Vista HCx Speed Threshold?

I'm wondering if someone can help me with a Vista HCx issue. Today, while out hiking, I noticed problems with my trip data and speed. After hiking for about 30 minutes, my trip odometer had accumulated only 0.26 miles and moving time was reading as "05:16". Seemed questionable, so I held it in my hand and watched. It seemed to be having issues reading any speed. Much of my hike displayed "0.0 mph", despite the fact I had 8-9 satellites, with 3D lock and the little "D" showing for WAAS. The speed would often spike to 3-4 mph, then back to 0.0. All the while, I did notice the latitude and longitude numbers were changing, even with a speed reading of 0.0 mph.

I will point out that while there were trees around, I found an open field and noticed the same issue. My other GPS, the 60Cx, has never experienced this issue. The speed threshold is 0.2 mph and it does just fine with walking speeds, no matter what the conditions.

On the way home, I pulled into a parking lot and slowed to a crawl and watched the speed on the vista hcx again drop to 0.0 mph, despite having 2-3 mph show on the car speedometer. At speeds above 10 mph, it seemed fine. Does anyone know what's up with this? Because it's messing up all of the trip data for a hike. I tried numerous resets, re-calibrations of altimeter/compass, changing batteries, and the unit continues to display this behavior.

I have the latest software update (just confirmed) - and I'm really at a loss. My 60Cx is much better than this. Today's hike was a known distance of 6 miles, and the GPS shows a mere 2.5 miles with a moving time of just over an hour. If anyone can provide insight, I would be much appreciative!

Thanks, Paul

I thought the latest firmware fixed this issue, sort of . . . :laughing:

My Vista HCx still shows a stopped time longer than the time I have actually been stopped . . . but the distance is more correct than it was with the original firmware.

I don't know if Garmin is still working on correcting the Vista HCx's ability to recognize very slow speeds . . .

Thanks for your replies! I remember reading something similar to this when the unit first came out, but I too was under the impression that the problem was corrected with firmware update 2.40.

So, now I've got a unit that does trip data perfectly but no elevation profiling. Then, I've got elevation profiling but poor trip data. I guess if I want both, I will have to lug both units around :laughing:

If anyone else is experiencing this issue, I would encourage them to write to garmin soon, through their website, before they release the next firmware update without addressing the issue. I'm planning on contacing them later on. These units are supposed to be designed for this. I don't care that much about the speed, but it loses some of it's functionality in my opinion if it is not capable of producing accurate trip data for a hike.

The lowest speed threshold I can get mine to register is about 1.5 mph. And, that's if I'm patient.

Thanks for your replies! I remember reading something similar to this when the unit first came out, but I too was under the impression that the problem was corrected with firmware update 2.40.

What software are you actually running? It is currently at 2.60

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection....ct=010-00630-00

Not only that, but a lot of the problems were due to the GPS chipset firmware which needs updating too. You have to do this via Webupdater, there is no separately available downloadable executable for this update.

The current versions for both the unit firmware and the GPS chipset firmware are 2.60.

Yes, I see what you are saying. I am currently running 2.60/2.40. But, I am afraid to go to 2.60/2.60 as I am reading about major issues with that GPS software update in another forum.

I sent garmin a letter. I guess I'll have to use it like this until when, and if, they ever fix it.

Yes, I see what you are saying. I am currently running 2.60/2.40. But, I am afraid to go to 2.60/2.60 as I am reading about major issues with that GPS software update in another forum.

Hi Team R2,

could you please tell us what are the major issues that you know from another forum? Thank you.

regards

The way you replied makes me think you are from Garmin? That would be nice if they read these forums once in a while.

Some users have reported intermittent major accuracy problems with the upgrade to GPS software version 2.60. I don't remember the title of the forum, but if you do a search for "Vista HCx" and read through the topics, it should come up. I don't think it's everyone, but there were 35-40 posts within that topic regarding GPS software update 2.60 and the Vista HCx.

I'm just wondering if they fixed the speed threshold problem with the most recent 2.60/2.60 update. The speed threshold problem makes all trip data for a hike completely inaccurate. Track logs / elevation profiling are fine, but the trip distance is typically way short of actual, by like 50-75%.

Hi Team R2!

