Springbok Cacher

Noddy

:rolleyes:

Proposal

There are cachers out there that are are heads & shoulders above rest. Cachers that cache in rain / shine / dark / cold. Cachers that make the effort to visit caches all over the country. Cachers that travel 200 km for an event cache or a FTF. Cachers that have cached in many of our provinces and have travelled to our next door neighbours or even abroad. Cachers that have placed caches to take other folk to interesting places. Cachers that have the eye / instinct to find a 5/5 cache. Now all of us have done some of the above or most of the above, but not everything.

Those cachers that stand out from the rest should be recognised and its about time that we started planning to award Springbok colours.

I propose that a caching team are awarded their Springbok colours if they complete the following:

2000 cache finds

1000 SA Cache finds

Cache find in all nine provinces

100 cache hides

A respected cacher

A committee would be set up to debate and award colours.

Edited by Noddy

I know this has been bandied about for sometime, and I quite like the idea.

Like the numbers you have put up, except for the number of hides, I certainly wouldn't want to be maintaining that number of caches. Speaking of which, does this refer to active cache hides or just hides? Having said that, it should be a substantial number of sorts, a Springbok should contribute as much as they gain from the community, so perhaps it's not unreasonable.

Next question is what happens when the likes of TVM hit 4000.... 5000..... 10000.... Gold Springbok, platinum?

Look forward to the debate on this one.

"Cache in all nine provinces" - assume that is having found a cache in all nine provinces :rolleyes:

Noddy se voorstel het verseker meriete. En daardie meriete moet ook van toepassing wees by die toeken van prestasie-gerigte eer, in hierdie geval Springbok status vir skatvind. Die wegsteek behoort nie as maatstaf te dien nie.

My opinie sou wees dat daar 'n uitdun moet wees spesifiek om die skatjagters se vemoens te toets. Dit gaan nie hier oor die algemene skatjag nie maar oor 'n kompetisie wat ge-organiseer word. Al is dit dan 9 soortgelyke geleenthede in elke provinsie, maar dit sal op 'n "event" basis gedoen kan word. Ingeskrewe deelnemers wat op 'n spesifieke tyd op 'n spesifieke plek bymekaarkom, die inligting word aan almal gelyk oorhandig en die FTF wen die uitdun. Aan die einde van 9 uitdunne kom die algehele (meeste FTF's) in aanmerking vir Kleure.

Dit is maar dieselfde as al die ander sportsoorte, ge-organiseerde byeenkomste waar spanne meeding ...

My two cents ...

National colours should only be awarded where one competes Internationally ... maybe I don't understand the proposal? ...

Another question comes to mind ... Is geocaching supposed to be competitive? Some might say yes others will say no ... I guess it will differ from cacher to cacher ...

Noddy I understand your proposal/discussion to be rather for more recognition? …

Geocachingranking already has a ranking system in place ... My suggestion would rather be to review the ranking system ... and ... with that I don't say that I disagree with their ranking system ... In fact I think their system gives acknowledgement to cachers on all levels and provides motivation on all levels for the more competitive cacher …

I don't think GR's ranking system is exhausted and there is definitely still scope for the top cachers to work towards a higher ranking. I've seen somewhere on their site they planned or are in the process to implement an additional reward system … ??

Interesting topic ... hmmmm

Happy Hunting! :D:rolleyes:;);)

Edited by Cape_Guy
National colours should only be awarded where one competes Internationally ... maybe I don't understand the proposal? ...

Another question comes to mind ... Is geocaching supposed to be competitive? Some might say yes others will say no ... I guess it will differ from cacher to cacher ...

Noddy I understand your proposal/discussion to be rather for more recognition? …

Geocachingranking already has a ranking system in place ... My suggestion would rather be to review the ranking system ... and ... with that I don't say that I disagree with their ranking system ... In fact I think their system gives acknowledgement to cachers on all levels and provides motivation on all levels for the more competitive cacher …

I don't think GR's ranking system is exhausted and there is definitely still scope for the top cachers to work towards a higher ranking. I've seen somewhere on their site they planned or are in the process to implement an additional reward system … ??

My thoughts as well.

We should not make geocaching competitive.

By all means have a ranking system but awarding colours for finds is a bit........

As the sport/hobby of geocaching is based on mutual trust with the log system, colours will only add to the controversy of double logging, logging DNF as finds etc. You just have to seach the forum to see all the theads on how finds are logged to see that if you bring in a awards system you will just complicate matters more!

