Let's Do the Iron Horse Again!

Pyewacket

It's too early to submit this as an event (my first), but I'll do so as soon as possible. I plan to host a tailgate brekkie (tea, coffee, breakfast pastries) at the Iron Horse trailhead the morning of June 28th. After a light repast, it's on to the tunnel and associated caches in the vicinity. I did the only remaining Ape Cache last June, but I did it in my power wheelchair, and missed a few of the nearby hides. This year, I'll be taking the tunnel on The Pyecycle. :rolleyes: Biking the tunnel seems to be an experience not to be missed.

A wealth of valuable info can be found in the thread relating to the trip on June 17 of last year. Even if you've done the Ape Cache, the tunnel is a fascinating trek, worthy of a repeat visit. It would be wonderful if we have the same enthusiastic turnout as last year. I hope to see you there!

I would be interested in riding along. I have found the ape cache, but I too missed out on the rest of the caches on the trail. Also, I have recently acquired a top of the line, ultra high tech early '70's Schwinn Breeze. It seems like it could do the job nicely.

cdb37927-5d86-464c-8319-2403b54eb3ff.jpg

Wow! So high tech, it even has coaster brakes!!!!

I wouldn't ride that on the John Wayne trail. :laughing: You need a mountain bike with fat tires to avoid flats. :D

I love the new bike, Harriet! :laughing: Speaking for myself (and the Froomlord, I think), I'm only riding as far as the Ape cache, then back through the tunnel again. I have neither the strength nor the stamina to ride much more of the trail than that. I don't know if that will make a difference on tires or not; I'm definitely an amateur when it comes to bikes. I don't imagine everyone will be bringing bikes...that is, if anyone else is interested in attending.

I do have access to another bike that is currently in the shop getting a complete overhaul. Its an early 1950's schwinn corevette. It has big fat tires, and a good frame and a big but seat. Still very high tech with coaster brakes.

fde7900c-205c-4291-a9fc-4a477d6b01c8.jpg

I am thinking about upping the technology level on the Breeze by adding a bell. :laughing: I have been on the trail to the Ape cache, I am postive the Breeze could handle it. Beyond the ape, might be a different story.

Edited by Harriet the Spy

I do have access to another bike that is currently in the shop getting a complete overhaul. Its an early 1950's schwinn corevette. It has big fat tires, and a good frame and a big but seat. Still very high tech with coaster brakes.

fde7900c-205c-4291-a9fc-4a477d6b01c8.jpg

I am thinking about upping the technology level on the Breeze by adding a bell. :laughing: I have been on the trail to the Ape cache, I am postive the Breeze could handle it. Beyond the ape, might be a different story.

Don't buy a bell. I have one for you. Brand new. One of those fortuitous happenstances that happens to me a lot, for which I'm truly thankful, especially when I can share them.

How'd you acquire the mondo bikes? They're really sweet!

They are pretty cool, and I take them off sweet jumps too :laughing:

8f520922-08d8-4bf6-adaa-19000dbb9707.jpg

I got like 3 feet of air that time :D:ph34r::D

Well.... my dad plays poker with a bunch of his friends. My dad doesn't like to take his friends money all the time. So he winds up getting stuff they have collected in their garages for 30 years instead. And my dad always passes it along to me. This time I got bikes, but in the past i have got an organ (the kind that plays music), car repairs, movies, stuff for my hubby's guitar, playground equipment for my herd and all sorts of random stuff. I guess it pays off for me that he plays cards with pack rats! (BTW I am hoping that he wins laundry service for me pretty soon, I could use a break!)

I got like 3 feet of air that time :ph34r::DB)

Well.... my dad plays poker with a bunch of his friends. My dad doesn't like to take his friends money all the time. So he winds up getting stuff they have collected in their garages for 30 years instead. And my dad always passes it along to me. This time I got bikes, but in the past i have got an organ (the kind that plays music), car repairs, movies, stuff for my hubby's guitar, playground equipment for my herd and all sorts of random stuff. I guess it pays off for me that he plays cards with pack rats! (BTW I am hoping that he wins laundry service for me pretty soon, I could use a break!)

I'm glad that part was specified... :D

I got like 3 feet of air that time :ph34r::DB)

I'm glad that part was specified... :D

giggle.gif

I can't make this trip, but would be interested in joining a group riding east, rather than west, from the summit. I've done the west ride 3 times in the last year so would like to try the other direction. If anyone is also interested in a summit-east ride please shout.

Have fun! It's a great ride.

JustMike

I got like 3 feet of air that time :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I'm glad that part was specified... :laughing:

giggle.gif

Dang, I almost thought we might have another candidate for my "body parts as cache containers" series! <_<

Cool bikes, Harriet!

I reallllly want to do this run from the top down to the lake (?) near North Bend. I'm encouraging 4 family members, all geocachers, to do this with me.

I'm not sure we will be back from our California visit by the 28th. Will check the schedule and report back.

I just called for an update on the status of the tunnel; it won't be opening until the end of June. I've decided to host the breakfast event for Saturday, July 26. I'm in the process now of writing the cache page and will post a note here when it's approved.

I'm a bike amateur...I know very little about what bikes are best for various terrain. Having said that, those who haven't experienced the tunnel can expect an uneven floor with loose gravel, small holes, and crumbling concrete. The fact that you can barely see in there, even with good lighting, adds a couple of degrees to the difficulty. I'm sure that wider, rugged tires are better for the terrain, but other tires may make the trip just fine...I don't know.

I do hope there's a decent turnout for this event, bikers and hoofers alike. If not...well, it's not as if I need an incentive to ride my bike, but replacing the memory of doing the tunnel in my chair with that of me riding The Pyecycle...well, I'm definitely looking forward to that. :grin:

Quadmommy, that's a really pretty bike!

I'm a bike amateur...I know very little about what bikes are best for various terrain. Having said that, those who haven't experienced the tunnel can expect an uneven floor with loose gravel, small holes, and crumbling concrete. The fact that you can barely see in there, even with good lighting, adds a couple of degrees to the difficulty. I'm sure that wider, rugged tires are better for the terrain, but other tires may make the trip just fine...I don't know.

I'm sure The Jester could confirm that road bikes (skinny tires) won't work. :grin: But you don't need a full-on mountain bike. I rode my hybrid (comfort) bike and it worked great. It's really all about the tires. They have to be thick enough and wide enough to handle off-road gravel, etc.

Darn it, we'll be at Champoeg that weekend. I'm still interested if anyone wants to go in August, anytime after the first weekend in the month.

Heck, I'm always busy doing laundry and the dishes, but I can take a day off and drop off the quads with friends to go do this cache. Same goes for the Festering Head cache.

Thanks Pyewacket. I needed a girlie bike with a house full of boys. All I need now is a white basket with flowers for the front. Got a ding dong bell already.

Well, darn...I told myself I was just going to plan a date and hope others show up, but I also looked at other events going on in Washington to avoid schedule conflict for others. I forgot all about Champoeg, and I know a lot of locals attend.

So, please chime in...what is the best date for the majority of interested cachers to attend a tailgate breakfast event at the Iron Horse Trail parking lot? I'll do my best to keep a running tally and choose the date that's most convenient for the greater number of participants. June is out...July? August? I'm a bit afraid to consider the month of September; the chance of it being more weathery up there at that time begins to develop.

What say you?

I went ahead with my original plan of June 28, especially since I was informed by two friends on the east coast that they'd be here at this time to do the APE cache and the original stash. I'm hoping for an excellent turnout, but even if only a handful of cachers attend, I'm happy to be hosting my first event. I hope to see you at All Aboard for Breakfast on the Iron Horse Express! :D

Edited by Pyewacket

Both say they are 'comfort' style bikes which are probably more suited for paved trails, but it doesn't hurt to ask if they have something else...or know of someone that does.

Actually, I have a "comfort" bike, and it works just fine on gravel and dirt - I rode it on the first Iron Horse event. Many comfort bikes are hybrids (between street and mountain bikes) and have slightly wider, tougher tires than street bikes. But for sure, tell the rental folks what you'll be using the bike for, to ensure you get one with the right tires.

Edited by hydnsek

Does anyone know of good camping in the area? My sister-in-law has a bunch of vacation during the end of June and offered to take the kids so we could go camping on our own (ah, the bliss!), and this would be awesome to plan around! The APE has been on our list for a long time!

Thx in advance!

Does anyone know of good camping in the area? My sister-in-law has a bunch of vacation during the end of June and offered to take the kids so we could go camping on our own (ah, the bliss!), and this would be awesome to plan around! The APE has been on our list for a long time!

Thx in advance!

Unfortunately, if the APE is still buried in snow, so are the hikeable camp locations up there. Lower down, The Tiger Mountain Trail has a very cool spot to camp at near this cache if you're up for a moderate hike to get there.

Thx in advance!

Unfortunately, if the APE is still buried in snow, so are the hikeable camp locations up there. Lower down, The Tiger Mountain Trail has a very cool spot to camp at near this cache if you're up for a moderate hike to get there.

According to the pics in one of the latest logs for the APE cache, it's no longer covered with snow, but there's still a goodly amount of the stuff at both ends of the tunnel. I've never camped in the area, but when googling ]Iron Horse tunnel camping, there were lots of links returned. And Totem Lake knows his stuff...I'd check out his recommendation. Hope to see you at the event!

