ISQ Finds

JPlus14

An anonymous individual, hiding behind a sock puppet, has taken it upon himself to help us out with identifying those ISQ's that are in dire need of maintenance. We thank him for his efforts in helping us to keep the series alive!

If anyone can help on the maintenance of #170 GCNFR7 or #13 GCJ21A, it would be greatly appreciated...

We'll get them back up & going this weekend Rick. No worries at all.

Kelly & Barbie

(Are_we_there_yet?)

RWALKER HAS ALREADY REPLACED #170... I WILL POST THIS TYPE OF INFO HERE AS SOON AS I GET IT TO PREVENT PEOPLE FROM GOING OUT NEEDLESSLY--IF YOU DO, HOWEVER, CLAIM A SMILEY!

Here's some updated data about selected cache series. If you have any additions, corrections, etc., Please Post Here, numbers updated Jan. 2010.

Indiana Spirit Quest, Allied with ISQ,.............2-25-04, 684 caches, SixDogTeam and 34+ hiders.

Ohio Spirit Quest, Allied with ISQ,.......... ......5-9-05, 49 caches, *The Shadow*/Moop Along and 6+ hiders

Michigan Spirit Quest, Allied with ISQ,...........11-14-05, 47 caches, Wolverine Warriors and 7+ hiders.

Minnesota Spirit Quest, Allied with ISQ,..... ...5-26-08, 1 cache, King Boreas

Ontario Spirit Quest, Allied with ISQ,.............4-12-05, 1 cache, Team Tigger International

Wisconsin Spirit Quest, Allied with ISQ,.........10-1-08, 54 caches, Sweet Life

Georgia Spirit Quest, Allied with ISQ,............10-12-08, 21 caches, LZ33 and 1+ hiders

North Dakota Spirit Quest, Allied with ISQ,... 5-17-08, 4 caches, Totem Clan

Kentucky Spirit Quest, Allied with ISQ,...........11-16-08, 8 caches, Cav Scout

Florida Spirit Quest, Allied with ISQ................05-07-09, 5 caches, Trader Rick and Rosie

New Jersey -- A Spirit Quest Cache, allied with ISQ................2008, 8 caches,Gipsie and 5+ hiders

PC Spirit Quest [indiana] Acknowledges ISQ,...5-1-05, 8 caches, Team Bobby Mac

Colorado Spirit Quest, Acknowledges ISQ,.......6-3-08, 288 caches, Ivy Dog Parents and 26+ hiders

Louisiana Spirit Quest, Acknowledges ISQ........1-31-09, 2 caches, Zsandman +1

~KSY [Kentucky], Copycat series ...................5-5-06, 143 caches

Illinois Spirit Quest, Acknowledges ISQ...........2007 Cav Scout and others

BC Spirit Quest, Independent,........................ ......4-11-07, 30 caches, Legacy Pac

Maine Spirit Quest, Independent, ................... .......5-7-06, 36 caches, Northwoods Explorer

New Hampshire Spirit Quest, Independent...............9-21-08, 1 cache, King.Hubi

Texas Spirit Quest Independent,............................11-11-08, 27 caches, Condor 1 and 2+ hiders

Whatcom Spirit Quest [Washington], Independent,...10-15-05, 25 caches, Half Canadian and Scooter

Illinois Spirit Quest, Independent,..........................2-4-09, 76 caches, Joranda and 3+ hiders

AB. Spirit Quest, Independent...............................4-19-09, 6 Caches, Donnord

Spirit Quest Maryland............................................11-01-07 5 cachesMother Wolf

Yellowhead Spirit Quest Alberta..............................4 cacdhes Rat Root

"SQ" cache series:

Michigan -- ...64 Caches

Ohio --..........80 caches

Texas --........ 2 caches

Indiana --...... 1 cache

WSQ [Wisconsin] --14 caches??

Ontario --..... 2 caches

Sent: Friday, September 10, 2010 8:17 AM

Subject: tombstone trail - Indiana

> ________________________________________________________________________

> 1. tombstone trail - Indiana

> Posted by: "jimandgina3" jimandgina3@juno.com jimandgina3

> Date: Thu Sep 9, 2010 12:09 pm ((PDT))

>

> Nation's First Tombstone Trail Prepares for Launch in Northeast Indiana

>

> Contact: John Bry, Noble County Visitors Bureau

> 1-877-202-5761

> 1-260-570-8421 cell

> Website: www.tombstonetrail.com

> john@visitnoblecounty.com

>

>

> The nation's first historic cemetery tour that covers a state is coming to

> northeast Indiana. The Tombstone Trail will have its inaugural launch

> encompassing DeKalb and Noble Counties in October to celebrate National

> Family History Month. Over 50 miles will be covered along the trail that

> will utilize historic Route 6 (The Grand Army of the Republic Highway) as

> the connector for the two counties, and as the trail makes its way towards

> Chicago in the future.

>

> Six cemeteries, plus the gravesite of Indiana author Gene Stratton-Porter

> will be included on the trail this year. Cemetery visitors will be able to

> choose from guided tours and self guided tours throughout the month.

> There they will learn about the lives of the famous and not so famous of

> the Hoosier State. "The tour offers something for everyone, and is

> designed to show that cemeteries are not to be feared, but rather

> interesting historic and cultural pieces of American History," said John

> Bry, Executive Director of the Noble County Visitors Bureau. Bry also

> stressed the cemetery tours are not designed to be scary in any way, but

> rather a fun and enlightened look at the cemeteries and their permanent

> residents.

>

> Actress Anne Heche's grandparents rest in Albion's Rose Hill Cemetery

> complete with a monument crafted from the family's residence. The true

> last Daughter of an American Revolutionary Soldier in Indiana rests in Oak

> Park Cemetery in Ligonier along with the "Little Boy Lost", and competing

> Jewish families who rivaled one another in their time in prosperity and

> business. Robert Urey a Noble Prize winner for Chemistry is buried in

> Fairfield Center, and architect A.M. Straus is buried in his native

> Kendallville. Some of his famed Art Deco designed buildings are some of

> the most regionally recognized landmarks including the Lincoln Tower in

> Fort Wayne, and the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Administration Building that is

> a national landmark.

>

> Cemetery locations to be featured include Butler City Cemetery, Waterloo

> City Cemetery, Fairfield Center Cemetery north of Corunna, Lakeview

> Cemetery in Kendallville, Rose Hill Cemetery in Albion, and Oak Park

> Cemetery in Ligonier. Sixty-one stories of interesting monuments and

> individuals will also be highlighted in total. Visitors may take

> self-guided, or guided tours. Proceeds raised from the Trail will in part

> go to historic cemetery conservation in DeKalb and Noble Counties. A host

> of other activities will be taking place during the month such as the

> Apple Festival, Pumpkin Fantasyland, and of course, Owl-o-ween throughout

> Noble County. Foil impression art workshops of historic monuments will

> also take place, along with other speakers on historic cemetery topics

> throughout the month. More information on tours, and about the Tombstone

> Trail may be received from the Noble County by calling 1-877-202-5761 or

> by visiting www.tombstonetrail.com

>

>

GOING TO HAVE TO DO A N ADDITIONAL ROUND OF EDITING ON SOME CACHE PAGES:

RECIEVED THIS EMAIL:

O] From Reviewer Hilts: ISQ Cache Issues‏

7:09 PM

Reply ▼

Geocaching Add to contacts

To postman357@hotmail.com

Note: The following is an example of the type of text that is not allowed on a cache page:

“God Bless our troops in harm's way.” “God Bless America!” “God Bless our troops and veterans.” “Support our troops” “Democracy is on the rise on the planet. Either stand with us, or stand out of our way!!” “Pray for our brave troops, the thankless heroes in harm's way fighting against the Global Terrorists” “God Bless our Troops fighting overseas to free the world from the Terror of the Infidels. Have you tied a yellow ribbon around your old oak tree?” “God Bless our Troops fighting overseas to free the world from the Terrorism of the Mindless Cretins of Darkness.” “God Bless our Troops fighting overseas to free the world from Tyranny.” “God Bless our troops in harm's way, protecting the world from Satan's Savage Barbarians” “IF WE HAVE REASON TO BELIEVE A CACHER WAS IN ONE OF OUR CEMETERIES AFTER DARK, ALL THEIR ISQ FIND LOGS WILL BE DELETED” “ALL YOUR ISQ FOUND LOGS WILL BE DELETED. THIS IS NO DRILL” “For those of you out there, as young men, who've held a Rifle on Christmas Eve, in a foreign land, and asked yourself "Why am I here?", I'm sure you know now, and thank you for your service to our country, and say a little prayer for our comrades in arms so far away from home this Holiday Season” “For those of you out there, who've held a Rifle on Christmas Eve, in a foreign land, thanks for your service to our country, and say a little prayer for our comrades in arms so far away from home this Holiday Season.” “And if you meet a returning Vet from the middle east, shake his hand and thank him for his service to our country and the world” “If you see a soldier with his pants legs pushed into the top of his boots, thank him for his service to our country” “Lex et Libertas—Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis! Please pray for our Patriot Armed Forces standing in harm’s way around the world, and for their families, especially those of our fallen Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines and Coast Guardsmen, who have died in defense of American liberty while prosecuting the war with Jihadistan” “Say a prayer for our brave troops, fighting for The Right overseas” “Say a prayer for our brave troops, fighting XXX overseas” “XXX Bless America!” “Say a X for our XX fighting for Global Security and XX overseas” “We are at war” “Thank a returning serviceman for his service” “The Wal-Mart voters won.” “If you want to replace worn American Flags, you can get them at Wal*Mart for a buck and a quarter apiece” “Thank a returning serviceman for his service, most have never heard this before” “We just finished listening to Jane French's new CD--Acoustic music and her hauntingly beautiful voice--if you like love songs, this is a must buy! Her voice is fantastic ear candy” “Say a prayer for our brave troops, fighting for The Oppressed overseas” “We support our troops “ “Thanks to all the brave men and women that have fought for our freedoms!” “Pause for a moment and reflect on the Ultimate sacrifice of those veterans (Our neighbors) who were taken home from us so young, before their time, protecting our freedoms and way of life.”

All logos “Support Our Troops” (yellow ribbons, flag graphics, red hearts with dog tags) on the cache page and in the background images.

All links to various military Geocaching organizations, Christian Motorcyclist Assoc.

All ALRs (Additional Logging Requirements) e.g. Take a picture of a grave, transcribe a grave, proceed to a certain set of coordinates and post a picture. (Note: ALRs were disallowed on April 4th, 2009 and were not grandfathered in.)

Hilts

User's Profile:

http://coord.info/PR1JNVB

All of that is old news. We were asked to remove all of those "agenda" items a long time ago. As for the link to MAGC that was settled as well as long as the logos were changed to generic ones. I "sanitized" my cache pages a couple years ago when this issue was brought up on the forums. I don't think we really need to bring this whole issue up again. If you need a reminder just run a search on "agenda caches".

To All Geocachers: About 97 (so far) of my ISQ's are disabled as of this morning. I will try to remove all the objectionable text as soon as possible starting this morning, but it will take a while.

I apologize to all cachers who were offended by my remarks on the cache pages. I now see more clearly that GC is an international deal and why "Support our Troops" and "God Bless America"would be an anathma to some players. I do hope that the history write ups and biographical data on the cache pages that deal with war heroes buried in the cemeteries are not banned in the future as well.

For the record, I have always complied to the best of my ability with the textual issues and links that they have required me to delete in the past.

Anyway, no matter what happens, I think ISQ has had a good run for almost ten years and thanks to all who have supported us in this effort. I think, on balance it was a good thing, and we did spread to many states, and I think a lot of people had some fun, got out of the house, and maybe learned something of their local heritage. It was never our intent to promote any "agenda". --Rick

I saddens me to learn that two ISQ hiders are pre-emtively archiving their Indiana Spirit Quest geocaches rather than remove the yellow ribbon Support Our Troops logos or whatever other offensive agenda text they may have from their cache pages.

I know individuals have to stand up for what they believe is right, even when it hurts and I support them 100% in their decision.

I have chosen another path, in hope that this will be the last assault on honoring veterans and pioneers on cache pages.

I think that ISQ hiders as a group have made a unique and wonderful contribution to the sport with our little niche.

But all things must come to an end I suppose. I will never forget all the wonderful, bloody, sweaty times I had bushwacking with my little dog up and down the ravines of the Reservoirs hiding and seeking caches. That too, came to an end.So many little waterfalls!!!

Soon all we'll have is nanos under lamp skirts with no cache page descriptions other than "Park and Grab".

So it goes.

Six Dog Team

First of all, you need to change your caching name. "Dog" spelled backward is _ _ _ !

In addition to the Nano LPC's your mentioned don't forget all the roadside crap caches that are published by GC.com. Most RSC's are placed at uninteresting locations, without a safe pull off area, without any thought given to the location, the container or the safety of the cachers or even a valid reason to stop. They are placed on county road right of ways, without permission from the adjacent landowners and with little more to offer the cacher than a smilie :). For the most part these are not P&G's they are "drive on bys" or "why heres".

Is this the future of Geocaching? (I'm sorry for capitalizing geocaching, I did not mean that "Geo" was a _ _ _-like being)

Maybe it's time for another look at Open Caching or one of the other sites that don't require putting aside our freedom of speech. (I'm sorry again, this was a reference to the Constitution of the United States, you know, the document that guarantees the right of GC.com to exist?)

Maybe the other caching sites won't try to target certain caching teams or series of caches to make them fit a particular "PC" mold. While, at the same time, allowing other caches to be placed that don't meet caching guidelines.

While I think that hateful speech, personal vendettas or harmful agendas have absolutely no place in a "game", I've never known the words "God Bless our Troops" to cause anyone harm. For most people, except of course those at GC.com, it is pretty easy to tell the difference between harmless speech and harmful speech.

Forcing cachers to eliminate the words God or Bless from a cache page is, in my opinion, an agenda all its own!

Glad to note that some of the archived ISQ's have been adopted and "sanitized" and will live on! Yea! The person or person that wants these caches to go away is probably clenching her teeth! Their ultimate goal is to see us go away, but maybe we can live to fight another day...Elvis has left the building.So it goes. <_<

We'll be traveling through Indiana the first of October and again around the seventh. Is there any up to date bookmarks listing the ISQ caches? Also any of you cachers happen to travel through Wisconsin we have quite a few WSQ caches in the state.

We'll be traveling through Indiana the first of October and again around the seventh. Is there any up to date bookmarks listing the ISQ caches? Also any of you cachers happen to travel through Wisconsin we have quite a few WSQ caches in the state.

I think you can contact the owners of the lists on the cache pages and ask them if they update them or not. I think if a cache is disabled or archived that would be automatically noted on the list ? but I'm not sure.

Just so you know, I am hoping that our disabled Indiana Spirit Quest geocaches will be up and running in a few days. I am redacting all the agenda "Pray For Our Troops" and "God Bless America" text and other inappropriate language from the pages, as we speak, to keep them from being archived by the Indiana Reviewers. I think you can still claim a smiley on a disabled cache... but It seems I don't know much about the rules or anything anymore, so don't go by what I say.

I am honestly trying to comply with these new provisions, and if I miss something, I hope they don't archive the cache without a second chance.So it goes.

Happy caching!

Forcing cachers to eliminate the words God or Bless from a cache page is, in my opinion, an agenda all its own!

You are right...but:

GC owns this site and listing service, and has every right to control the speech here. They are a business and are just trying to make money, which is a good thing.

I don't agree with their agenda, and they don't agree with mine. But it's their house, so it's their rules.

Come to our Geocaching Event picnic Saturday and You can say anything you want about anything you want as long as you don't cuss in front of children. You can say what Rev. Wright said about America if you want! We won't censure anyone!

But that's just us.

Just some insight from my neck of the woods. I archived my 3 remaining ISQ hides the same day I archived the majority of my other caches. This was five days before I received the email from the Indiana Reviewing staff asking to make the changes to the cache pages. My archiving had nothing to due with this email, it is just reflecting the reevaluation of my personal Geocaching priorities. If there is a local cacher that would like to place a cache in any of the cemeteries that I had used for my ISQ hides please let me know. I will be more then happy to share the information I have for the cemeteries.

Chris-Team Shydog

You are right...but:

GC owns this site and listing service, and has every right to control the speech here. They are a business and are just trying to make money, which is a good thing.

I don't agree with their agenda, and they don't agree with mine. But it's their house, so it's their rules.

Come to our Geocaching Event picnic Saturday and You can say anything you want about anything you want as long as you don't cuss in front of children. You can say what Rev. Wright said about America if you want! We won't censure anyone!

But that's just us.

I guess I missed something. Is this something the Indiana reviewers came up with or is it Groundspeak's doings?

You are right...but:

No, this has been part of the rule from the beginning. Do a search on the forums for "agenda caches" and you'll find topics going back to before 2002.

This link may help you out with the current guidelines

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=77

Make sure your cache text is appropriate

Caches with business names as cache titles, or which promote

businesses are not appropriate.

Cache pages are not the place to promote charities, political or

social agendas.

Cache pages cannot require, and should not strongly encourage, the

placement of caches, particularly chain-letter type series (find this,

then plant another in the series). This is an agenda.

------------------

If you look up the above link there is another link embedded in

there. That one will take you to this section:

Solicitation and Commercial Content

Geocaches do not solicit for any purpose. Geocaches perceived to

be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are

not permitted. Geocaching is intended to be a light and enjoyable

family-friendly hobby, not a platform for an agenda.

Commercial caches are disallowed. As a general rule, reviewers

will not publish cache pages that seem commercial. A commercial cache

has one or more of the following characteristics:

It requires the finder to go inside a business, interact with

employees and/or purchase a product or service.

It has overtones of advertising, marketing or promotion.

It contains links to businesses, commercial advertisers,

charities, political agendas or social agendas.

It contains the logo of a business or organization, including

non-profit organizations.

The name of a business or commercial product is on the cache

page.

On very rare occasions, Groundspeak makes an exception for a

commercial cache. Arrangements are made before placement. If your

cache is commercial in any way, please contact Groundspeak for

clarification about how to comply with cache listing guidelines.

But that's just us.

I guess I missed something. Is this something the Indiana reviewers came up with or is it Groundspeak's doings?

For what its worth, I plan to keep my ISQ caches going. I may see if I can adopt some of the archived ones as well. I think the caches pages themselves are an excellent tribute to veterans, even without the Gob Bless Our Troops being on the page.

Is this still the place to come to obtain numbers for new ISQ caches?

For what its worth, I plan to keep my ISQ caches going. I may see if I can adopt some of the archived ones as well. I think the caches pages themselves are an excellent tribute to veterans, even without the Gob Bless Our Troops being on the page.

Is this still the place to come to obtain numbers for new ISQ caches?

Yes, they are still coordinated through me...

Edited by SixDogTeam

In all honesty, if you are now living full time out of the area then the caches need to be archived. Or at the very least have someone local adopt the caches so that maintenance can be preformed on them when needed. Having caches just sitting out there with multiple DNF's with no way of checking on them is not good for the ISQ series or any other cache for that matter.

In all honesty, if you are now living full time out of the area then the caches need to be archived. Or at the very least have someone local adopt the caches so that maintenance can be preformed on them when needed. Having caches just sitting out there with multiple DNF's with no way of checking on them is not good for the ISQ series or any other cache for that matter.

I would second this. I know there's a lot of cachers who would jump at the opportunity to adopt some of these great caches.

