Least cache-rich environment

Just for fun (knowing full well that LA doesn't fit your criteria), I thought it would be fun to look at our stats for comparison!

Los Angeles

Area: 498.3 sq mi

Population (2006)

- City 3,849,378

- Metro 12,875,587

City Hall Coords: 34.053619, -118.242996 (given on the Wiki page, actually)

So I used your 50 mile radius from City Hall and we have 10870 in that 50 miles.

*faint* I have some major caching to do!

~Ariel

Are you using the city search on the seek page? That page lists cities over 20,000, not 100,000.

There are 133 caches in 50 miles of El Dorado, Arkansas (and only one in the city the last time I looked), but the population is only about 21,000. That's the lowest I've personally seen, but I could probably do better if I did some research.

Edited by DavidMac

Are you using the city search on the seek page? That page lists cities over 20,000, not 100,000.

There are 133 caches in 50 miles of El Dorado, Arkansas, but the population is only about 21,000.

Man that makes it even worse. We have just over 100,000 here and a town of 21,000 still has more caches than us. :laughing:

I've been to Camp Grafton in Devils Lake before Geocaching existed (flew into Grand Forks), and I have actually surfed the listings, or lack thereof, in your area. Yup, pretty dead. I'll never forget the miles of fields of sunflowers grown as crops. :laughing: So we talking U.S. only here? I'm sure there are cities in Canada that have you beat. And I'm sure the capital City of Zimbabwe, for example, is less cache dense. :D

I haven't used it that much, but I have seen that City Search of 20,000 or more population before, as someone mentioned.

There are 133 caches in 50 miles of El Dorado, Arkansas, but the population is only about 21,000.

Man that makes it even worse. We have just over 100,000 here and a town of 21,000 still has more caches than us. :laughing:

I've been to Camp Grafton in Devils Lake before Geocaching existed (flew into Grand Forks), and I have actually surfed the listings, or lack thereof, in your area. Yup, pretty dead. I'll never forget the miles of fields of sunflowers grown as crops. :D So we talking U.S. only here? I'm sure there are cities in Canada that have you beat. And I'm sure the capital City of Zimbabwe, for example, is less cache dense. :D

I haven't used it that much, but I have seen that City Search of 20,000 or more population before, as someone mentioned.

:laughing:

Yeah US cities. I picked 100,000 as an arbitrary number for a larger town. But now even looking at towns with 20,000 or more, 113 caches in 50 miles is still pretty low.

I've been to Camp Grafton in Devils Lake before Geocaching existed (flew into Grand Forks), and I have actually surfed the listings, or lack thereof, in your area. Yup, pretty dead. I'll never forget the miles of fields of sunflowers grown as crops. :D So we talking U.S. only here? I'm sure there are cities in Canada that have you beat. And I'm sure the capital City of Zimbabwe, for example, is less cache dense. :D

:laughing:

Yeah US cities. I picked 100,000 as an arbitrary number for a larger town. But now even looking at towns with 20,000 or more, 113 caches in 50 miles is still pretty low.

Hmm. I'd figure somewhere in the Great Plains. Hopefully someone will check in. You should let Canada play, how many caches can there possibly be near Moose Jaw?

Hmm. I'd figure somewhere in the Great Plains. Hopefully someone will check in. You should let Canada play, how many caches can there possibly be near Moose Jaw?

Why not?! Canada too.

In fact what is the fewest caches within 50 miles of a metro area (pop of 100,000+), and what is the fewest caches within 50 miles of a town with 20,000 to 99,000.

So far Metro area: Grand Forks ND/MN - 113 caches

Town: Minot ND - 54 caches

Edit to shorten the number of quotes.

Edited by Totem Clan

192 caches within 79.8 km of Moose Jaw (50 miles is ~80.47 km). Population of Moose Jaw = 32,132 (2006 census)

55 caches within 76 km of Prince Albert, SK; population = 34,138 (2006 census)

Fairly similarly populated cities, but the main difference is that Moose Jaw is in the southern part of the province which was more densely settled. Also, it's quite close to Regina, so many of the caches listed in that radius were hidden by Reginans in areas between both cities. Prince Albert, on the other hand, is right on the edge of the forested part of the province and there are many lakes nearby. Not very many roads, sparsely populated, etc...

Edited by hurleyanne

Well, the great city of Gary, IN seems to have around 10 or so within its city limits. That's a city ~100,000!

If you've ever been to Gary.....you'll understand why.

Of course, one you get outside of the city, there are 2880 within 50 miles....

Gallup, NM.....~20,000.....48 caches within 50 miles......

Even Death Valley has 297 within 50 miles.....

Edited by PhxChem

look just northish of Detroit...

Where abouts?

There's over 500 caches withing 50 miles of Manitou Beach.

Yes, we have some active cachers in the area...note the multitudes of puzzles though!

Around Hamtramk MI....zoom in on Detroit and then check out how there's caches all aroud the area...but not in the center!! Not sure how to find amount of caches in the area, but on the map, there's one BIG hole with 0 hides!! I'd post a screenshot, but not sure how!!

Well, the great city of Gary, IN seems to have around 10 or so within its city limits. That's a city ~100,000!

If you've ever been to Gary.....you'll understand why.

Elizabeth, New Jersey, Pop. 180,000: 3 caches!! :huh:

Your numbers for 100,000+ metro area are going to be tough to beat, TC. I just spent way too much time surfing Geocaching.com Google maps in Quebec. The worst part is I don't even know what any these caches say, they're all in some kind of foreign language. :ph34r:

Oh no we might be in risk of losing our lead. Grand forks is up to 115. :rolleyes:;)

That's very possible. Honorable mention for a metro area of 100,000+ residents: Thunder Bay, Ontario Population 109,000. 123 caches within 50 miles.

What is really sad though. When we the Totem Clan crew arrived here 2 years ago there was only about 45 caches? We put out a lot of them and it took a couple of days before they got a FTF. That would have never of lasted in Alaska. They would have been found in the first hour usually.

Oh no we might be in risk of losing our lead. Grand forks is up to 115. ;):rolleyes:

That's very possible. Honorable mention for a metro area of 100,000+ residents: Thunder Bay, Ontario Population 109,000. 123 caches within 50 miles.

What is really sad though. When we the Totem Clan crew arrived here 2 years ago there was only about 45 caches? We put out a lot of them and it took a couple of days before they got a FTF. That would have never of lasted in Alaska. They would have been found in the first hour usually.

OMG. Sock Puppet. Just kidding. ;) Yeah, I was going to ask if it's that bad, how bad was it before you arrived? But you answered that.

I've given up on the 100,000+ metro area. I can't find anything, not even in Canada, where I was sure I would. I could be wrong, but Grand Forks has to be the champion. I was totally amazed though, clicking on remote towns in Canada, or The Great Plains, or the Southwest, and seeing how many caches some of these places had. The hobby certainly has grown very quickly.

I'll bet there are still some interesting things out there on the 20,000+ City search though.

Where abouts?

Yes, we have some active cachers in the area...note the multitudes of puzzles though!

Around Hamtramk MI....zoom in on Detroit and then check out how there's caches all aroud the area...but not in the center!! Not sure how to find amount of caches in the area, but on the map, there's one BIG hole with 0 hides!! I'd post a screenshot, but not sure how!!

From a topic on the Midwest board:

Hi,

i am from Germany and will be near Detroit for some weeks for a job, so i looked for interesting caches. Near Detroit i found an area without any caches. This is the result of my PQ:

detroit.png

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/gmnearest.a...;zm=11&mt=m

What happened around Highland Park and Hamtramck?

Klaus

Where abouts?

From a topic on the Midwest board:

Hi,

i am from Germany and will be near Detroit for some weeks for a job, so i looked for interesting caches. Near Detroit i found an area without any caches. This is the result of my PQ:

detroit.png

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/gmnearest.a...;zm=11&mt=m

What happened around Highland Park and Hamtramck?

Klaus

Whoa! Now that's a hole! Now I'm interested at checking out "holes" in other urban centers.

That thread was from the Midwest forum, but people posted screen shots of similiar cache holes in Harlem and The Bronx, Oakland, and Los Angeles.

You can go to that thread by clicking on the little left pointing arrow that appears after the text "QUOTE(team-noris @ Jan 12 2008, 09:46 AM)"

Whoa! Now that's a hole! Now I'm interested at checking out "holes" in other urban centers.

That thread was from the Midwest forum, but people posted screen shots of similiar cache holes in Harlem and The Bronx, Oakland, and Los Angeles.

You can go to that thread by clicking on the little left pointing arrow that appears after the text "QUOTE(team-noris @ Jan 12 2008, 09:46 AM)"

Check out East St Louis, IL

Check out East St Louis, IL

There certainly ain't no caches there, but not much of a defined hole, as there are very few to the South in rural areas.

I checked out some major U.S. Cities, but didn't see anything like Detroit. Certainly nothing worth posting a screen shot. There's a sizeable hole in my area. But what's really interesting about that screen shot was the number of unfound park-n-grab micros by myself (which you can't filter out of geocaching Google Maps). :laughing: