What issues would us geocachers like to see Garmin fix on the Colorado's

Here are a list of issues that I have seen so far having my Garmin Colorado 400t.

1. Wherigo crashed/shut down the unit running 2 different cartridges.

2. Light does not automatically turn on when plugging it to external power.

3. Unit hangs a lot turning on.

4. Street maps are not up to date with roads that have been around for years.

5. Street maps are off while driving.

6. When you mark a cache DNF I cant seem to find it so I can log a DNF.

7. When the unit is connected to a PC you cannot access the Shortcuts.

8. When marking a Waypoint then trying to go back in and looking at the location you cannot see the cords.

9. Cannot do an average while making a waypoint.

10. Recent finds does not update when you find or DNF a cache.

11. The mount doesn't stay on the windshield, it keeps falling off.

These are the First things that I can see that are issues for me. I do like the fact that you can have more then a 1000 caches though.

What software are you running?

#3 is a symptom of the time loss while powered off problem. I'm guessing once you see this hang the next time you power up your time will be off and/or it will take a long time to get satellite lock. Mine is having this problem and I'm seriously thinking about sending it back because it affects the alarm and the ability of the barometer to work when powered off.

GO$Rs

6. When you mark a cache DNF I cant seem to find it so I can log a DNF.

The upload field note function should allow you to log the DNF with just a few clicks Fieldnotes

Number one that I am missing now (that I am happily using 2.51) that has not been reported to be in the works:

Ability to add additional waypoints to a cache in the field and retaining the ability to view the main cache data and stay in caching mode while navigating to them (speak full support for multis)

1. When exiting the car to begin walking to the cache, the arrow freezes and remains like that until I've walked a pretty good distance. It is anoying to have to watch distance decrease, rather than the arrow, to determine if I am walking towards or away from the cache.

Do you have "lock on roads" turned off?

In addition to the stuff mentioned above, here are a bunch of annoyances:

1) Looking at a cache cancels the last goto. Stopping navigation should only happen when I pick Stop Navigation.

2) Need a recent finds for caches. When I'm doing a long distance multi it's a pain trying to find the cache to look up the description, log and hints.

3) When choosing a cache to find, each time I go back to the list it takes me to the top. This gets more annoying the further down the list I go.

4) Doing a goto on a waypoint takes you to the compass screen. I'd like it to go to the map screen like when you to a goto on a cache. Or at least make it configurable.

5) Logging a cache found or not found makes the hint disappear.

Edited by Avernar

1) Enable all 60 Series Funtions.

2) Add a couple more buttons.

3) Fix the color screen.

4) Fix the battery life.

5) Enable PDA funcationality intead of just a limited subset of GPX and Wherigo.

6) Open up the maps to allow for raster based arial, topo, and road maps. Allow alpha belending between them and routing on the City Select.

7) Give me ethis in a GPS V form factor.

1. When exiting the car to begin walking to the cache, the arrow freezes and remains like that until I've walked a pretty good distance. It is anoying to have to watch distance decrease, rather than the arrow, to determine if I am walking towards or away from the cache.

Do you have "lock on roads" turned off?

No, I never use it. I remember when the 60CS was new, it had the same problem. Garmin eventually addressed it. I used the 300 for about 7 hours on Saturday, and looked for over 40 caches. I'd say it displayed this issue more than 50% of the time--really irritating.

Ability to add additional waypoints to a cache in the field and retaining the ability to view the main cache data and stay in caching mode while navigating to them (speak full support for multis)

I agree, doing multis is what I like most and Garmins current "implementation" is pretty annoying!

In addition to the stuff mentioned above, here are a bunch of annoyances:

1) Looking at a cache cancels the last goto. Stopping navigation should only happen when I pick Stop Navigation.

4) Doing a goto on a waypoint takes you to the compass screen. I'd like it to go to the map screen like when you to a goto on a cache. Or at least make it configurable.

Have you tried 1) in version 2.51. I tried it the other day and thought it worked but I haven't double checked.

Going to a waypoint with a geocache symbol will take you to the compass page. All other waypoints with non-geocache symbols will take you to the map page.

Shouldn't all this simply go in the Garmin Colorado FAQ and Issues List ?

All the ones I've seen here are on the issues list already. I have thought about pulling out the top 20 just to make it easier to find them -- problem is everyone's top 20 is different.

GO$Rs

3) Fix the color screen.

4) Fix the battery life.

5) Enable PDA funcationality intead of just a limited subset of GPX and Wherigo.

6) Open up the maps to allow for raster based arial, topo, and road maps. Allow alpha belending between them and routing on the City Select.

How about finding the cache, signing the log, and logging the cache online for you as well? :ph34r:

Seriously, be a bit more realistic. I mean, : "2) Add a couple more buttons" ... you're talking about a entirely different/new model.

Edited by nicolo

...Seriously, be a bit more realistic. I mean, : "2) Add a couple more buttons" ... you're talking about a entirely different/new model.

One or two steps for most functions rather than scrolling through several menus is what I'm talking about. The extra buttons can help. Some things can be fixed using the existing interface. Like entering text. Garmins implementation sucked. Combine that wheel with Magellans Method and you would have a step forward from Garmin of old.

Realistic? Yes. Will Garmin do it? No idea. Will I buy a Colorado? No. I was dissapointed by the two steps back the unit takes for it's one step foward.

As for a new model. That might be nice. One that works, takes what some of the other companies are pioneering and put's it in a Garmin package...It could be nice.

3) Fix the color screen.

4) Fix the battery life.

YES, but after the 2.51b, i am sure Garmin will never do so with the current 300 and 400 Colorado series