St Helens fall

EraSeek

I breifly heard on the radio someone fell into the crater at St Helens, 200' or so, and survived due to the snow pack and wearing a helmet.

I knew someone would do that eventually with that cornice up there and the many times I've seen people pushing the limits to get a view.

Edited by EraSeek

He was snowmobiling and fell from the west rim when he walked onto a snow cornice. From the Seattle PI (via AP):

A snowmobiler from Oregon suffered an injured leg but survived a fall of up to 200 feet into the crater of Mount St. Helens on Saturday.

Skamania County Undersheriff Dave Cox says 52-year-old John Slemp, from Damascus, Ore., was on one of three snowmobiles that climbed to the west crater rim.

Cox says Slemp got off his snowmobile and walked out onto a cornice overhanging the crater when it gave way.

He reportedly fell 100 to 200 feet before landing on the inside slope of the crater. He then slid on his hands and knees to the bottom of the crater.

He was wearing his snowmobile helmet, and Cox said there is a heavy snowpack in the area, so snow may have broken his fall.

Officials were notified at 5:20 p.m., and a private helicopter flew two paramedics to the crater and located Slemp about 7 p.m.

He had an injured leg, but was able with assistance to get to the helicopter and be flown out to Yacolt.

His exact condition and whether he required transport to a hospital weren't immediately known.

Cox says the U.S. Forest Service will investigate the incident.

And more: First Known Person to Fall into St Helens Crater.

He fell 1300-1500 feet, and lived to tell the tale, with his only serious injuries being torn ligaments.

There will be other injuries.... I can practically guarantee it. Most will be to his wallet.

Snomobiling out of bounds

Climbing without a permit

Cost of the Rescue Helecopter

Not entirely sure about that. The article says "Rescue officials.... said it's legal to ride in that area, but not recommended for anyone other than an expert." The helicopter, you may be right about.

And more: First Known Person to Fall into St Helens Crater.

He fell 1300-1500 feet, and lived to tell the tale, with his only serious injuries being torn ligaments.

There will be other injuries.... I can practically guarantee it. Most will be to his wallet.

Snomobiling out of bounds

Climbing without a permit

Cost of the Rescue Helecopter

Not entirely sure about that. The article says "Rescue officials.... said it's legal to ride in that area, but not recommended for anyone other than an expert." The helicopter, you may be right about.

He's outside the climbing permit season. And depending on who's helicopter was used, it might be free. King County has their own copter, Kittitas doesn't. If you fall off the PCT at Snoqualime Pass, make sure you land in King County - it's a free ride, but in Kittitas they charge. If it was milatary bird, it's also free (charged to their training buget).