HELP ME PLZ!

hoagii

Hey guys im new to geocaching, my friends and I have found 5 or so. It's really hard to find them without a GPS, so im in the market of looking for one. Im a student so i dont have much money to spent on one, so my question to you is: What is a cheap GPS that will have everthing I need to go geocaching??

Well,, all you "really need" is a GPS that will show you the direction and distance to the cache site. Maps are nice but not crutial if you're on a budget. No urgent need for color screens or autorouting either. All these features are nice though, and perhaps once you get your feet wet & decide they're useful, you can include them on your NEXT GPS purchase :rolleyes:

You can grab a basic GPS for around-or-under $100 at most sporting good stores. Something like this model is all you really need ;)

http://www.tigergps.com/garminetrexh.html

Hey guys im new to geocaching, my friends and I have found 5 or so. It's really hard to find them without a GPS, so im in the market of looking for one. Im a student so i dont have much money to spent on one, so my question to you is: What is a cheap GPS that will have everthing I need to go geocaching??

You'll probably get more help if you go into more detail:

1) define "cheap"

2) define your needs. Do you want it to display a map? Color screen? Hook up to your computer? If so, serial port or USB?

I'd suggest going to someplace that sells them and play with a few - you'll immediately begin to discern ones you like and ones you don't.

Don't make the mistake of getting one that is too "cheap." You really want one that connects to your computer with USB instead of with the Serial Port.

The newer Garmin 'H' models have the "High Sensitivity" receivers which you will want if you cache in forested areas. An older model will just be too frustrating to use.

Now, if you lived in the Arizona desert, an older, discontinued GPS unit like the Legend C, which you might get for less than $100, might work just fine. It connects with USB.

Edit for typos . . .

Edited by Miragee

Garmin Geko 201 can be had for under $70 new with cable. I got one and it works great... paid about $50 shipped for the device and another $20 shipped for a cable with USB connector built in.

My last little expedition it got me closer to caches than my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx... which is a $300 unit.

1) define "cheap"

2) define your needs. Do you want it to display a map? Color screen? Hook up to your computer? If so, serial port or USB?

I'd suggest going to someplace that sells them and play with a few - you'll immediately begin to discern ones you like and ones you don't.

1) Well JSWilson64 like i said im a student so cheap is as low to 0 as you can get.

2) Also like i said i need one for geocaching, it doesnt matter about color screen or not.....

1) Well JSWilson64 like i said im a student so cheap is as low to 0 as you can get.

2) Also like i said i need one for geocaching, it doesnt matter about color screen or not.....

So, steal one. That's free. Problem solved. (that part was sarcastic)

Or, you could try thinking about it, maybe even try a few GPSrs out, and post again once you can articulate what you want to know. (that part was serious)

Edited by JSWilson64

1) define "cheap"

The thing is, the color screen is not a luxury. The newer, better GPS units have color screens. If you get an older one, with the monochrome screen, it will not get the same reception and will be frustrating to use. Also, the older ones with the monochrome screen usually connect to a computer with the Serial Port. If your computer doesn't have a Serial Port, you have to get an adapter cable, which adds to the total cost . . . and can add headaches since some are hard to configure. :mad:

Go buy this one. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/ele/597224360.html

I think it's located close to you.

If you hate it you should be able to sell it on ebay for at least $50. Here's the downside on this unit.

1.) monochrome (Color screens are MUCH easier to read)

2.) Serial connection to PC (If you don't have a serial port on your PC I wouldn't buy it.)

3.) Not High sensitivity (You will lose signal in heavy foliage)

4.) You'll have to buy a pc cable for it. ($15 on ebay)

5.) Lame color

Edited by sanramonhunter