Need help finding coins

Belfrypotters

I thought a couple of unactivated geocoins would make a nice gift for a family of cachers, but there are so many to choose from that I don't know where to start looking. After checking out these forums for a few days I decided to ask for help. I'd like to buy coins that reflect their areas of interest, which are:

Cats (I've ordered Cat Got Your Cache, and one for me too; I hope this isn't addictive :ph34r:)

Martial arts (taekwondo I think)

Trains (he's a mechanic who fixes train engines)

Girl Guides or Brownies

Reading and Writing (two authors in the family)

Heavy metal (the music)

Fantasy stuff (they used to play Dungeons and Dragons)

If you know of any coins that might be a good fit, I could sure use some ideas. And if you have any thoughts about whether a six year old can deal with the loss of her coin, if it goes missing, that might help too. I'm willing to reconsider the whole coin idea if it's only going to end up causing tears.

Hi,

I'm sure there are a lot of folks that will jump in and point you in the right direction for some of the coins you've listed, so hang tight.

If the goal is to give them to the cachers to set free, I'm not sure about the 6-year old. Some deal with loss like it's no big deal, while I could see others thinking it was the end of the world.

I know for sure there are coins for:

Cats

Trains

Heavy Metal (guitars and one Pink Floyd reference although I'm not sure I'd classify them as heavy metal :ph34r: )

Fantasy Stuff - yep, fairies, dragons, etc.

The ones I've not seen:

Girl Guides or Brownies

Reading and Writing

Martial Arts (there is a Hong Kong coin, but if it's for TKD, then that's the wrong country)

Good luck.

I love this site I just type in a word like "cats" in the search box and it will bring up some coins in that area if you find something you like...go to the trading thread ( some coins may be sold out) but if you fgo to the trading thread and ask if anyone is interested in selling the coins you are looking for you might have better luck :huh:

geocoin collecting

hope this helps you ...good luck :ph34r:

I stand corrected.

Ok fine :ph34r:

Jangor's Kitties (cat)

Geocat (cat)

Goudacat (cat)

Lucky Scratch n win Pirate Cat (cat)

ranger216 trainset (train)

STeam Traen (train)

double dragon (dragon)

triple dragon (dragon)

masters of cache dragon (dragon)

Emerald Dragon (dragon)

Gold Dragon (dragon)

Geocaching dragon (dragon)

dresseldragons (dragon)

GeoGuitars (rock music)

Book Crossing (reading)

Feel better sir? :huh:

Thanks to everyone for your help, suggestions, and emails. Once I had some good specific search terms (thanks Moop Along) I had much better success, especially when I went to Google instead of searching just the forums. We've found more coins and coin sellers than we ever knew existed, and that geocoin collecting website The-Wolf-Pack linked to is incredible! Now we just have to decide. I can see why availability might be an issue, and now I understand why you all do the "countdown" when new coins are released. Fortunately this is a Christmas present, so I should have enough time to find something good. EBay will be a last resort, as I've had zero success bidding on anything, ever.

I really like the triple dragon coin, and might order one in each of three colours, plus a few others theme coins, plus a few extras for us to use as FTF and NTF prizes in our caches. A coin is a much nicer gift than a Tim Hortons coffee card, I think. So thanks for the help!

I thought a couple of unactivated geocoins would make a nice gift for a family of cachers, but there are so many to choose from that I don't know where to start looking. After checking out these forums for a few days I decided to ask for help. I'd like to buy coins that reflect their areas of interest, which are:

Cats (I've ordered Cat Got Your Cache, and one for me too; I hope this isn't addictive :rolleyes:)

Martial arts (taekwondo I think)

Trains (he's a mechanic who fixes train engines)

Girl Guides or Brownies

Reading and Writing (two authors in the family)

Heavy metal (the music)

Fantasy stuff (they used to play Dungeons and Dragons)

If you know of any coins that might be a good fit, I could sure use some ideas. And if you have any thoughts about whether a six year old can deal with the loss of her coin, if it goes missing, that might help too. I'm willing to reconsider the whole coin idea if it's only going to end up causing tears.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw a nice one on Ebay with a dragon/fantasy theme:

Eragon Saphira Geocoin GOLD South Africa ERAGON

Ebay number 290222512256

Current bid is at $7.99 (Plus S&H @ $4.00) with 5+ days to go.

This coin is based on a book:

Abomination Book Geocoin

and it's available and on sale :rolleyes:

And maybe this one?

Kid's Geocoin V2

edit to add another coin

Smort78, Thanks for posting the link to the Abomination coin. I just ordered a couple, but what really cracked me up is the description of the book on the cache page....

"A serial killer mutilates his victims, leaving the bodies at various geocaching sites with obscure religious references. When the killer targets Eve Andreakos, a woman he holds responsible for his wife's death, she barely escapes with her life. Eve flees to Rock Harbor with 2 year old Keri. Eve has just begun to relax when she and her friend Bree stumble on a mutilated body at a geocaching site"

What makes this funny to me is that my name is Eve, and my frequent caching partner is Bre (close, eh?). So I'm ordering the book too. Thanks again for the post!

This coin is based on a book:

Abomination Book Geocoin

and it's available and on sale :laughing:

And maybe this one?

Kid's Geocoin V2

edit to add another coin

Smort78, Thanks for posting the link to the Abomination coin. I just ordered a couple, but what really cracked me up is the description of the book on the cache page....

"A serial killer mutilates his victims, leaving the bodies at various geocaching sites with obscure religious references. When the killer targets Eve Andreakos, a woman he holds responsible for his wife's death, she barely escapes with her life. Eve flees to Rock Harbor with 2 year old Keri. Eve has just begun to relax when she and her friend Bree stumble on a mutilated body at a geocaching site"

What makes this funny to me is that my name is Eve, and my frequent caching partner is Bre (close, eh?). So I'm ordering the book too. Thanks again for the post!

:D

I saw a nice one on Ebay with a dragon/fantasy theme:

Eragon Saphira Geocoin GOLD South Africa ERAGON

Ebay number 290222512256

Current bid is at $7.99 (Plus S&H @ $4.00) with 5+ days to go.

This is a lovely coin, and I've joined the bidding. Apparently looking into coins for a Christmas gift wasn't such a hot idea - in the last 24 hours I have purchased 11 coins. One of those was on Ebay, which was pretty cool as I've never been a successful bidder on anything before. I'm also bidding on five other coins. I plan to give away as gifts, or activate and release, all of them. Yeah, right.

This is a lovely coin, and I've joined the bidding. Apparently looking into coins for a Christmas gift wasn't such a hot idea - in the last 24 hours I have purchased 11 coins. One of those was on Ebay, which was pretty cool as I've never been a successful bidder on anything before. I'm also bidding on five other coins. I plan to give away as gifts, or activate and release, all of them. Yeah, right.

Oh no. Just as expected. Another addict :laughing: