Having issues creating caches

Ok, so I started making some caches for putting around the area and I am having the hardest time finding some glue that will work. I purchased some high power magnets and plan on making a few magnetic caches. In the order I also got some lower power ones I put on a pill box for a cool little magnetic cache I put out. First I will start with the high power ones. I have gone from super glue to 2800psi epoxy and I cannot get them to stay on the lock and lock I have tried to attach them to. I have sanded the area I wanted to attach to make it a little more rough so the glue will stick better, but to no avail... Then I had the pill box all set...the super glue seemed to be holding these smaller magnets just fine but after checking my cache last night I had to replace it since 3 of the 5 magnets pulled off. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

JR

Ok, so I started making some caches for putting around the area and I am having the hardest time finding some glue that will work. I purchased some high power magnets and plan on making a few magnetic caches. In the order I also got some lower power ones I put on a pill box for a cool little magnetic cache I put out. First I will start with the high power ones. I have gone from super glue to 2800psi epoxy and I cannot get them to stay on the lock and lock I have tried to attach them to. I have sanded the area I wanted to attach to make it a little more rough so the glue will stick better, but to no avail... Then I had the pill box all set...the super glue seemed to be holding these smaller magnets just fine but after checking my cache last night I had to replace it since 3 of the 5 magnets pulled off. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

JR

The problem with gluing a magnet to an LnL is that the plastic flexes, causing the magnet to pop off.

I would try to glue them on using a flexible adhesive like Marine Goop.

If you're not in a hot environ, hot glue will work too (sticks to anything). As said though, put the magnets inside the container.

If you're someplace where it's gonna get hot inside the cache though.. Hot glue = baaad.

In an area where it get real cold, hot glue = baaad. Hot glue gets hard and brittle in the winters up here. It pops right off.

I'd have to agree that using strong magnets placed inside the container is probably going to work best for you. I like the magnets from old hard drives. They are insanely strong.

That's what I do, put powerful magnets inside the cache. That way all I need is some duct tape to hold them in place. Rare Earth magnets work great for this.

I have a hard drive magnet inside an Altoids tin and that cache gets frequent complaints that it's too hard to remove. I've also used two of these 1" round Rare Earth magnets in the lid of Lock n Locks and they have held the cache solidly in place.

If you're not in a hot environ, hot glue will work too (sticks to anything). As said though, put the magnets inside the container.

If you're someplace where it's gonna get hot inside the cache though.. Hot glue = baaad.

In an area where it get real cold, hot glue = baaad. Hot glue gets hard and brittle in the winters up here. It pops right off.

Learn something new every day. Here in Tucson, cold = 50. :rolleyes:

Gorilla Glue has yet to let me down but I haven't tried it with magnets

From my own pre-placement testing: Gorilla Glue will still give you the same problem as super glue when it comes to attaching magnets to a semi-flexable plastic container. It dries rigid and will pop off if the container bends- like when you pull the container off the metal object you just stuck it to and the magnet really wants to hang on.

I'd put the magnet(s) inside the plastic container and encase them in silicone caulk. Less chance of the magnets getting all chipped up when the finder re-attaches them to the metal object too.

What I use for my micros(bison tubes & pill bottles) is J B Weld 2 part epoxy. I use and old metal pie pan, flip it up side down and place a piece of paper on it. Stick the magnets to it and glue. I sand them first and apply glue to container then put the container on the magnet so the glue will encase it. A friend told me if they start to pop off to do what he does, He drills a small hole into the container first then force some glue into the hole and into the container where it will mushroom out and plug the hole plus hold the magnet.