City Navigator on micro SD

newmajo

Can I copy a preloaded Garmin City Navigator MicroSD card to my computer for back up purposes only?

I got the preloaded card for ease of use and then realized I have no backup if something happens to the card.

You can copy it, but since you can't put it on another card it is a worthless as a backup.

You are correct that it cannot be put on another card. It is locked to that SD Cards serial number.

It is not worthless as a backup. One could accidently delete the file on the card, and replace it with the backup copy.

[

You are correct that it cannot be put on another card. It is locked to that SD Cards serial number.

Amazing...whatever it takes to make a buck I guess...Any such restrictions on the CN dvd?

The DVD requires an unlock code and will then only work with one GPSr. At least with the SD card, you can move it to another GPS if you upgrade later.

Can I copy a preloaded Garmin City Navigator MicroSD card to my computer for back up purposes only?

I got the preloaded card for ease of use and then realized I have no backup if something happens to the card.

You can copy it, but since you can't put it on another card it is a worthless as a backup.

It is not worthless as a backup. One could accidently delete the file on the card, and replace it with the backup copy.

I bought a Streetpilot 2610 and loaded parts of City Nav on a 1 GB card. Does that mean I cant buy a 2 GB card and load all the maps onto it? I thought they said it is good for one unit but I didnt think it meant one memory card, now I'm starting to wonder if I messed up.

[

Amazing...whatever it takes to make a buck I guess...Any such restrictions on the CN dvd?

The DVD requires an unlock code and will then only work with one GPSr. At least with the SD card, you can move it to another GPS if you upgrade later.

That actually sounds like a better option than the DVD.

You would think that there would be a way to take the City Navigator on DVD and use the unlock code to register it to the serial number of the SD card instead of the GPSr; you know make it function just just like Garmin does when they sell it already on the SD card. This way you would have you maps registered to one device (the SD card instead of the GPSr) and you would have the maps for your computer. Correct me if I am wrong, but if you could do this wouldn't you still be within the EULA?

Edited by Idahogreggory

Preloaded SD Card

+ Can be used in multiple GPS

- Do not work on PC, you can not plan trips

- Can not take backup

- If you loose or destroy the card, you are lost.

DVD

+ Can be installed in as many PC you like.

+ You can plan Trips, POI, Tacks +++ in MapSource

+ Backup, no problem.

- Only works on one GPS