What navigation system?

shunra

I have used various GPS units for caching. Right now I use a Vista HCx and a Pocket PC.

I would, however, like to buy a car navigation system with voice prompts. Ideally, it should be usable for geocaching too. I have no experience with such units, except for built-in ones in rental cars.

With the Vista, I have the problem that my maps (metroguide) are gradually getting outdated, and buying a new set is expensive. I heard that for some navigation systems, it is possible to just download uptodate maps. I'd like my system to work in Europe as well.

I have heard about systems that include real-time traffic jam information, etc., but I am not sure whether that would be a subscription-based system, which would be more than I want.

What navigation systems do you use? and/or recommend?

Is there any other consideration I should take into account?

Thanks!

I have used various GPS units for caching. Right now I use a Vista HCx and a Pocket PC.

I would, however, like to buy a car navigation system with voice prompts. Ideally, it should be usable for geocaching too. I have no experience with such units, except for built-in ones in rental cars.

With the Vista, I have the problem that my maps (metroguide) are gradually getting outdated, and buying a new set is expensive. I heard that for some navigation systems, it is possible to just download uptodate maps. I'd like my system to work in Europe as well.

I have heard about systems that include real-time traffic jam information, etc., but I am not sure whether that would be a subscription-based system, which would be more than I want.

What navigation systems do you use? and/or recommend?

Is there any other consideration I should take into account?

Thanks!

I use Garmin Mobile XT and TomTom on my Ipaq Travel Companion PDA (which has a built in Sirf III GPS). Both the Garmin and TomTom software work great (TomTom comes installed on the unit). Updated maps still cost money, but it's a little more flexible than one particular dedicated device. I don't own a dedicated auto unit, but I get just about all the benefits with the Ipaq that they'd provide. (The exception being the live traffic data which isn't available in my area yet anyway)

A friend of mine has a Smartphone with a built in GPS that runs Garmin Mobile XT. It's like a having a Nuvi built into his cell phone. Pretty cool, and cheaper than a dedicated auto GPS. And, no extra monthly fee like some of the cell company provided navigation systems have.