Best GPS for newcomer?

drshmuz

One that works :mad:

What is your budget?

Any other uses for it or just geocaching?

Color screen important?

Maps important?

Need a lot more info that just 'which one to get', there's a lot of good choices and a lot of 'which gps' threads on here to skim through.

Simply put, for ease of use I'd recommend at a minimum:

1. A Garmin since they integrate nicely with this site (and Garmin has the ability as well).

2. High sensitivity receiver.

That's about it really... from there it goes up, or down. You can geocache just fine with a Gamin Geko 201 or go all the way up to the geocachers dream, a Colorado 400 series... up to you really.

If you look at my signature you'll see I have a lot of Garmin units, not because I'm brand loyal but because they've always worked well for me. I think this site integrating so well with them also shows a little something.

Garmin is not the only way you can enjoy geocaching however, basically any GPS can work... it just depends on how much back end work you want to put into it.

Edited by XopherN71

I am a newbie and I just got the Garmin etrex Legend HCX for $229.

I love it. It is perect for a beginner like me, easy to figure out and use.'

Budget is $250 max and I will look for a Garmin - just for geocaching with maps and color. Thank you!

One that works :mad:

What is your budget?

Any other uses for it or just geocaching?

Color screen important?

Maps important?

Need a lot more info that just 'which one to get', there's a lot of good choices and a lot of 'which gps' threads on here to skim through.

Simply put, for ease of use I'd recommend at a minimum:

1. A Garmin since they integrate nicely with this site (and Garmin has the ability as well).

2. High sensitivity receiver.

That's about it really... from there it goes up, or down. You can geocache just fine with a Gamin Geko 201 or go all the way up to the geocachers dream, a Colorado 400 series... up to you really.

If you look at my signature you'll see I have a lot of Garmin units, not because I'm brand loyal but because they've always worked well for me. I think this site integrating so well with them also shows a little something.

Garmin is not the only way you can enjoy geocaching however, basically any GPS can work... it just depends on how much back end work you want to put into it.

If you're willing to go up to $250 I bet you could find a GPSmap 60CSx with some patience.

Definitely a tried and true device with a lot of capabilities, color maps, expandable, highly recommended and rugged.

Here's a list of ones I'd recommend that 'should' fit into your needs/budget.

eTrex Summit HC

eTrex Venture HC

eTrex Legend HCx

eTrex Vista HCx

GPSmap 60Cx

GPSmap 60CSx

GPSmap 76Cx

GPSmap 76CSx

If you shop around, you should be able to get a Garmin Legend HCx for less than $200, the Vista HCx for around $220. Then you need to get a Micro SD card, but those don't cost very much.

You might find the older Topo maps on eBay for a reasonable price. You don't need maps to find the caches, but they are nice to have.