Your farthest away found cache

:laughing:March 2005 - 9608.6 miles from my Digs in Yuma, AZ - Mwingi, Kenya GC3FBA

While living in Kibwezi Town, I passed through this village (Mwingi) on several occasions. Yes the soda was usually warm --- away of life. I spent two and a half years in Kenya, with the Peace-Corps. Developing a water system and teaching at a Youth Poly-Tech ..................... :rolleyes:

I thought I might have the furthest but yours beats mine by 1500 miles. I was in Zambia on business in November and grabbed one cache in Zimbabwe (Victoria Falls) but on the way there I grabbed one in Johannesburg, South Africa (GC15TVT). It's 8132.6 from my home coordinates (Ithaca, NY).

I'm currently on vacatin and found three caches today that are 456 miles from home. Coincidently, on one of them the previous two logs (from two days ago) are from two geocachers that live about 13 miles from me. On the drive on the way down I grabbed a cache about 300 miles from home that was owned by someone I met last summer while searching for a night cache. I noticed one other log in that cache from another cacher I'd met at home.

There was a thread once about finding the antipode to your home coordinates (or something like that). Might be interesting to dredge that one up, it would let people know the general "target area" for a farthest-away cache.

StumpWater

Looks like most of us in North America would be caching in the middle of the Indian Ocean...

8e2e98cd-67b3-4186-87df-23550de4b228.jpg

Edited by TrailGators

Mine is 7434.10 miles. The cache (GCW402 - Jebel Ali Jumble) is in Dubai, UAE. I managed to get two of them there with no GPSr. A very understanding taxi driver, a smartphone with the downloaded maps and sattelite photos, and the cache descriptions saved on the phone got me the finds!

I also managed to get one in Amsterdam - 4884.39 (GCXNEC - AMS2 - Nooit Meer...) on a layover on the way home!

Not too bad for a business trip...

Edited by Kiddbichin
There was a thread once about finding the antipode to your home coordinates (or something like that). Might be interesting to dredge that one up, it would let people know the general "target area" for a farthest-away cache.

StumpWater

You got me curious what would be the farthest cache from my home that I could find and I found this one in Madagascar. It is 11,101 miles from my home.

a measly 10.5 miles for me, SE of where i live

you people have too much time on your hands................and GPSes

Sorry but there's only one within 10.5 miles of me that isn't mine. I have to go further afield.

not quite sure what you mean by that.

i only got 56 finds

a measly 10.5 miles for me, SE of where i live

you people have too much time on your hands................and GPSes

Sorry but there's only one within 10.5 miles of me that isn't mine. I have to go further afield.

not quite sure what you mean by that.

i only got 56 finds

You said we have to much time on our hands because we went so far to find caches. There is only one cache within 14 miles of my home coords that was not hidden by me. If I didn't go more than 10.5 miles, I would have only one find.

StumpWater

Not hard. Switch out north/south, east/west, and go to Google Earth.

Think I will, just to see where I spash down.

mine is 4081 and change km from my home coordinates. i did a cross canada trip and geocached all the way home from bc to nova scotia.

it is cache GCK1CY.

i also set out one nearby with my son in tow (who is noew a geocacher himself) which is GC123W1. it is also 4081 plus change km from home. i cant believe i drove that far. my son takes care of that cache for us when we arent down thataway visiting him.

:) Our's is 4397.3 miles W. Loved it. Kauai, HI But what do you consider Home? We live full time in our RV and travel alot. Always cache in each area. Spend most of our time in Traverse City, MI so for now, consider it home. Edited by Cee&Gee

Mine is 2156 miles away, in the western suburbs of Portland Oregon. I passed through there on the day when I made the pilgrimage to the Original Stash location.

I would have thought that either Whidbey Island, Washington or Newport Beach, California would be farther away from Pittsburgh. But, just because you're close to the ocean doesn't count. Longitude lines don't lie.

My farthest was about 9400 miles and it was at the South Pole. Anyone else have the South Pole? Didn't think so. Ha! :):):D:D:D:DB):D:D

Well, they didn't have a cache at Patriot Hills or on top of Mt. Vinson, which are much more interesting locations than the South Pole. When I do the Last Degree ski tour in a couple years, I will visit the Pole as well. Besides, I locate caches, I don't "find" them.

But my 3 (or 5) farthest actually visited so far (from SFBay Area) are GCB0D5 (Farthest Southern Cache, a virtual in Punta Arenas. Chile, 6963.9 mi), GCGETW (Karibu! - You Made It! - virtual at the summit of Kilimanjaro, 9723.6 mi), and GCBD7C (Murano Island a nice traditional in an interesting place 6044.2 mi), or I could substitute GCJM15 (Vogalonga Venezia - a traditional in Venice, Italy, that was missing when we were there, though we were at the location while it was disabled 6045.9 mi) or a beautiful virtual GC7BFF (The Snail, in Venice, at 6044.8 mi). There were at least 3 cachers who were at GCGETW the same day I was there (this past Christmas Eve Day, 2 of who were also from the US).