No, no, I'm not from Garmin. I'm just a guy with one Etrex Legend HCx. :rolleyes:

I think that the 2.60 GPS firware version makes the unit works better. I already read something about that intermittent accuracy problems. But it seems that these problems don't affects all the units (??).

We hope that Garmin improve the behavior of the Etrex H(Cx) series.

Regards

AA

Hi,

As has been reported elsewhere it would appear that the "odometer" issue has been more or less fixed with 2.60/2.60 firmware. It's still not perfect but a hell of a lot better than it was.

I went for a 10 mile walk this morning. To be exact 10.5 miles which with lunch took 4hours 9minutes. Both my GPSMAP 76CSx and Legend HCx track logs gave identical figures.

The 76CSx still gives more accurate figures on the "trip computer" page. The HCx shows mileage about 5% higher than it should be and an extra 6 minutes stop time.

Accuracy shown is not too good as I took the photograph in my office. Probably why the Legend is showing a lower altitude as it of course uses the GPS signal for this measurement.

10.JPG

Doing a search (imagine that :blink: ) I came across this thread and was wondering if the speed/odometer issue had been solved?

If I were to purchase a new Vista HCx today, would it come with 2.6/2.6 or not?

Also, would seem Amazon has the best price, ~$230. Any other vendor to consider?

Thanks

I'm wondering if someone can help me with a Vista HCx issue. Today, while out hiking, I noticed problems with my trip data and speed. After hiking for about 30 minutes, my trip odometer had accumulated only 0.26 miles and moving time was reading as "05:16". Seemed questionable, so I held it in my hand and watched. It seemed to be having issues reading any speed. Much of my hike displayed "0.0 mph", despite the fact I had 8-9 satellites, with 3D lock and the little "D" showing for WAAS. The speed would often spike to 3-4 mph, then back to 0.0. All the while, I did notice the latitude and longitude numbers were changing, even with a speed reading of 0.0 mph.

Software version 2.6/2.6 improves, if not completely eliminates this problem. The big discussion, though is that 2.6/2.6 may occasionally cause large positional errors that can be eliminated with a power cycle. Pay your money and take your choice. However, it is worth mentioning that the GPS firmware (the second 2.6) apparently cannot be downgraded back to an earlier version.

Software version 2.6/2.6 does NOT correct this problem. Well, OK, the odometer works better (sort of), but speed readings are still not reporting correctly under 4 mph and now accuracy has been comprimsed.

Based on a few observations, the unit sometimes needs to "catch up" at slow speeds. When you walk, then stop, it will still show you walking for some time after you stop. Also, I think it tends to also have a delayed response once you start walking, and the speed "jumps" to catch up.

Here's an experiment for everyone. Try turning the magnetic compass off. Walk forward slowly in one direction, with a clear view of the sky, and see if it is able to maintain a consistent heading on the compass page. I think it is possible to switch the magnetic compass off somewhere in setup.

Software version 2.6/2.6 does NOT correct this problem. Well, OK, the odometer works better (sort of), but speed readings are still not reporting correctly under 4 mph and now accuracy has been comprimsed.

Paul, thanks for the reply.

A few specific questions if I might.

When you refer to speed, are you talking instantaneous speed or average speed as reported on the odometer page?

I'm interested in the Vista HCx for two reasons:

1. Better reception, my Venture Cx will lose signal in deep canyons
  2. The altimeter log, a barometric altimeter is required for logging

The compass is a don't care now that I have 24K Topos inside the GPS. I use the odometer for trip info, not instantaneous speed.

Any thought vs. my requirements?

It's my belief that the root issue here is the chipset, a low cost automotive chip not well suited to low speed handheld use. A defect not correctable via firmware, hence given Garmin's clout, we'll soon see a better chip and I'm inclined to wait.

Thanks

Paul, thanks for the reply.

A few specific questions if I might.

When you refer to speed, are you talking instantaneous speed or average speed as reported on the odometer page?

I'm interested in the Vista HCx for two reasons:

1. Better reception, my Venture Cx will lose signal in deep canyons
  2. The altimeter log, a barometric altimeter is required for logging

The compass is a don't care now that I have 24K Topos inside the GPS. I use the odometer for trip info, not instantaneous speed.

Any thought vs. my requirements?

