How many Finds without GPSr

For FTF's I think only two I did without my GPSr, but total I think I've probably done about 40 without even taking the GPS out of my pocket.

Either by looking at the satellite photos, knowing the style of the hider or it being blatantly obvious like the only LP in an abandonded parking lot.

I've cached with a few guys who rarely use GPSr's except for the difficult ones. They just look at the satellite photos and head out.

My first find was without a GPSr (but that's a wee bit misleading since it was on the campus where I work and go to school). I knew the area well and didn't need a GPSr to tell me what I already knew.

I have scouted quite a few around town that I should be able to do without my GPSr. Again, because I know the area well, the cache page describes something I know/recognize, and/or Google Maps essentially showed me right where it was.

But I've also needed my GPSr for a few here in town, even knowing my way around.

(of course, I'm still the new kid on the block... so.... I don't have many of ANY kind of find.)

~Ariel

We have had 1 FTF and 100 finds without a Gpsr ..We plan on getting one for the hard finds but for now we are managing to find the smallest to the largest ones ..using maps, reading clues and logs... we have only been doing it for a month now and very addicted ... hagd all , oznkellie

My first FTF was without a GPS actually. Popped up at about 10AM and was just a mile or two from where I work, so I figured I'd give it a shot at lunchtime. I was familiar with the area and checked out the satellite photos and that coupled with the hint was enough to find it without trouble.

I FOUND MY FIST 5 WITHOUT A GPS, BUT WE NEVER DROVE TO THE CACHES, WE WOULD WALK OR RIDE BIKES,NOW WE ACTULLY TAKE THE CAR TO THE FARTHER CACHES, BUT BIKING IS WAY EASIER TO TURN AROUND. WE DECIDED TO BUY A GPS SO WE COULD SEE WHERE WE ARE IN RELATION TO THE CACHE.

IT MADE IT EASIER. NOW WE GET WITHIN 30 FEET OR SO AND PUT THE GPSR IN THE POCKET

My first 7 hides and 245 finds (of which 37 were done with a group) were done without a GPS. During this time I also had 20 FTF's. Not all of these finds were that easy, some were out in the middle of the woods or off on a remote island. I became real familar with google earth during this time. I learned how to align land marks and how to pace off between landmarks and then back track to where I needed to be. Some may criticize that I placed caches without a GPS, but I only placed them where I knew the coordinates were spot on. Many of the local cachers, stated that my coordinates were better than someone who had a GPS.