Using a Megellan Explorer 210

Yes, you can download caches one at a time. The 210 comes with a geocache manager, or you can download an updated one from the Magellan web site.

How much are you going to spend on the 210? I just bought my kids eXplorist 500s, for $119. Color, SD card, etc.

Edited by letmein

Yes, you can download caches one at a time. The 210 comes with a geocache manager, or you can download an updated one from the Magellan web site.

How much are you going to spend on the 210? I just bought my kids eXplorist 500s, for $119. Color, SD card, etc.

Actually, you can download loc files 20 caches at a time.

Thanks everyone for your response, I had to decide between a garmin rino 120 or the megellan explorist 210. I was leaning towards the megellan and not the garmin but I wasnt sure if you could download cache info into them off of geocaching.com. I only had to pay shipping to get it here, my wife and I are greenpoints members and had enough points to get either of the 2. After reading somemore on the forums, I see Garmins are the GPS of choice among the group so I choose to get the garmin rino 120. Again, thanks for everyones response.

I'll do you one better. I download 200 in a file at a time using Mapsend Lite.

linkguider,

The easiest way to get caches downloaded is to pay $30 yearly fee to geocaching.com and become a premium member. As a premium member you can submit a "pocket query" and get 200 caches at a time (the limit of the eXplorist per file). You can then use a complicated (but easy once you get the hang of it) program called GSAK (another $30 one-time fee, or nag ware that gets progressively more annoying) to convert the "pocket query" .gpx file to the eXplorist .gs file.

Koolaid105 mentions he does this with Mapsend Lite, a free download from magellangps.com I don't know anything about using that, or the new Vantage Point from Magellan that replaces the older Geocache Manager.

I'll do you one better. I download 200 in a file at a time using Mapsend Lite.

Does Mapsend lite download directly from the website? I thought it wass used to convert and upload files to the GPS.

I upload 200 at a time to my GPS using Geocache Manager. I download 200 (or more) at a time (gpx) using pocket queries.

Without pocket queries you can download up to 20 caches (loc) from the search page. I am aware than you can merge these files for a larger upload.