Reporting a really bad experience!

susancm1234

Tonight, my husband and 2 sons (5 and 8) went for our first hunt. We were wihin 20 feet, on a nature preserve that backs up to houses. Just as we heard dogs begin to bark, this unbelievable man came out inhis back yard and screamed at us to leave as we were on "private property". (Confirmed not true)

He was sreming the most vile language in front of, and directed at my children, I just couldn't believe it.

He continued screaming obscenities until we couldn't hear him any more.

Both my kids were crying, becuase the man had threatened to call police.

I guess he is upset we made his dogs bark, but I really think this one should be taken off the list.

This crazy man was screaming he was going to "kick my husband's a**", etc. IN FRONT OF MY CHILDREN!

And we were making no noise, and the Preserve is definately public property.

I don't know who to report this to, but it is a cache in Cedar Park, Texas.

Wow, that's really uncalled for and I'm sorry you and most importantly you kids, had to go through something like that.

Flip side, I could almost see this thread turning into a challenge for someone... "Let's see if I can get this person to come after me, I'll show him" kind of thing.

Tough call... better luck in the future.

Tonight, my husband and 2 sons (5 and 8) went for our first hunt. We were wihin 20 feet, on a nature preserve that backs up to houses. Just as we heard dogs begin to bark, this unbelievable man came out inhis back yard and screamed at us to leave as we were on "private property". (Confirmed not true)

He was sreming the most vile language in front of, and directed at my children, I just couldn't believe it.

I guess he is upset we made his dogs bark, but I really think this one should be taken off the list.

This crazy man was screaming he was going to "kick my husband's a**", etc. IN FRONT OF MY CHILDREN!

Really, you need to post the encounter on the cache page. From there we can start to address the situation with the cache owner, the reviewer, the park officials, and the authorities.

One step at a time. Post and then email the cache owner directly.

Sorry you had such a bad first cache experience.

Edited by BlueDeuce

After posting a note onto the cache page to warn others, a call to the Cedar Park police to file a complaint is in order. File against him for interfering with your right to use public lands, and for the obsenities yelled at your children. Might drive back by there and get the correct address, or go back with an officer and show the location.

Your tax dollars pay for that land and it's maintenance. If you wish to use it in an acceptable and legal fashion, he has no right to confront you. If he doesn't like people on public land behind his house, I suggest he move!

This is one reason I don't like caching at night near residential areas. Its very possible that during the day the homeowner is away and if the dogs bark at people in the preserve it doesn't bother him. However in the evening he doesn't expect anyone to be in the nature preserve, certainly not standing around searching near his property. While you might have a right to be there, it is certainly understandable that the neighbor would get suspicious that you are up to no good. I would simply avoid caches like this at night.

Cachers need to consider neighbors when hiding their caches in urban parks or preserves that butt up to the backs of houses. Even during the day, neighbors to these areas are likely to view geocachers suspiciously. People should try to find hiding places where you can search for caches out of view of the neighbors and where you're not so likely to get the dogs barking at you.

Just responded to you on the CenTex list too, but I'll repeat some of that here. As others have said, shoot a note to the owner and log it in your note on the cache page as to what happened.

It could very well be that the guy is "claiming" the preserve land as part of his back yard (I'd welcome having the police come out and help clear it up if I didn't feel threatened). It could also be that the cache is placed somewhere it shouldn't be.

It's sad that this was your first experience out, but "weird" things like this are very rare, so don't let it deter you from finding some of the great caches in our area!

I am appalled that one of your first experiences ended up in a confrontation. Worse yet is the lack of humanity shown by the neighbour. Secondary to the whole experience would be the lack of consideration by the placer for inconsiderate homeowners who feel threatened by strangers in their supposed back yard late at night. Maybe they should move to the country, where they could use more serious means of protecting what is not really theirs? ;)

Perhaps, the cache owner could contact anyone near the cache and explain the game. That's what I do when a cache hide can be seen by nearby residents.

There are many great caches in the Austin area. Its too bad you had this experience for your first cache. I can assure you it was a rare occurance. As the others have stated, be sure to log your visit on the cache page even if it is a "did not find". This could be a warning to others.

