BALTIMORE CACHES IN THE NEWS, NOT GOOD NEWS

ROOKIE49

Ok Who was the jerk who planted an cache that looked like a pipe bomb in Baltimore? I just saw it on the the news. And it was near a Reserve center. OMG what was the owner thinking? We dont need bad publicity!!! I hope the owner is KICKED OUT of geocaching!!!!!!!

Ok Who was the jerk who planted an cache that looked like a pipe bomb in Baltimore? I just saw it on the the news. And it was near a Reserve center. OMG what was the owner thinking? We dont need bad publicity!!! I hope the owner is KICKED OUT of geocaching!!!!!!!

The name calling is unnecessary.

Here is a link to the news story. There are no caches currently listed near the location specified in the article - perhaps the cache has been archived already.

This should be in the Geocaching Topics section.

The story is here. LINK

Sounds like the authorities aren't overreacting too badly. No threats of persecution prosecution. They did say "...those who are placing the devices should be more conscious of what type of container they use..." . Not the worst reaction we've seen. Then again it is a short piece. We may hear more as time goes on.

HMM, given the MD location I'd almost think it's one of those "Psycho Urban Series" caches but I know Vin would know better :)

Seriously, while the OP is being a little harsh, I can understand his upset. Incidents like these could make municipalities think about banning our great game for public safety reasons.

The story is here. LINK

Sounds like the authorities aren't overreacting too badly. No threats of persecution prosecution. They did say "...those who are placing the devices should be more conscious of what type of container they use..." . Not the worst reaction we've seen. Then again it is a short piece. We may hear more as time goes on.

"Police said this is the second time they've blown up such a device. Officials said those who are placing the devices should be more conscious of what type of container they use to place them."

I thought this was common sense advice. People placing caches in urban enviroments really need to think and err on the side of caution.

The story is here. LINK

"Police said this is the second time they've blown up such a device. Officials said those who are placing the devices should be more conscious of what type of container they use to place them."

I thought this was common sense advice. People placing caches in urban enviroments really need to think and err on the side of caution.

Yea, but I doubt that most of the people who place such caches ever read the Forums, or they would already know not to do it.

I admit I was a little harch and may have made the mistake of believing the news report. I appologise to the owner for jumping the gun.

On the MGs site someone said they believe it was an MM container. I hope we can get this cleared up so we dont get a black eye.

Have they ever reported on the CITO events?

I admit I was a little harch and may have made the mistake of believing the news report. I appologise to the owner for jumping the gun.

On the MGs site someone said they believe it was an MM container. I hope we can get this cleared up so we dont get a black eye.

Have they ever reported on the CITO events?

Why would they? Panic sells papers. The public as a whole doesn't give a hoot about community service; it's boring to read about. Won't stop us from doing it, though.

The story is here. LINK

Yea, but I doubt that most of the people who place such caches ever read the Forums, or they would already know not to do it.

Many don't even read the guidelines... ;)

It was a M&M container, hanging in a tree I believe. Placed by an established & reputable MD Geocacher, and from the info I have on the caches location, shouldn't have raised any great concern.

Media and Baltimore County Police milked this for all the attention they could drum up.

It was a M&M container, hanging in a tree I believe. Placed by an established & reputable MD Geocacher, and from the info I have on the caches location, shouldn't have raised any great concern.

Media and Baltimore County Police milked this for all the attention they could drum up.

I spoke to the owner last evening and this was a M&M container hanging in a tree with camo tape around it and it HAD a GC.com sticker on it with all of his contact information on it. You woulda thunk that the police would have realized this and been able to contact the owner. This was such an overreaction to get attention. BTW, this was hidden in a small little park with a playground. The owner did absolutely nothing wrong and followed all rules.

-Hacksta

I spoke to the owner last evening and this was a M&M container hanging in a tree with camo tape around it and it HAD a GC.com sticker on it with all of his contact information on it. You woulda thunk that the police would have realized this and been able to contact the owner. This was such an overreaction to get attention. BTW, this was hidden in a small little park with a playground. The owner did absolutely nothing wrong and followed all rules.

-Hacksta

I think the Police and Media need to do some tush kissing for how they went over board about this. Just curious has the cacher tried to get with the Mayor or something to see if he could get a public apology for this?

Also, since you know the cacher that placed it if he or she wants to PM me I will get with them over email and write a story for him or her. I wish I was closer I would do a story on it and take photos.