New Traditional Cache Category and Find Log

USAF#1

Do we a need a new Traditional Cache Category and type of Find Log? What would you call them?

This cache, GC1APVW, is one that I have not seen done before.

First a group goes out and hides a new traditional cache with a container and log. Then they find the cache at the same time they hide it. Six of them log it as a find before the cache is published. The cacher who is the first one to post it as a find says he is logging it as a "Pre-hide Find". What is that, how can you log something as found before you hide it? Makes about as much sense as using the words government and intelligence together. This cacher is gracious enough not to claim FTF honors even though he found it before he hid it and logged it first. It is a find in his book, but not a FTF.

Then after the cache is published and 6 finds later one of the group of hiders posts a note encouraging cachers to claim FTF rights. Wouldn't that be special for someone!

It must be about the numbers on this one. I am wondering if I am the only one finding something wrong with this picture?

Do we a need a new Traditional Cache Category and type of Find Log? What would you call them?

This cache, GC1APVW, is one that I have not seen done before.

First a group goes out and hides a new traditional cache with a container and log. Then they find the cache at the same time they hide it. Six of them log it as a find before the cache is published. The cacher who is the first one to post it as a find says he is logging it as a "Pre-hide Find". What is that, how can you log something as found before you hide it? Makes about as much sense as using the words government and intelligence together. This cacher is gracious enough not to claim FTF honors even though he found it before he hid it and logged it first. It is a find in his book, but not a FTF.

Then after the cache is published and 6 finds later one of the group of hiders posts a note encouraging cachers to claim FTF rights. Wouldn't that be special for someone!

It must be about the numbers on this one. I am wondering if I am the only one finding something wrong with this picture?

The hiders are playing the game their way, and you are playing it yours. Don't sweat the small stuff, enjoy the search, and let others cheat on their numbers however they want.

Heck, if I wanted to get upset every time someone played the game different than I see fit, I would turn in my GPSr for a straight jacket. :laughing:

We call that beta-testing out here. If you are with the hider you can go a distance away and let him hide his new cache. After he hides it, he gives you the coords and then you go find the cache to test the coords. It is silly to come back some other day and find it when you are already there. However, we never log the beta-test logs until after the FTF logs.

We call that beta-testing out here. If you are with the hider you can go a distance away and let him hide his new cache. After he hides it, he gives you the coords and then you go find the cache to test the coords. It is silly to come back some other day and find it when you are already there. However, we never log the beta-test logs until after the FTF logs.

I have no problem with that kind. I was FTF on a Cache that was hidden by one player and the others that were with him found it before they left the island. It does not mean they saw where he placed it, ir even knew that it was being placed. They all waited until I had found it before they logged it. They even left a blank spot on the log above their names for me to log my FTF. This is a good way to test the hide and coordinates. I'd rather see that, than get the DNF for bad coords.

If I found it in your back seat before you hid it in the woods, then that's a PreHideFind!!
:laughing: You could also go to Wal-Mart and log all those lock n' locks before they get hidden! :laughing::D

That might really creep out the people who buy them to keep in their kitchen...

Don't mind me, ma'am. I'm just logging your containers. Yes, ma'am, it's a matter of national security. However, you have nothing to fear if they're logged.

Anyone have a copy of the 'spectrum of evil' picture for cache logging? I can't seem to find it...

Darth Vader on the left

Logging a cache you never found

Logging a cache which you think was missing and you replaced

Logging a cache you found with the hider there as he placed it (A 'beta find')

Logging a cache you found without help or the hider

Yoda - on the right

Edited by benh57
If I found it in your back seat before you hid it in the woods, then that's a PreHideFind!!
:huh: You could also go to Wal-Mart and log all those lock n' locks before they get hidden! :P:ph34r:

You can use them in the kitchen, too? Cool!

:laughing: You could also go to Wal-Mart and log all those lock n' locks before they get hidden! ;):rolleyes:

Now why would I put a geocache in the kitchen?

:rolleyes: You could also go to Wal-Mart and log all those lock n' locks before they get hidden! :lol:;)

Now why would I put a geocache in the kitchen?

To raise the difficulty level - muggles and locks on the access paths... :laughing:

What is that, how can you log something as found before you hide it?

They actually found it after it was hidden, but before it was published.

It's not something that I would do, because I don't log finds on caches that I was involved with hiding, but some people do. I think it's silly, but It doesn't hurt anyone. If that's how they want to play the game, that's their beeswax.

. I am wondering if I am the only one finding something wrong with this picture?

The only thing I see that is wrong with the picture is that I don't see how someone can get an FTF if the cache has already been found. The idea of a "note encouraging cachers to claim FTF rights" after it has already been found is indeed bizarre and wrong. But I mean wrong from a technical sense, not a moral one.

I will confess, I'm kind of gilty of this myself. :rolleyes: My local cache group hosted a CITO hike up thru the mtns. Just before we got to where we were going, Two of us fell back and placed a ammo can (GC176ME)about 30 ft up off the trail. On the return trip the cords. were given to anyone that wanted to find it. We were after all about 1 1/2 miles from the only way to get to the cache. So as a group everyone else hunted and found it. I did claim a "find" for 2 reasons, 1. I was the one who carried the stupid thing into the woods. ;) and 2. It was not where I saw it was hidden, the owner moved it on me. :laughing: No one logged it until it was listed and no one has found it since.