Thx in advance!

According to the pics in one of the latest logs for the APE cache, it's no longer covered with snow, but there's still a goodly amount of the stuff at both ends of the tunnel. I've never camped in the area, but when googling ]Iron Horse tunnel camping, there were lots of links returned. And Totem Lake knows his stuff...I'd check out his recommendation. Hope to see you at the event!

Thanks for the input! We'll check it out. As of right now, we're planning on being there, but I'll go post an RSVP as soon as its concrete!

Lake Kachess is probably out of the snow by now, but it looks like it is booked for the weekend of the 28th already. Lake Easton is a huge campground (and about as nice as a State campground can get) and it appears to still have plenty of room. Denny Creek tends to be pretty damp and gloomy in the best of times.

The campsites along the trail are probably still in the snow, but that could change by the end of month. Personally, we'd go with Lake Easton, even though we prefer our camping to be a little more rustic.

Thx in advance!

Hate to be the party crasher here, but camping is not allowed at Tiget Mountain State Forest.

Lake Kachess is probably out of the snow by now, but it looks like it is booked for the weekend of the 28th already. Lake Easton is a huge campground (and about as nice as a State campground can get) and it appears to still have plenty of room. Denny Creek tends to be pretty damp and gloomy in the best of times.

The campsites along the trail are probably still in the snow, but that could change by the end of month. Personally, we'd go with Lake Easton, even though we prefer our camping to be a little more rustic.

Dang, and I was leaning toward Denny Creek too...Anyone have an opinion on Tinkham?

Here is what the Iron Horse web site has to say

There are four campgrounds along the trail, each with three to four campsites, one picnic table and a vault toilet. They are located at milepost 2109.5 at Roaring Creek, milepost 2113.2 at Cold Creek, milepost 2123.2 at Carter Creek and milepost 2127.1 at Alice Creek.

Camping is also available near the trail at U.S. Forest Service campgrounds at Tinkham, Denny Creek, Lake Kachess and Crystal Springs. There is state park camping at Lake Easton and Wanapum.

I can confirm that the tunnel doors were open yesterday and there was no snow in the parking lot. Denny Creek is definately snowed in and closed. The camps along the trail (that you must hike or bike to) will likely have snow but may be campable. There are some unauthorized camps sites along Tinkam road that aren't too bad. Tinkham road was clear of snow also, as was the Ashel Curtis lot.

BTW, all the other trail heads on the wet side of I-90 are snow free. Not that this means the trails are.

Thx in advance!

Hate to be the party crasher here, but camping is not allowed at Tiget Mountain State Forest.

I wasn't aware there were restrictions. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thx in advance!

I wasn't aware there were restrictions. Thanks for pointing it out.

I get the feeling that they aren't widely known and I am not willing to say that they havn't been ignored time and time again after all there aren't exactly ranger patroling after dark on them thar hills, but I just figured I would clarify so we aren't giving people bad info. :)

The nearest campground to the Hyak parking where the event will be, is at Crystal Springs Campground which is just at the other end of Keechelus Lake. It's about 9 road miles away.

I've stayed there many times.

Ok, so I went to the link and read the description, but when I clicked on the contact info link, it took me to an online white pages that only gave me drinking water companies! :)

So then I went and searched the forest service website, but the only campgrounds they list in that area are Denny Creek, Tinkham, Middle Fork, and Lake Kachess.

Anyone know how I get in contact with Crystal Springs?

Edited by tianac2

The nearest campground to the Hyak parking where the event will be, is at Crystal Springs Campground which is just at the other end of Keechelus Lake. It's about 9 road miles away.

I've stayed there many times.

Ok, so I went to the link and read the description, but when I clicked on the contact info link, it took me to an online white pages that only gave me drinking water companies! :)

So then I went and searched the forest service website, but the only campgrounds they list in that area are Denny Creek, Tinkham, Middle Fork, and Lake Kachess.

Anyone know how I get in contact with Crystal Springs?

Cle Elum Ranger District, 509/852-1100, fax 509/852-1080

Crystal Springs is nice enough, especially as a Sno-Park in the winter. You might want to bring earplugs, it's closer to I-90 than you might like.

If you are looking to make reservations, they don't take them for Crystal Springs. It's still the good 'ol fashioned 'first come, first served'...however I did find this page with contact information: http://www.nwsource.com/outdoors/scr/of_de...g&rt=914667

That review says you hear the highway noise, but if you get the sites farther in and close to the river, the river noise helps.

I've never stayed at Lake Kachess so I can't comment on that one, but if noise is an issue and you want reservations, I'd try there.