Why not award yourself an award coin from CoinsandPins.com

Edited by geocacher_coza

Noddy, my initial thoughts on your proposal were positive, but I've since changed my mind.

My feeling is that geocaching is not meant to be competitive, although there is certainly some friendly rivalry amongst many members! :mad: Your proposal, if implemented, would promote competitiveness.

It may be asked "why not promote competitiveness?" - well, I believe that the fields of play are very uneven and unfair, by the very nature of the game.

Firstly, not all caches require the same amount of skill. Secondly, and I believe this is the more significant point, not all cachers have the same access to time and money in order to reach the milestones proposed. Serious caching requires lots of time and bucks! That alone makes the "competition" very unfair!

My humble opinion is that recognition should rather be given to those cachers that are regarded by their peers as true ambassadors of the game, however that is defined - not by the numbers achieved.

Noddy, my initial thoughts on your proposal were positive, but I've since changed my mind.

My feeling is that geocaching is not meant to be competitive, although there is certainly some friendly rivalry amongst many members! :mad: Your proposal, if implemented, would promote competitiveness.

It may be asked "why not promote competitiveness?" - well, I believe that the fields of play are very uneven and unfair, by the very nature of the game.

Firstly, not all caches require the same amount of skill. Secondly, and I believe this is the more significant point, not all cachers have the same access to time and money in order to reach the milestones proposed. Serious caching requires lots of time and bucks! That alone makes the "competition" very unfair!

My humble opinion is that recognition should rather be given to those cachers that are regarded by their peers as true ambassadors of the game, however that is defined - not by the numbers achieved.

Very valid points Neville....mmmm....pondering

And the nominations are.... As above Neville has a very valid point. I drop my cache hiker at every cache visit be it on a find or revisit or maintenance run and it is scary how many kilometers it has traveled. and that is just as the crow flies. Not everyone can travel like that just to find caches. So a springbok cacher could be a person who has just 30 - 40 finds to his name or a thousand. It all depends on his input and not just output to the game. To be a springbok requires some level of winning. What do we win in this game? Self gratification and a sense of been there, seeing a spot or learning some history. There is no winning in this game unless you count FTF's maybe you can look at that instead. But then you need to work out on FTF in relation to distance traveled to get it, time to get it and ratio to your total finds and days caching and cachers per area..... It can very complicated.... This is for fun.

I'm with Neville on this one.

I also believe quality is easier to achieve without competition.

Noddy, my initial thoughts on your proposal were positive, but I've since changed my mind....

I could not agree more. :mad:

To be or not to be a Springbok cacher good question.

While the all out competiveness in caching circles may not be a good thing for the game in this country as per the general consensus (which we agree) resulting in a lowering of the standards which many are rightly proud of in SA.

Is there not still space for a fun element of being a Springbok Cacher…. ?

We are not talking about numbers here as the ranking page covers that quite adequately enough! But rather some other means – more like tennis rankings – if you are not at the top of your game you are replaced by another team member….

What about counting stars so in a month or period of time a top cacher goes out and finds a few 5* caches either Terrain of Difficulty they should be rewarded more than the wind down the window cacher…. To this end they could carry weight i.e. the stars stay on the profile for a period of 3 months then fall away so if the said cacher does not maintain his ‘Star’ rating he falls in the rankings and maybe out of the ‘team’ of say 15 cachers… (rugby came to mind not sure why….)

After all do cachers not fall into two categories Computer geeks that take there GPS for a walk and Outdoor enthusiasts that go for a walk taking their GPS – should a Springbok cacher be a group of people that are a balance between the two.

We don’t know what the right answer is but it is always good to debate it…. Oh and above all lets just have fun – is that not why we do this……

After all do cachers not fall into two categories Computer geeks that take there GPS for a walk and Outdoor enthusiasts that go for a walk taking their GPS – should a Springbok cacher be a group of people that are a balance between the two.

Yeah I am a bit of both... and the nomineeeeeeee iiiiiiissssssss. What? I think we need more outdoor enthusiasts taking their GPS's for a walk.... there seems to be a lack thereof.

Hey I do everything with my GPS ... Just not on/or with me when I sleep!! ... Hehe

:D:):)

Haa haa, can just imagine it:

Cape Girl: Ah remember when we met and we had our first kiss under the Oak tree in those nice gardens down in Constansia.

Cape Guy: Yes it was great... Oak tree? Can't remember, I can remember the co-ords where at S34° 02.410 E18°25.670.... see I got it saved as a waypoint, think there was a cache near there somewhere too....