Edited by groundhog123

...I don't know who to report this to, but it is a cache in Cedar Park, Texas.

First email the cache owner about Mr. Panties in a Twist. They need to know.

The cache itself is fine since it's not on the guys land, but the guy is obviously a problem.

Your other thing is that you can report it to the police. The may not be able to do anything in your case but it helps them to know a wack job is in the area.

Under the law assault is defined as an attempt to commit a battery. I'm pretty sure that a strong threat can be construed as an attempt that will happen. So why not report the guy threatening battery to the police? At least that way the police could go out and tell that guy what's going to happen if he threatens local citizens again. I can't believe he did that in front of kids. What a bleep-hole.

Edited by TrailGators

Geez, I hope this isolated incident didn't turn you or your family off to Geocaching! It really is a GREAT time!

I think all you Cachers near Cedar Park, Texas should get together and do a group caching event geared toward this cache...in the evening, bring some of your own dogs to drive his dogs nuts...LOL!!

Helga

ANYONE who would talk like that to a FAMILY with children present regardless of the circumstances should be reported to the authorities.

Now, you had a sour one. Let me assure you that instances like that will be rare and you probably won't have another.

Just to counter that bad report, I have included a couple of recent logs from one of my caches (GC18TEE) which is near a playground. And, no, the person who cooks breakfast is not me.

March 30 by PS2 kid (467 found)

nice hide i found it after wandering around the area and saw it!then when we got back to the truck the land owner was out so we talked to him for about 15-20 mins.he said "on a nice Saturday we can come down to eat breakfast with him". (oh yeah the cache should be named "chili")

March 30 by DevilDog64 (1135 found)

3Rd times a charm.I looked in this spot when there was a few inches of snow and over looked it last time. After I found the cache for some reason I got hungry for chili. Then when I walk out to my truck,I met the land owner,very nice guy.We talked for about 15 minutes.In fact he said when wheather get better he cooks breakfast over the fire in edge of the woods every Saturday morning and invited me over.Now I really hungry. TFTC

This is one reason I don't like caching at night near residential areas. Its very possible that during the day the homeowner is away and if the dogs bark at people in the preserve it doesn't bother him. However in the evening he doesn't expect anyone to be in the nature preserve, certainly not standing around searching near his property. While you might have a right to be there, it is certainly understandable that the neighbor would get suspicious that you are up to no good. I would simply avoid caches like this at night.

Cachers need to consider neighbors when hiding their caches in urban parks or preserves that butt up to the backs of houses. Even during the day, neighbors to these areas are likely to view geocachers suspiciously. People should try to find hiding places where you can search for caches out of view of the neighbors and where you're not so likely to get the dogs barking at you.

I believe tozainamboku is right. You state "tonight" that can make a difference.

I would contact the cache owner first to get it moved, disabled or archived. Yeah, the neighbor was way out of line, but I get how people don't like folks snooping in "their backyard". If this is a new cache, he has probably not enjoyed how his neck of the woods has suddenly become popular with folks poking around near his shrubbery.

While you weren't on his property, other less thoughtful cachers may have been traipsing through the back yard. If I am near private property, I try to err on the side of caution. Confrontation and calling the police and getting this guy more irritated is going to get someone hurt -- better to just move the cache 100 feet down the trail. Getting barraged with foul language is one thing -- dodging buckshot is another.

I would then mention the suspicious neighbor in the logs -- but I would strongly discourage you from telling folks to confront this guy. I would encourage people to either avoid the cache entirely or approach with extreme caution.

I assure you, these things don't happen very often (I have had the cops called on me once while rooting around under a footbridge). Most people are just curious. Personally, I am not into stealth -- I have seen geocachers trying to be "stealthy", and all it does is attract attention. My experience is that things go better when you don't look like you are hiding, or hiding something.

What cache is it? I'd love to add it to my list of "to do's" when I head back to Texas to visit the folks. It's people like that I respond, "Sure, I'll call the cops right now for you. What's you address?"

"Tonight" is relative in Texas. If memory serves me it most likely wasn't even dark out yet.