Geocachers taxing police resources

2happy2gether

Well, the article is right. These things are supposed to be placed with permission from the property owner. Any lamp skirt micro or tube-in-the-woods-behind-a-big-box is 99% likely to be in violation of these terms. The cache reviewers really should start clamping down on this before the police get totally fed up with us.

You can guess how I feel about these urban, no-hike, "nothing but a log book" caches designed to test the limits of how "stealthy" you can be.

Well, the article is right. These things are supposed to be placed with permission from the property owner. Any lamp skirt micro or tube-in-the-woods-behind-a-big-box is 99% likely to be in violation of these terms. The cache reviewers really should start clamping down on this before the police get totally fed up with us.

You can guess how I feel about these urban, no-hike, "nothing but a log book" caches designed to test the limits of how "stealthy" you can be.

That’s it boys and girls, back to the woods. I hope the trails and conservation authorities are ready for the high traffic surge. :ph34r:

That's it boys and girls, back to the woods. I hope the trails and conservation authorities are ready for the high traffic surge. :ph34r:

Heh. Well, the point stands. If you really want to place an urban skirt-lifter, OK, fine. But get permission to do so (if they'll let you!) so it's kosher. I think that would solve a lot of problems -- fewer issues with police and "suspicious activity" and fewer lame caches, as you'd have to find ways of justifying them to the property owner. No more nano containers hidden beside trash dumpsters. And, honestly, I would be much more open-minded about searching around said trash dumpster for a cache if I knew that the proprietor OK'd its placement. So even "lame" hides become somewhat less lame. Everybody wins!

That's it boys and girls, back to the woods. I hope the trails and conservation authorities are ready for the high traffic surge. :ph34r:

Heh. Well, the point stands. If you really want to place an urban skirt-lifter, OK, fine. But get permission to do so (if they'll let you!) so it's kosher. I think that would solve a lot of problems -- fewer issues with police and "suspicious activity" and fewer lame caches, as you'd have to find ways of justifying them to the property owner. No more nano containers hidden beside trash dumpsters. And, honestly, I would be much more open-minded about searching around said trash dumpster for a cache if I knew that the proprietor OK'd its placement. So even "lame" hides become somewhat less lame. Everybody wins!

As I posted in another thread. Getting permission does not guarantee your cache doesn't get blown up. Even when you get permission from the police.

That's it boys and girls, back to the woods. I hope the trails and conservation authorities are ready for the high traffic surge. :laughing:

Like this? Unfortunately, the elaborate cache description didn't tell seekers to be "stealthy" in the Wally World parking lot. :rolleyes:

I do agree with RK and KW though. Just because you get permission from one person in management doesn't mean another person might disagree totally with a cache, or not know about it, and call the police.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel