City nav and Topo on a 60csx?

I am still very new to this, I have searched everywhere in the Garmin FAQ , but MY problem is, I load the City Nav 2008 on my unit and it works fine, then I load the topo maps 2008 on, and I loose some if not all of the City Nav data like address search. so I reformatted an started over, loading topo first, then City Nav, then the topo data is not available. But I still have no luck. I found map set up , the FAQ says you can select map, but the Topo does not even show up on the list. What am I doing wrong?

It seems like what ever map I load, overwrite the first download.

Thank you for the help, as I want to use the unit Geo caching and city navigation when I travel.

I am still very new to this, I have searched everywhere in the Garmin FAQ , but MY problem is, I load the City Nav 2008 on my unit and it works fine, then I load the topo maps 2008 on, and I loose some if not all of the City Nav data like address search. so I reformatted an started over, loading topo first, then City Nav, then the topo data is not available. But I still have no luck. I found map set up , the FAQ says you can select map, but the Topo does not even show up on the list. What am I doing wrong?

It seems like what ever map I load, overwrite the first download.

Thank you for the help, as I want to use the unit Geo caching and city navigation when I travel.

Yes you hit the nail right on the head Bang

It does overight the existing map

tip 1 it is quicker to put your micro SD in a card reader to transfer map

if you look in the garmin folder on the SD card you see a file called gmapsupp.img that is the map image of all the selection you chose

if you now add another section from a NEW mapsource file it OVERIGHTS the file on the card

there are two ways to overcome your problem

1st connect to mapsource and TRANSFER FROM 60csx just tick maps will do

then in the mapsource window left pane you see maps selecetd with a total number eg 250 map sections

now change your mapsource map and select the new sections to transfer you map window pane will now increase say to 400 and the list shows all sections selected now TRANSFER ALL this back to CSX

or plan 2 open mapsource select the map eg toppo highlight your selections total will appear again NOW change the map drop down to navigator

and select some more again the total will increase again transfer back to CSX

the gmapsupp file always gets over written

BUT the POI AND WAY POINTS get added to so you can just add a single waypoit no problem

BUT you must load ALL your map selections in one go

Also I forgot you can have both maps on but if they over lap you only see one

eg If you had Toppo UK and Nav Euro the UK section is over layed with toppo

go to the map on your csx press these keys /menu/ setup map/ enter/ menu/ then hide one of the maps you do not need

eg I hide toppo while using navi map driving to get to the start of my caching the hide navi and show toppo for the actual cache

Both maps can be on but only one shows

When you get more experianced there is a thread here some where i think that explains how to make the navi map transparent so the toppo map shows through but it involve 2 other programs

and map edititing I personaly did not bother and just turn off the not req one

Edited by IvorBigun

I was looking for a different topic, but am glad I saw this. I can't believe how retarded the Garmin people are. You should NOT erase one kind of map if you install an entirely different type of map. In fact, you shouldn't erase ANY map, no mater what kind, when you add something.

And their manuals are sooooo helpful when it comes to things like this!

-Pacific

As the original reply indicates, you need to send all the map segments you want, from whatever mapping products you have, in 1 shot. It's always been that way. No real big deal once you know. I remember when the GPS units were serial and it would take almost an hour to send the maps and that was for a small MB size memory. Now, with USB, it's only a few mins.

Easiest thing is to get a SD card that is large enough to handle all of your mapping segments for City Nav and Topo and you'll never have to worry about it again.

When you upload waypoints, routes or tracks, it doesn't impact the maps nor the other items unless they are named the same.

With a large card you can load many many maps. I have from the eastern border of the dakotas down past colorado all the way to the west coast in topo, the whole shebang citynav v8 a custom 24k topo of all of montana and all of colorado. Montana has landowner info too. also a custom overlay of montana game management hunting units. National parks central and west. and costal data west. Just highlight all and send at one time.

24k topos for garmin some states are available here

http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_main.html :lol:

I remember when the GPS units were serial and it would take almost an hour to send the maps and that was for a small MB size memory. Now, with USB, it's only a few mins.

And I remember when GPS units had one channel and multiplexed, like my old NAV 1000 (sitting in a box somewhere in my garage. I even got to play with the pre-production NAV 1000! THAT was fun.) You no doubt do, as well.

But just because something has always been that way doesn't mean it makes sense or is good design. Erasing existing maps, particularly those that are of a completely different type is absurd and very poor design. And sitting around uploading an entire new set of maps when all one wanted was to add one thing is a waste of time, even at USB speeds.

But it is what it is, and we get what they give us.

-Pacific