GOING TO HAVE TO DO A N ADDITIONAL ROUND OF EDITING ON SOME CACHE PAGES:

RECIEVED THIS EMAIL:

O] From Reviewer Hilts: ISQ Cache Issues‏

7:09 PM

Reply ▼

Geocaching Add to contacts

To postman357@hotmail.com

Note: The following is an example of the type of text that is not allowed on a cache page:

“God Bless our troops in harm's way.” “God Bless America!” “God Bless our troops and veterans.” “Support our troops” “Democracy is on the rise on the planet. Either stand with us, or stand out of our way!!” “Pray for our brave troops, the thankless heroes in harm's way fighting against the Global Terrorists” “God Bless our Troops fighting overseas to free the world from the Terror of the Infidels. Have you tied a yellow ribbon around your old oak tree?” “God Bless our Troops fighting overseas to free the world from the Terrorism of the Mindless Cretins of Darkness.” “God Bless our Troops fighting overseas to free the world from Tyranny.” “God Bless our troops in harm's way, protecting the world from Satan's Savage Barbarians” “IF WE HAVE REASON TO BELIEVE A CACHER WAS IN ONE OF OUR CEMETERIES AFTER DARK, ALL THEIR ISQ FIND LOGS WILL BE DELETED” “ALL YOUR ISQ FOUND LOGS WILL BE DELETED. THIS IS NO DRILL” “For those of you out there, as young men, who've held a Rifle on Christmas Eve, in a foreign land, and asked yourself "Why am I here?", I'm sure you know now, and thank you for your service to our country, and say a little prayer for our comrades in arms so far away from home this Holiday Season” “For those of you out there, who've held a Rifle on Christmas Eve, in a foreign land, thanks for your service to our country, and say a little prayer for our comrades in arms so far away from home this Holiday Season.” “And if you meet a returning Vet from the middle east, shake his hand and thank him for his service to our country and the world” “If you see a soldier with his pants legs pushed into the top of his boots, thank him for his service to our country” “Lex et Libertas—Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis! Please pray for our Patriot Armed Forces standing in harm’s way around the world, and for their families, especially those of our fallen Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines and Coast Guardsmen, who have died in defense of American liberty while prosecuting the war with Jihadistan” “Say a prayer for our brave troops, fighting for The Right overseas” “Say a prayer for our brave troops, fighting XXX overseas” “XXX Bless America!” “Say a X for our XX fighting for Global Security and XX overseas” “We are at war” “Thank a returning serviceman for his service” “The Wal-Mart voters won.” “If you want to replace worn American Flags, you can get them at Wal*Mart for a buck and a quarter apiece” “Thank a returning serviceman for his service, most have never heard this before” “We just finished listening to Jane French's new CD--Acoustic music and her hauntingly beautiful voice--if you like love songs, this is a must buy! Her voice is fantastic ear candy” “Say a prayer for our brave troops, fighting for The Oppressed overseas” “We support our troops “ “Thanks to all the brave men and women that have fought for our freedoms!” “Pause for a moment and reflect on the Ultimate sacrifice of those veterans (Our neighbors) who were taken home from us so young, before their time, protecting our freedoms and way of life.”

All logos “Support Our Troops” (yellow ribbons, flag graphics, red hearts with dog tags) on the cache page and in the background images.

All links to various military Geocaching organizations, Christian Motorcyclist Assoc.

All ALRs (Additional Logging Requirements) e.g. Take a picture of a grave, transcribe a grave, proceed to a certain set of coordinates and post a picture. (Note: ALRs were disallowed on April 4th, 2009 and were not grandfathered in.)

Hilts

User's Profile:

http://coord.info/PR1JNVB

Thank you Groundspeak and Reviewer Hilts for taking an intelligent stand on this.

I love my country and I am as much of a patriot as SixDogTeam or anyone else, but I really do not believe that right wing jingoism belongs on the cache page. Thank you for working to remove the offensive verbage that existed on so many of the ISQ caches.

zuma

I would second this. I know there's a lot of cachers who would jump at the opportunity to adopt some of these great caches.

Third!