? If it's not truly required but okay with you if they use ingenuity to solve the puzzle in other ways without driving to the corners of the county, then I wouldn't say that it is required. But if you state that it is required, then I would consider shortcutting it to be cheating.

If you don't consider that cheating, I'd take out the word required.

When I wrote the cache listing, I had no idea that it was possible find the cache without driving. Obviously, I knew people could come close, but I was quite surprised to see them find it without driving. Honestly, I was a bit miffed at first when jarcc found it without driving <_< . But, I'm good friends with him and he said, "A signed log is a signed log." He's right. It's no different than accidentally finding a cache while your out, or working together as a team to find a cache. I'm not going to tell people how to play the game. I enjoy people finding my caches. How they do it is up to them. A signed log is a signed log. :D