Nokia N95

I have not been caching this Winter and have decided to start now the weather is getting better

I had a look about paperless caching on this forum and was delighted to see there is an alternative to the terribly antiquated

Pocket Query

Gsak

palm or ppc route

I have long thought with modern technology as it is there are too many links in this chain, as Groundspeak has all the available info I think email PQs cachemate etc are unneccasary parts in the chain. (Granted unless you like having a good stat analysis programe and time on your hands.

Does anyone know if the Nokia N95 is as good as it sounds when paired whith the relevant software?

I already have a Decent garmin which I could use aswell, but the thought of being able to go straight from Groundspeak website to portable information holder and wireless is exciting.

I really dont have the time to mess about updating the pqs then loading them onto gsak then onto my garmin blah blah time wasting blah.

I would hope to choose an area then download direct to garmin before setting out and use the phone once I get out in the field.

Or is there anyother way to cut out the GSAK middleman?

I've had one for a couple of months and it is the dog doodah's :laughing:

The integral GPS is very useful and I've subscribed to Viewranger so I can have proper OS maps available (almost like Memory Map) with Geocaches indicated.

The Trimble software is quite useful for any caches you don't have loaded into the phone and has the big advantage of being free.

The GPS does sometimes take time to get a lock but it's quite acceptable. The downside of the phone is battery life. With the GPS going and an Internet connection it only lasts a few hours. I would consider it a very useful standby but would still use a "proper" GPS, even a cheap one, for serious caching.

I have not been caching this Winter and have decided to start now the weather is getting better

I had a look about paperless caching on this forum and was delighted to see there is an alternative to the terribly antiquated

Pocket Query

Gsak

palm or ppc route

I have long thought with modern technology as it is there are too many links in this chain, as Groundspeak has all the available info I think email PQs cachemate etc are unneccasary parts in the chain. (Granted unless you like having a good stat analysis programe and time on your hands.

Does anyone know if the Nokia N95 is as good as it sounds when paired whith the relevant software?

I already have a Decent garmin which I could use aswell, but the thought of being able to go straight from Groundspeak website to portable information holder and wireless is exciting.

I really dont have the time to mess about updating the pqs then loading them onto gsak then onto my garmin blah blah time wasting blah.

I would hope to choose an area then download direct to garmin before setting out and use the phone once I get out in the field.

Or is there anyother way to cut out the GSAK middleman?

Thanks

I already have a decent garmin 60csx but what I really wanted the phone for was quick access to ground speak website information about caches while out in the field.

My plan is to find an area I want to cache in at home download the info into my garmin then set out and use the phone for all the info I would usually have had to print.

To me this seems so much easier than Pocket queries gsak cachemate etc etc.

I'm with 3 and have an unlimited data package so cost isn't an issue. As well as the comments from Lactodorum above :laughing: I've recently been using Google maps which is also free and shows really detailed satellite pictures of where you are. Very impressive to be able to see landmarks such as trees and buildings on the phone as you walk past them!

I'm not sure how many MB I'm using so I can't answer that part of your question, sorry.