Cape girl: (Slap)

Cape Guy: What did I say? Eish!

And who's seen the black springbok?

An Extract from www.southafrica.info

Long before South Africa's first democratic elections in 1994, Errol Tobias sealed his place in South African rugby history by becoming the first black player to start a Test match for the Springboks, when he faced Ireland at Newlands on 30 May 1981. He was 31 at the time.

Actualy saw that match. Is that the Springbok you talking about? :laughing::grin::grin:

Just outside of Vereeniging is a game farm that specializes in the breeding of black Springboks.

BLACK SPRINGBOK: Is not a subspecies, they were developed by selective breeding. Black Springbok are a chocolate brown color, but similar in other respects-

Height: 26-35in

Weight: 45-100lb

SCI minimum score: 27

Found in open dry grasslands and savannas

Blackspringbok.jpg

then you also get a white Springbok

WHITE SPRINGBOK: Is not a subspecies, but a color phase that was developed by selective breeding.

White Springbok is all white except, for the dark facial stripes and very dark eyelashes-

Height: 26-35in

Weight: 45-100lb

SCI minimum score: 25

Found in open dry grasslands and savannas

n-springbok-white-shawn.jpg

Edited by geocacher_coza

Geocaching should stay as a hobby with the rewards of getting to places to see and things to do. To me it is fun to see my ranking on geocacher.co.za. I noted that some geocacher are very active the moment you pass him/her on the ranking. The competitive edge is there but a little bit hidden.

If you start to talk springbok colours you also need to bring affirmative action and numbers into the equation. In this field it is going to be hard and difficult. You will enter a mine field like none.

I do believe that there are cachers out there that do make a huge difference. I do not like to quote examples but let us discuss some examples. Wazat has done a lot in the Newcastle area to promote the sport. Then there is Fisheagle in Nelspruit, he is always ready to help you even when you are asking stupid questions. He has a passion for the caches and his trackables. Log a problem on his cache and he will fix it in a reasonable time span. Even with problems with other geocaches from a different owner he will attend or comment when a problem is experienced. Then there are cachers such as Brick and Cabey. Cabey has done a lot and he is still young, should he not receive some sort of award?

There must be a system for recognizing geocachers. It must be something like a bronze, silver, gold and a platinum award in the form of a nice certificate. This should not only be based on numbers but on the good he does. I see a lot of cachers out there that takes time to repair caches and to fill caches again if it is empty. I see cachers that are really trying to promote the sport. I see good caches which brings a wonderful feeling to me. I see feedback on certain caches where I experienced a problem. I personally believe that a specific event must be dedicated to these cachers. I think one should hold an event where these rewards must be issued. To log such an event one must receive an award. This will highlight the cachers that are making a difference. This will force some geocachers in a direction to improve the sport. The geocacher with only 100 finds or less should also be able to receive such an award. Maybe cachers with good hides, number of newbies introduced to the sport, promotion, repairs to caches, filling of caches, constructive comments and feedback should form part of these awards.

Only my thoughts.

Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

I do believe that there are cachers out there that do make a huge difference. I do not like to quote examples but let us discuss some examples. Wazat has done a lot in the Newcastle area to promote the sport.

Blushing.... I am honoured that you mention me.... Thank you very much.

In a nutshell, when I started selling GPS units some 5 years ago I got an email from Avnic regarding Geocaching, the one that Brick had submitted to Getaway Magazine. I was still new to GPS and thought hey that looks interesting. Sadly I never bought a unit at the time as they were way too expensive for me even at the cost price I would have got them at. I did however get to use a Foretrex that I demoed at cycle races. I never really looked into Geocaching as it was just not all that popular and only centered around the big centers far away. I eventually left the job I was in and that was it with regards to GPS for a while. Then early last year I bought my first GPS. I had forgotten about the email I had received from Avnic, but looking in an old folder on my computer for GPS info I came across it again. I thought I might as well look at what it is all about and was surprised to see 3 or 4 caches in the Newcastle area. Great let me go and find them. The first one had me stumped, and I just couldn't find it, second one much the same. Then after a long search on the 3rd I found it. Went back to where the first one was and found that too, back to the second one and got another find. The 4th was a nice long drive out of up a mountain pass that my little Corsa was going to regret for making it up so easy. It was the birth of my go anywhere 4x4 Corsa and me hooked on Geocaching. From there it has been a year of frustration, fun and adventure and I have loved it all. I have done nearly every cache in my 100 mile radius bar a few up some mountains and some that are off my normal travel area. I have placed some 40 caches and held an event that transpired out of a visit from our great friend Andy other wise known as Fish Eagle. An event I must add I hardly even attended as I was called out during the course of the event. The caches I have placed have been in most areas I have traveled during work and a few slightly off my normal route. Some I get to visit more often than I had expected others less often. I am one of them guys who will revisit a cache ever so often if I am in the area, moving coins TB's and just stopping for a break, a photo or to read logs and check up on a cache... The other element is the great friends I have made. To be able to meet up with the people behind the little plastic containers. That is the best part. It is interesting how people from all walks of life have a common interest that can bring us all together. Caching is a sport that knows no boundaries....

