Let's Do the Iron Horse Again!

Pyewacket

Ok, my husband and I are interested in going to this, but we don’t own bicycles and have not ridden in years. A dark, damp tunnel probably isn’t the best place to be reintroduced to a two wheeler. :)

Is anyone planning on hiking the trail to the cache? We’d hate to walk alone :mad:

Ok, my husband and I are interested in going to this, but we don’t own bicycles and have not ridden in years. A dark, damp tunnel probably isn’t the best place to be reintroduced to a two wheeler. :)

Is anyone planning on hiking the trail to the cache? We’d hate to walk alone :mad:

I think it's safe to say that there will probably be more hikers than bikers, so please attend if you can. :o

I've ridden my bike almost every day for the past year, and I'm still intimidated by riding through the tunnel. I'm looking forward to it, but it's a bit daunting to think about. It's going to be a real adventure, that's for sure!

Darn it, we'll be at Champoeg that weekend. I'm still interested if anyone wants to go in August, anytime after the first weekend in the month.

Heck, I'm always busy doing laundry and the dishes, but I can take a day off and drop off the quads with friends to go do this cache. Same goes for the Festering Head cache.

Thanks Pyewacket. I needed a girlie bike with a house full of boys. All I need now is a white basket with flowers for the front. Got a ding dong bell already.

Doing what? Champoeg is in July, not June.

Darn it, we'll be at Champoeg that weekend. I'm still interested if anyone wants to go in August, anytime after the first weekend in the month.

Heck, I'm always busy doing laundry and the dishes, but I can take a day off and drop off the quads with friends to go do this cache. Same goes for the Festering Head cache.

Thanks Pyewacket. I needed a girlie bike with a house full of boys. All I need now is a white basket with flowers for the front. Got a ding dong bell already.

You didn't read up far enough. The date was changed. Maybe some helpful mod will change the topic title.

I just called for an update on the status of the tunnel; it won't be opening until the end of June. I've decided to host the breakfast event for Saturday, July 26. I'm in the process now of writing the cache page and will post a note here when it's approved.

Edited by Team Misguided

You didn't read up far enough. The date was changed. Maybe some helpful mod will change the topic title.

I just called for an update on the status of the tunnel; it won't be opening until the end of June. I've decided to host the breakfast event for Saturday, July 26. I'm in the process now of writing the cache page and will post a note here when it's approved.

And then you didn't read down far enough. :)

I went ahead with my original plan of June 28, especially since I was informed by two friends on the east coast that they'd be here at this time to do the APE cache and the original stash. I'm hoping for an excellent turnout, but even if only a handful of cachers attend, I'm happy to be hosting my first event. I hope to see you at All Aboard for Breakfast on the Iron Horse Express! :mad:

Now the Champoeg folks can attend, too. :o

ETA: Maybe some helpful mod will change the topic title back. :(

Edited by Pyewacket

When I first saw the topic title I thought this was going to be an Iron Horse ride down to Rattlesnake. I am going to wait until warmer weather. I want my wife, son and granddaughter to make that ride but the girls won't like it with snow on the ground and possibly on the trail. It's a late spring up there this year. Thanks PW for organizing this fun event.

Ok, Mr. Brumbjorn is not going to make it (he's out of town for the weekend) but I'll be there with a friend.

Can I toss an idea out there -- Mr. B suggested this:

Would anyone want to meet at the Annette Lake TH, leave a car, and then carpool over to the Iron Horse TH? We could cache as a group, keep going down the trail to the Avalanche Shack and Annette Breather caches, then head down the Annette Trail back to the parking, picking up the Asahel Curtis and Walk It Off caches. The car that was left at the TH would then bring people BACK to the Iron Horse TH (Remember: you would have made this drive anyway!) to retrive their car.

just an idea :o

Ok, Mr. Brumbjorn is not going to make it (he's out of town for the weekend) but I'll be there with a friend.

Would anyone want to meet at the Annette Lake TH, leave a car, and then carpool over to the Iron Horse TH? We could cache as a group, keep going down the trail to the Avalanche Shack and Annette Breather caches, then head down the Annette Trail back to the parking, picking up the Asahel Curtis and Walk It Off caches. The car that was left at the TH would then bring people BACK to the Iron Horse TH (Remember: you would have made this drive anyway!) to retrive their car.

just an idea :o

I hope you get some takers! That's too far for me to walk (as is the tunnel) but I might be able to make the trek of which you speak on a bike, which I hope to do some day. Sorry that Mr. B can't make it...this is shaping up to be a fun event! The breakfast is just the official kickoff. ;)

Edited by Pyewacket

just an idea :lol:

I hope you get some takers! That's too far for me to walk (as is the tunnel) but I might be able to make the trek of which you speak on a bike, which I hope to do some day. Sorry that Mr. B can't make it...this is shaping up to be a fun event! The breakfast is just the official kickoff. :lol:

Unless you are an excellent mountain biker, your bike will NOT make it down the Annette Lake trail to the Asahel Curtis parking area. Lots of rocks and roots in the trail. Hiking is fine although you need to watch your feet, but bikes are asking a bit much.

just an idea :ph34r:

I hope you get some takers! That's too far for me to walk (as is the tunnel) but I might be able to make the trek of which you speak on a bike, which I hope to do some day. Sorry that Mr. B can't make it...this is shaping up to be a fun event! The breakfast is just the official kickoff. ;)

Unless you are an excellent mountain biker, your bike will NOT make it down the Annette Lake trail to the Asahel Curtis parking area. Lots of rocks and roots in the trail. Hiking is fine although you need to watch your feet, but bikes are asking a bit much.

**points up toward the top of this page** I'll be hiking the trail with my friends. I don't have a bike :) so this will work for the walkers is anyone is interested.

just an idea :ph34r:

**points up toward the top of this page** I'll be hiking the trail with my friends. I don't have a bike :) so this will work for the walkers is anyone is interested.

There are times when I can't seem to read English. I saw the note about bikes in your reply, but not the WALK in the original.

The tunnel is open, and this event is a go! If someone would like to bike through, but doesn't have a bike, I may have an option for you. A few months ago, I found a men's mountain bike (nothing fancy) and turned it over to the Monroe Police Department with the hope that they could find the owner. They called yesterday to inform me that, because the owner never made a claim, the bike is mine if I want it. I haven't looked to see if the front tire can be repaired or if it will need a new tube and tire, but it will need some work. It might also need to have the seat replaced, but I have the old, non-cushy seat that used to be on my bike that can be swapped. If you want to make the repairs, you're more than welcome to borrow it to bike through the tunnel. I've already promised to give it to someone, but it's available to use until that time comes. Just let me know if you're interested.

Walking or biking, this is gonna be fun. The breakfast meet and greet is a bonus. :D

5cc4d904-35a3-4489-aa3d-368d58591846.jpg

I'm posting a pic of the bike; Allanon and I fixed the tire and changed the seat. This is a zippy bike...far more easily maneuverable than the Pyecycle, which, compared to this, "drives" like a boat. Or a Cadillac. :D

Shoot me an email or PM if you'd like to borrow it for the event.