Help me buy a new GPS

gouldjs

I have been trolling along with an explorist 210 for a few years. I want to get something that I can hook up to the computer to download geocaching information, something small enough to use for hunting and fishing, and of course, something that doesn't break the bank. I would really appreciate your comments, I have been to so many different sights, i'm hoping you guys can give me some advice.

Welcome to the Forums! ;)

I would recommend getting a new Garmin with the 'H' in the name. That means it has a "High Sensitivity" receiver. Garmin has a "comparison page" where you can compare the models and see which features each one has. The best, least expensive, full-featured model is probably the Legend HCx. The maps for auto-routing and Topo are optional and will cost extra.

I have been trolling along with an explorist 210 for a few years. I want to get something that I can hook up to the computer to download geocaching information, something small enough to use for hunting and fishing, and of course, something that doesn't break the bank. I would really appreciate your comments, I have been to so many different sights, i'm hoping you guys can give me some advice.

I have buddies who swear by the Garmin Rino GPS with 2 way radio. They use them while hunting as they can keep track of where everyone is on the mountain & use them to talk (whisper) to each other when game is spotted. I've never used one as I'm quite pleased with the Garmin GPSMAP 76 CSx I use while boating & for geocaches.

The link to Garmin Rino is https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=146

Great suggestions above, you can also take a look at the Garmin Geko 201, you can get it for about $70 with cable... great little device, I love mine (and I also have a 60CSx and Colorado 400t). Geko definitely comes along for the hunts.

Just depends on what 'breaking the bank' is to you.

Edited by XopherN71

I too have a 210 and recently bought a eXplorist 500. Dont waste your money with an "upgrade" of a magellen within the series. My 210 is more accurate (the 500 firmware does not sync to the WAAS, and oh ya, I can't even down grade or upgrade the fw at this time, believe me, I tried). I can download the caches into the 210 using the sw and cable that came with the unit. Be patient, for the money I spent on the 210, I cant complain.

Im starting to look into the garmin family of handhelds.

I have buddies who swear by the Garmin Rino GPS with 2 way radio. They use them while hunting as they can keep track of where everyone is on the mountain & use them to talk (whisper) to each other when game is spotted. I've never used one as I'm quite pleased with the Garmin GPSMAP 76 CSx I use while boating & for geocaches.

I wouldn't waste my money on a rhino.As long as everyone has a GPS and a radio,you can tell the other members your coords and they will know where you are.I showed my buddy and his brother how to do that while hunting in Maine and it worked out without spending 300+ per man.

Just sayin'.

I just bought a Garmin 60CSx from Amazon and paid only $236.00 with free shipping and I got it in 5 days!

I just got back from caching with it and I love it! It blows away my old Maggie. it's light and seems durable and has a TON of features.

I don't see a 60CSX for $236.00. Did you buy directly from Amazon, or another vendor?