In general, I am a cache addict. There is no cure. If ever they should be a springbok cacher out there it should be for each and every one of the cachers in South Africa that make this a hobby to be enjoyed. Without all the people who place the caches and those that visit the caches, there would be no fun in this. I salute you all. Springboks all.

I do believe that there are cachers out there that do make a huge difference. I do not like to quote examples but let us discuss some examples. Wazat has done a lot in the Newcastle area to promote the sport. Then there is Fisheagle in Nelspruit, he is always ready to help you even when you are asking stupid questions. He has a passion for the caches and his trackables. Log a problem on his cache and he will fix it in a reasonable time span. Even with problems with other geocaches from a different owner he will attend or comment when a problem is experienced. Then there are cachers such as Brick and Cabey. Cabey has done a lot and he is still young, should he not receive some sort of award?
There must be a system for recognizing geocachers

You just used the system to recognize the geocachers that makes a difference! You mentioned names that rightly deserved to be mentioned and thanked them for all the good work that is done. There are many more that stand out above the rest and all we should do as geocachers is actively thank those you think needs it! Use the forum for that, maybe have a pinned thread set up or something like that.

When you start with certificates etc. you must start to regulate the sport/hobby. And as you rightly said, then all the problems starts!

If ever they should be a springbok cacher out there it should be for each and every one of the cachers in South Africa that make this a hobby to be enjoyed. Without all the people who place the caches and those that visit the caches, there would be no fun in this. I salute you all. Springboks all.

I think the above statement by WAZAT sums it all up!

Edited by geocacher_coza

Yes, you are right. That is why I said that I do not like names and I mentioned only a few as an example, the list is not exhaustive. If one read carefully then I am trying to sell an idea and not the names. So one must shift your attention to the idea and not focus on the name. The focus once again is not on names. Let us highlight this idea further,

I have seen this working at our workplace. We have what we called an employer of the month. Sometimes I propose a name sometimes my team will propose a name. I then draft a proposal why a certain employee should get the employer of the month. This proposal must be defended at a management meeting. The management team members then take this proposal to their own team members and they discuss it. If they return for the next meeting their mind is made up. The majority vote of the senior managers is then done. It is then also decided if he/she gets bronze, sliver or gold. The employee is then handed a basket full of goodies. At the next 3 monthly meeting with the CEO this certificate is handed to the employee by himself.

It is amazing to see the effect on morale and to realise that you are sometimes missing the good they do. In the last seven years this system is working; it is transparent and it is open to all. A manager can get it and an employee sweeping the floor can get it. The best is that the system is used for all achievements – working long hours to get something going, attitude to the company, sick leave not used for the year, commitment, a new idea. The employer of the month is also not for one person, the company allows more than one employer of the month. If this works at a company it should work for a geocachers.

I believe that there are various gecocachers that must be recognized for their systems and input. I am very fortunate to be in a position where I am in the middle of many caches in a relative short travelling distance. But I do see a lot of people that are staying far away from any cachers and they travel a lot. Without mentioning names there is a person in KZP, more east from me and not south, which do have a high cache number that is really travelling to get to a cache. One of the cachers I know is staying near Upington. It will take a lifetime to get to 1000 caches. When you focus on awarding colours on numbers you can not compare these guys with a person for example in Gauteng or in Cape Town.

I think the idea should now be clear and my viewpoint of colours. Colours could be destructive and morale breaking for some cachers. We should focus more on the cachers out there that are doing a difference bit by bit and that includes geocaching.co.za which do not gain financially but is delivering a great value added service to cachers. I hope my viewpoint is now clear.

Gerhard

We should focus more on the cachers out there that are doing a difference bit by bit

Well who's going to start the thread then! Something in the line of "South African Geocaching honour role" We could ask it to be a pinned thread.

Some small "rules" like a name should be nominated and the second by a few poeple.

Lets get some more input here! :)