It's my belief that the root issue here is the chipset, a low cost automotive chip not well suited to low speed handheld use. A defect not correctable via firmware, hence given Garmin's clout, we'll soon see a better chip and I'm inclined to wait.

Thanks

MtnHermit-

I am referring to instantaneous speed. I just did some experiments with the unit today on a nice, wide open acre of land. The instantaneous speed threshold appears to be around 0.8, 0.9 mph and will bounce around until you reach around 4 mph. The reception is great, although I've never tried a deep canyon, but indoors, it does hold a signal, provided your not in a deep basement or under a metal roof.

The barometric altimeter works great. The only issue I've seen twice is that, for some reason, the unit gets a woefully wrong GPS elevation in it's mind, causing the barometric altimeter to autocalibrate incorrectly. A powercycle fixes this. Could've just been a bouncy signal. You can also easily manually calibrate. But, as far as operation, yes, the barometric altimeter seems to perform flawlessly.

In my experiment today, I found accuracy to be good, as I waypointed a spot and wanted to see if it could continually get me back to that spot and it did - the first three times. Trials 4 and 5 both had me about 20 feet to the north of Trials 1, 2, and 3. I should've power cycled and tried a few more times to see what would happen, but I was running out of daylight.

You may have a point about the chipset - we'll have to wait and see what, if any solution Garmin comes up with. One thing I did notice, while walking with it - it takes the speedometer a few seconds to register anything once you start walking, then will take a few more seconds to drop back to 0 once you stop, longer delays than I've ever seen on my 60Cx.

Good luck!

I am referring to instantaneous speed. I just did some experiments with the unit today on a nice, wide open acre of land. The instantaneous speed threshold appears to be around 0.8, 0.9 mph and will bounce around until you reach around 4 mph. The reception is great, although I've never tried a deep canyon, but indoors, it does hold a signal, provided your not in a deep basement or under a metal roof.

The barometric altimeter works great. The only issue I've seen twice is that, for some reason, the unit gets a woefully wrong GPS elevation in it's mind, causing the barometric altimeter to autocalibrate incorrectly. A powercycle fixes this. Could've just been a bouncy signal. You can also easily manually calibrate. But, as far as operation, yes, the barometric altimeter seems to perform flawlessly.

In my experiment today, I found accuracy to be good, as I waypointed a spot and wanted to see if it could continually get me back to that spot and it did - the first three times. Trials 4 and 5 both had me about 20 feet to the north of Trials 1, 2, and 3. I should've power cycled and tried a few more times to see what would happen, but I was running out of daylight.

You may have a point about the chipset - we'll have to wait and see what, if any solution Garmin comes up with. One thing I did notice, while walking with it - it takes the speedometer a few seconds to register anything once you start walking, then will take a few more seconds to drop back to 0 once you stop, longer delays than I've ever seen on my 60Cx.

Good luck!

Paul,

Thanks for going the extra mile, literally and figuratively, for me.

For me, the instantaneous speed is meaningless, I never walk and look at the unit at the same time. My GPS rides in a pouch on my pack's shoulder strap. If I become "lost" I'll extract it and consult the map. At infrequent points I'll look at the odometer. My average speed is always 2.3 mph, unless its flat 3 mph or very steep 1.9 mph.

It would appear from your answers that for me waiting isn't necessary.

Thanks

This could be accounted for by the "fact" that your 60 has 2 - ARM CPU's whereas the Vista only has one. One CPU of the 60 is devoted to the antenna, hence the superior reception and higher cost and shorter battery life.

The Vista OTOH has a one-year newer chip, one year is a long time in IC design. Witness the new Nuvi 2x5 family, due to ship this month. They have the ARM CPU and the GPS processor in a single chip from STM, lower cost, less power and faster in one stroke. It only needs an RF chip on a tiny MB to be a functional GPS.

In five years we'll have Win XP in boxes the size of the Vista, running on a pair of AA's. Sweet.

In five years we'll have Win XP in boxes the size of the Vista, running on a pair of AA's. Sweet.

Except, of course, that in five years, Windows XP will no longer be supported, you will need the latest and greatest Windows 2013 (or whatever it is called), and that will require a minimum of 8 GB RAM and a quad-core processor at 4 GHz in order to run - and I don't see that bit of kit lasting long on a pair of AAs! :o