Crunching Numbers

Keith Watson

After crunching a few numbers last month, I came up with some interesting statistics.

Most Caches

1 Ontario

2 Quebec

3 British Columbia

4 Alberta

5 Nova Scotia

6 New Brunswick

7 Manitoba

8 Newfoundland

9 Saskatchewan

10 Prince Edward Island

11 Yukon

12 Northwest Territories

13 Nunavut

Cache Density By Area (Best chance at finding a cache)

1 Prince Edward Island

2 Nova Scotia

3 New Brunswick

4 Ontario

5 British Columbia

6 Alberta

7 Quebec

8 Newfoundland

9 Manitoba

10 Saskatchewan

11 Yukon

12 Northwest Territories

13 Nunavut

Per Capita (Most nuts about caching)

1 New Brunswick

2 Nova Scotia

3 Prince Edward Island

4 Yukon

5 Newfoundland

6 British Columbia

7 Manitoba

8 Alberta

9 Northwest Territories

10 Quebec

11 Saskatchewan

12 Ontario

13 Nunavut

I'd love to see # of micros per capita.

Ooooh that would be embarrassing! The lamest cache producing province. That assumes, of course, that you feel the same way about the deluge of micro's as I do.

Lord I hope my province isn't leading that list, but I won't lay money against it either!

BC Comes in at 1273 micros including 136 inactive out of 7407 total including 573 inactive 17.2% total or 16.6% of active caches... ugh!

Edited by WCoaster

If police forces keep getting bomb scares for drive up micro's at Home Depot, the problem may take care of itself.

I don't think that's going to make too much of a dent. :ph34r:

After extensive, exhaustive research, I've determined that 2 of Nunavut's 17 caches are micros, or 11.76%. :huh:

1 Prince Edward Island

PEI has less than 500 caches in 5,683 square kilometers. In just 1,400 sq.km of Toronto (the main part) there are almost 600 caches which is about 400% more dense.

If you take everything in Ontario from 44°40' south you would have over 6,000 caches in around 85,000 sq.km which is approximately the same density as PEI, but in an area 5 times the size.

So, my conclusions are:

1. You have a better chance of finding a cache in southern Ontario than PEI

2. PEI is really really small.

3. I'd love to go caching in PEI.

1 Prince Edward Island

PEI has less than 500 caches in 5,683 square kilometers. In just 1,400 sq.km of Toronto (the main part) there are almost 600 caches which is about 400% more dense.

If you take everything in Ontario from 44°40' south you would have over 6,000 caches in around 85,000 sq.km which is approximately the same density as PEI, but in an area 5 times the size.

So, my conclusions are:

Unfortunately your numbers wont work if you happen to live near James Bay.

Fortunately I will be caching in PEI this summer.

I like that cache density by population base ratio. Well, only cause it gives BC some incredible numbers.

The main part of Vancouver Lower Mainland is roughly 1570 sqkm (We got a lot of bays, inlets, and a massive river) with 1237 caches in that area. That is 1 cache every 1.3 sqkm. But, as per usual Victoria is still ahead of the game. 638 sqkm with 949 caches. that is 1 cache per 0.7 sqkm! :rolleyes: Doesn't seem like you could make it to the corner store without tripping over one.

So, how do the BC urban centers stack up for micros? ;)

Again Victoria shows itself as caching Mecca with 149 micros, below the provincial average at only 15.7%. The VLM rings in with a hefty 314 or 25 eeking %. I think we have found our curve wrecker. 1 in 4? Can that be right?

Hey it's not about the numbers, right? But maybe there is room for a sociology dissertation here! :laughing:

1 Prince Edward Island

So, my conclusions are:

Umm now is that really a fair comparison when:

Greater Toronto Area had a population of 5,555,912 in the 2006 Census.

The entire Province of PEI had a population of 135,851 in the 2006 census.

Remembering of course it takes people to place them in the empty space.

1 Prince Edward Island

So, my conclusions are:

Umm now is that really a fair comparison when:

Yes, because all I am commenting on is cache density (caches per square kilometre).

After crunching a few numbers last month, I came up with some interesting statistics.

Most Caches

1 Ontario

2 Quebec

3 British Columbia

4 Alberta

5 Nova Scotia

6 New Brunswick

7 Manitoba

8 Newfoundland

9 Saskatchewan

10 Prince Edward Island

11 Yukon

12 Northwest Territories

13 Nunavut

Where would I find the numbers that go with this list? I am teaching some junior high kids how to geocache and would like to show them how the sport is growing. I don't know how to find the numbers per province. I am well aware that it changes everyday, I just want to give them an idea.

Thanks,

Guiderchachi