The positive things of caching

The positive things I've found about geocaching.

1. Time outdoors

2. Finding places I never knew exsisted.

3. Meeting some awesome people.

4. a hobby I share with my wife.

5. The chance to use creativity when hiding a cache.

What are the positive aspects that caching has brought to your life?

No negative please. This thread is about positive. If you want to post negative there are plenty of active threads for your posts.

El Diablo

Right on!

I'm sure mine will duplicate some of yours but oh well...

To me, geocaching is nothing BUT positive!

1. Gets me out with our 5 year old daughter doing something together outside.

2. Great exercise!

3. Once the hardware is purchased it's a relatively inexpensive hobby.

4. Learning some history of the area.

Sorry, but I do have one negative... my shoes are always muddy and my pants always full of thorns when I get to work now because I have to get 'that one cache' on my way in :mad:

All of the above, except #4; I don't have a wife. :mad: Add into that, losing at least 50 pounds since I started caching, being able to impress people who have lived in the area far longer with my knowledge of the cool, off the beaten track places, and being able to spend more time outdoors with my family. I've cached, at one time or other, with my father, my brother, two sisters, a niece and a nephew. Been very cool! :P

Plus, it gives me an excuse to take off on impromptu camping trips all over the state. Who could ask for more? :D

Right on!

I'm sure mine will duplicate some of yours but oh well...

To me, geocaching is nothing BUT positive!

1. Gets me out with our 5 year old daughter doing something together outside.

2. Great exercise!

3. Once the hardware is purchased it's a relatively inexpensive hobby.

4. Learning some history of the area.

Sorry, but I do have one negative... my shoes are always muddy and my pants always full of thorns when I get to work now because I have to get 'that one cache' on my way in :mad:

:P

That's like the muscle ache after a good hike.

It's a good pain. :D

Falling into a deep creek *splash* *gasp* while out caching.

Watching a fellow geocacher try to run across a muddy patch and finish the run in his sock feet. Boots stayed behind!

Opening the door to Bag End when finding "The Hobbit Hole" cache.

Trying to unlock a padlock in a dark tunnel/culvert while holding a flashlight.

My friend getting hit by a bird who was in that same tunnel/culvert. :mad:

Long days of caching followed by Mongolian BBQ in Lincoln, NE

Conquering Frenchman's Mountain outside Las Vegas

Guess what I'm trying to say is that another reason I cache is for the memories! :P

1. Time outdoors

2. Finding places I never knew exsisted.

I agree with all of these except #4 because I am not married.

1. Only exercise I get

2. I love local history, especially forgotten places. Geocaching brings you to them.

3. I enjoy a good puzzle sometimes. Geocaching offers any number of unique puzzle challenges.

4. Need something to break up the monotany of a long road trip? Geocaching has that covered too.

5. From hardcore hikes to mountaintops to wheelchair accessible caches in parks, and everything in between, geocaching really has something for everybody.

6. Come on, we're using billion dollar satellites to find tupperware in the woods! What's not to like?

:D

(scary monster picture snipped for space)

Ack! What was that scary thing on the right!!! Yikes! :P:P

Here is what I love about caching. A picture is worth a thousand words (OK, most of them are. :mad: )

f0351e3f-285a-4697-a7df-2c5da6a9b0b0.jpg

A cache we did yesterday late in the day, Anna Ruby Falls in GA.

Everything above, plus being able to introduce friends to the hobby and watch their amazed expressions when they find out there are these secret caches all around them that they never had any idea existed.

"What? that's just behind my house!"

LoL - This is great fun. We did this just last night with some friends. But the first expression is usually one of them looking at me like I'm insane...."You do what?. :D So it's just for kids, right?" :mad:

So other than what has already been stated - all of which I agree with - I'd have to say collecting geocoins has become a passion of mine. Some I release and watch travel. Some I'm keeping for my collection. I just love them. My husband would probably say this isn't a positive thing due to the cost involved. But as much as I love finding caches, finding a cache with a geocoin in it is even better. :P

I think the best part of caching is when I go out and do it, I don't think about the "real world," such as my job or anything else going on. I just go out and enjoy myself and forget about everything around me. It's nice to spend time with friends and family chasing these things around. :mad:

It can be a wonderful thing to do - that is probably going to be different than the last time I did it but I won't know that until I get out there. I really don't know what is ahead - I just go find out and if I am selective enough to choose a good one, I am going to remember it and will probably come back there again. I love going and doing something different and new!

This game/sport can be done on short notice. I really like that alot!

My wife gave me my GPSr for Christmas last year while I was recovering from having lost a kidney and part of my bladder to cancer, this is why I love geocaching:

1. Finaly something my 13 year old daughter ENJOYS doing with her dad.

2. The exercise I have been needing, especialy after giving up a 30 year smoking habit.

3. Fun times spent with the whole family.

4. Another excuse not to finish that honey-do list.

And many other reasons to numerous to list.

1. Time outdoors

2. Finding places I never knew existed.

What are the positive aspects that caching has brought to your life?

No negative please. This thread is about positive. If you want to post negative there are plenty of active threads for your posts.

El Diablo

1, 2 and 3 for me. I've been working on trying to make #4 happen for over 5 years. :mad: