Garmin tech support and Averaging a waypoint location

I have two unrelated questions.

I recently tried sending a tech question using the form on the Garmin website and after filling in all the info I hit send and nothing happens. Has anyone used it this past week? Annoying to go thru the finger work with no results.

Second question concerns waypoint averaging on my 60CX. When I try averaging according to the manual it doesnt say anything about the window called "Measurement count" which just keeps going and going. How is it used and when do I hit SAVE?

Is it safe to assume this is what I would use prior to hiding a cache?

Thanks

60CX

3.60/3.00 software updates

City Nav 2007

It's averaging all the slightly different waypoints, each count is another waypoing it averages. This is to try to pinpoint the center of the drift. When you're setting a cache, set the gps on the cache and start an average and let it go for a few minutes then you'll have the most precise coordinates avaliable to you for that location.

Not sure about the tech support thing.

It's averaging all the slightly different waypoints, each count is another waypoing it averages. This is to try to pinpoint the center of the drift. When you're setting a cache, set the gps on the cache and start an average and let it go for a few minutes then you'll have the most precise coordinates avaliable to you for that location.

How long do you let it count, does it eventually stop ? Mine was well over 100 when I turned it off.

How long do you let it count, does it eventually stop ? Mine was well over 100 when I turned it off.

Just go to 50 or somewhere around there, it won't stop on it's own (atleast not for a very long time until it runs out of memory). If you have really bad drift under a tree cover you could let it go a little longer maybe. Just stop it and save it after a minute and then the coordinates are updated.

I just let it continue averaging until I'm finished doing whatever I have to do with the cache -- write in the logbook, make a list of the swag, hide the container, take some pictures. Sometimes I average the location for several minutes. Other times I only average for a minute or two.

Copy of my SHORT posting to the 2.51 Beta track, on this subject:

As an 'eyeball alternative' to software averaging, zoom in as close as possible and watch the current track develop. If it jumps around during the time you want to wait, put your 'averaged waypoint' at the apparent center of the jumping. And the size of the zig-zag area is a good measure of your position 'accuracy'. Actually it's the reliability, it could be reliably inaccurate.

KenZ

With regards to the tech support, i sent two enquiries over the last fortnight and noticed the same thing, i must have hit submit about 10 times.

They do however recieve the questions as both times i got a reply in the next day or two.