The Amazing Geocaper--July 19, 2008

JavaDuck

I'm pleased to announce the date of the 3rd annual geocaper! This year our theme is the Amazing Race. Check out the Amazing Geocaper cache page.

It provides all the necessary information etc.

We are looking for 2-4 volunteers to help us on the day of the event. If you are looking for another cacher to fill out your team, use this forum!

See you in July! We are busy planning another fun filled day!

JavaDuck

Just a quick update! We already have 3 teams signed up for this great event. Teams can be anywhere from 3 to 6 people. Due to the nature of the event, we can only take up to 12 teams. Spots will be first come, first serve. I know that there are at least 3 other teams that have expressed interest.

Again, we are looking for a 2-3 volunteers to help us the day of the event.

JavaDuck

This looks like a ton of fun! I'll be talking to the rest of the.james.gang and see what the consensus is. Also, may try team up with our folks, 2RUSTYWHALERS. We all LOVE The Amazing Race!! :unsure: I'm gathering from the cache page that you don't always use The Amazing Race theme for the caper? And is this usually held in Tacoma? Just curious.

The Geocaper is a puzzle and cache race. The puzzles are similar to the many puzzle cache pages you see on here. Instead of solving for coordinates you will be solving for a word. Solve the puzzle get the coordinates for the next puzzle, etc.

Yes, this year's theme is the Amazing Race, the past two years it has been the Goonies and Willy Wonka. The spots seem to be filling up quickly this year and there seems to be a lot of interest. If you're interested, please send me an email with the information listed on the cache page to reserve your spot.

5 spots of 12 have already been filled. So just 7 spots are left.

The organizers are busy planning a day of fun and surprises!

JavaDuck

Hi all!

Wow, we have already had a great response to this event. We already have 9 teams registered, so just 3 spots left. If registered teams have a few spots left for other cachers, please post a note here. I know a few are looking for a team.

Remember teams can have between 3 and 6 cachers.

JavaDuck

All team spots for the Amazing Geocaper are now full! We had an amazing response this past week and the spots filled up quickly. We are still taking names of intersted teams in case of cancellations.

I will be notifying teams in the next week, to see if any of them have any openings for cachers to join their team.

We look forward to seeing all the teams in July!

Cachers that are interested in participating in the event can post a message here or on the cache page to see if one of the registered teams have space on their team. Teams are allowed to have up to 6 people on the team.

I will be organizing all the data regarding teams this weekend. At that time, I will have a better idea of how many teams are able and willing to have another cacher join their team.

JavaDuck

We have room for two more cachers!

Hey, Coreynjoey, NomadRaven and I are interested in filling your open spots. Let me know via forum or email!

Thanks!! It looks as though we may have our team filled up. But, if they drop out, I will definitely let you know. Also, I suggest posting a note on the cache page that you are looking for a team.

Thanks and Happy Caching!

Just want to give some clarification. If a team spot becomes available, we will be contacting teams on the wait list. If no teams on the wait list are interested in an open spot, we will post a note on the cache page and in the Amazing Geocaper thread in the forums.

I already emailed one person, but thought this might be a better spot for this.

If anyone still has a spot on their team, I'd love to join!

I swear I don't bite. :D

eta: I should admit that even though I'm pretty good at caching & puzzles, I haven't done any of the puzzle caches already existing.

Edited by roocifer
I already emailed one person, but thought this might be a better spot for this.

If anyone still has a spot on their team, I'd love to join!

I swear I don't bite. :rolleyes:

eta: I should admit that even though I'm pretty good at caching & puzzles, I haven't done any of the puzzle caches already existing.

Dang it, our team is already full! I'm kinda hoping no one has a spot available just becasue we don't want to lose to you! :rolleyes:

I see that there is interest in doing the caches in the Park before or after the event. For those that are not familiar with the area, the outer loop of Five Mile Drive is closed to vehicles on Saturday until 1:00 p.m., so getting there early on Saturday to get the caches further out would necessitate bikes or a long hike. I'm really hoping the first task is close to the event coords so we have time for the drive to open as we plan to drive.

P.S. Sorry CoreyNJoey, we had room for one more and picked up roocifer. :rolleyes: Is she privvy to all of your puzzle secrets? I'll have to work on my powers of persuasion.

Just wanted to say once again, Thanks to everyone who made this incredibly well planned event happen. We are SOOOO lucky to have this event in Washington.

My only suggestion would be attempting to find sponsors willing to donate prizes so everyone can walk away with something. I personally will be donating some coins when this rolls around again to add to the pool of prizes. Every team really put forth some serious efforts and they all deserve a prize of some sort just for making it through.

Thats my $.02 at least.

Get ahold of me if anything needs built. I would be happy to contribute what I can if a contraption needs made.

My only suggestion would be attempting to find sponsors willing to donate prizes so everyone can walk away with something. I personally will be donating some coins when this rolls around again to add to the pool of prizes. Every team really put forth some serious efforts and they all deserve a prize of some sort just for making it through.

Thats my $.02 at least.

I said it all in my log but this event was just AMAZING. Our team had a great time, can't wait to go next year. If organizers do decide to put together a prize pool or anything like that as suggested above, add us to the top of the list of those willing to contribute however or whatever we can.

Again thanks so much to Javaduck and all the volunteers who went above and beyond on this one. I wish they could be the ones to walk away with a prize.

I've posted this on the event cache page, but wanted to say thanks to all the teams that participated in this year's Geocaper. And a HUGE THANK YOU to Nancois, TracerBullet, Ragman, and Squeak2Me for helping organizing this year's event. And another HUGE THANK YOU to Mudsneaker, DragonFly, Dave of GrnXHam, GrumpyMarien, and Melanie for all their help during the event.

Hope to see you all next year!