GPS60csx vs old school eTrex

me and my friend went out caching last night. i took my new 60csx and he brought his old etrex.. i think it's a etrex camo.

anyways.

his was being way more accurate than mine. his is many years old so why is my newer one being so lame? i thought it was supposed to have a "high density receiver" or something?

me and my friend went out caching last night. i took my new 60csx and he brought his old etrex.. i think it's a etrex camo.

anyways.

his was being way more accurate than mine. his is many years old so why is my newer one being so lame? i thought it was supposed to have a "high density receiver" or something?

Perhaps your map datum is in correct?Check to make sure it's on WGS 84.Sometimes they do get screwy just because...the weather or whatever.My 60cs sometimes jumps around and such just because.Also may want to check your batteries.GPSr's sometimes act stupid when they get on low or old batteries.I should know,I have a Garmin II,V and a 60cs.

I had the same experience comparing my 60CSx with my Geko 201. The Geko was consistently within 4-5 feet of the cache while the 60CSx was within 15-17 feet.

Not sure what the deal is... I guess the cheaper ones just closer mimic the hiders GPS :laughing:

This picture was taken directly on top of the cache location, as you can see the Geko reads about 4 feet while the 60CSx reads almost 30 feet to go.

DSCF8396.JPG

Edited by XopherN71

What to you mean that his was more "accurate"? Are we talking 5-10 feet difference or 50-100 feet?

If it's 5-10 feet how do you know yours wasn't more accurate and the caches were at inaccurate coordinates?

here's what i meant... you know how there's a part of the menu where it says "Accuracy" ? his etrex was always far more accurate than mine.. mine mostly fluttered from 50-80 while his was pretty consistantly in the 20-30 range. occasionally we both had about 28 or so at the same time but his was usually much lower than mine.

What to you mean that his was more "accurate"? Are we talking 5-10 feet difference or 50-100 feet?

If it's 5-10 feet how do you know yours wasn't more accurate and the caches were at inaccurate coordinates?

here's what i meant... you know how there's a part of the menu where it says "Accuracy" ? his etrex was always far more accurate than mine.. mine mostly fluttered from 50-80 while his was pretty consistantly in the 20-30 range. occasionally we both had about 28 or so at the same time but his was usually much lower than mine.

Consult your owner's manual on the map datum.It should be in there.

What you just described however sounds like low batteries or just one of those days where they're just off.

Any units claimed accuracy isn't something you should go by, especially since the 60CSx has known to been a conservative estimate.

My VistaCx quite often has a claimed accuracy of 10ft, at the same time my 60Cx is only showing 20-30ft accuracy. Even with the VistaCx claimed accuracy of 10ft quite often its not giving as accurate of coordinates as the 60 with a much higher EPE. This can easily be tested at a Benchmark with good coordinates.

I would also make sure your are running the latest unit software and chipset software.

How would you explain the picture I posted?

Both are running on new batteries.

I can't even read the screen on the 60 series in that photo on my computer(to dark) but going by what your saying they read there are a few things to consider.

1. Both gps are not in their optimal signal position. Meaning the 60series with its quad helix antenna needs to be held vertical(upright) for the best signal. on the other hand the geko has a patch antenna and needs to be held horizontal(screen toward the sky).

2. The hiders gps could have been off when taking the coordinates, or their could have been leaves on the trees at that time giving worse signal.

3. If you compare different units you'll see they don't update their coordinates at the same rate, especially in poor signal environments. With my legendC, VistaCx, meridian gold I can turn them on in my apartment and get signal, but it takes them 5 minutes to figure out when they are off accuracy wise(I know my desks coordinates after years of averaging). On the flip side it only takes the 60csx a couple minutes at most to update, usually under a minute to get accurate coordinates.

Here's an example: I've seen my 60Cx read 35ft to a cache when I'm standing on it, and my vistaCx 15ft. If I watch the coordinates as I stand there, within a minute my 60 now shows 3ft and the VistaCx shows 12ft. As you can see they are both always adjusting the coordinates, but the 60 series updates much faster.

Best advice I can give anyone is slow down the last 100ft distance to a cache, this allows the gps to catchup and for you to survey any possible hiding spots. You would be surprised how accurate your gps is when you do this.

Edited by hogrod

Well, they were both sitting there the whole time I was logging the cache.

As far as what you say about the antenna and the 60CSx, I guess I don't buy that logic because in order for the compass to work you must hold it horizontal, doesn't make sense that it would 'require' you to hold it vertical in order to use it in that case.

And as far as the hiders coordinates being off... this could be the case, but 4 out of 4 times in this location the Gecko got me closer to the cache than the 60CSx did, at least on this day at this location (all different hiders by the way).

Funny thing is, I got the Geko that morning and really only brought it with to see if it would get a decent signal in the woods. Ended up putting the 60CSx on the side of my backpack and used the Geko the whole time.

I'm definitely not saying the 60CSx is a bad device, it's a workhorse no doubt and has a long track record to prove it... I'm just going along with what the original poster is saying and providing some backup that it's not a rare occurrence and perhaps there is some work left to be done.

Edited by XopherN71

As far as what you say about the antenna and the 60CSx, I guess I don't buy that logic because in order for the compass to work you must hold it horizontal, doesn't make sense that it would 'require' you to hold it vertical in order to use it in that case.

Actually you are correct. There is no logic but that's the way it works. You must hold the GPS vertical to get the best signal then drop it horizontal to use the eletronic compass then back up to get the best signal. That's exactly why I almost always have my eletronic compasses turned off. When will Garmin give us the 3-axis eletronic compass?

Accuracy numbers in this range are often an indication that you have the unit in battery save mode. It may not be your problem, but is something to check on.

battery save mode has that big of an effect? ya know what. that might be it. casue somet time during the night when t said i had low batteries, i had set it to that. i'll try it again with it off and also with it pointed upwards and see if those 2 things combines makes it work better.

thanks guys.

I would also make sure your are running the latest unit software and chipset software.

there's the funny thing. his firmware hasn't been update in years and i've updated recently... unless the chipset is different than the firmware..

yes, the 60CSx has unit software(firmware) and chipset software. you can check what versions you are running here: Main menu, setup, system, press menu and select software version. As of today the most current are Software version 3.60 and GPS software version 3.00

The easiest way to update both is use garmins webupdater and after it updates the unit software, let it check for additional updates to get the newest chipset update.

Accuracy numbers in this range are often an indication that you have the unit in battery save mode. It may not be your problem, but is something to check on.

battery save mode has that big of an effect? ya know what. that might be it. casue somet time during the night when t said i had low batteries, i had set it to that. i'll try it again with it off and also with it pointed upwards and see if those 2 things combines makes it work better.

thanks guys.

There should be a warning when you enable battery saver that it effects accuracy. battery saver does work but at a huge performance hit.

There should be a warning when you enable battery saver that it effects accuracy. battery saver does work but at a huge performance hit.

That's a good point. This question comes up so frequently on the boards it's clear that a lot of people aren't aware of it. And no wonder, since Garmin doesn't see fit to even mention it in the manual! I thought they did, but can't find any mention of it now.

That's a good point. This question comes up so frequently on the boards it's clear that a lot of people aren't aware of it. And no wonder, since Garmin doesn't see fit to even mention it in the manual! I thought they did, but can't find any mention of it now.

just last night i was in the city with nearly-full batteries and took it off power saver and it went right down to an accuracy of 13 or 14. mostly 14 (which makes sense seeing it's the minimum). so i guess battery saver is pretty much "suckage mode" lol

on a side-note, i installed city navigator on it (because i can lol) so now i got 2 driving gpss lol