IF I had the money

IF and its a Big if which handheld would be my best option.

I'd like something that would work like a regular satnav in the car ( turn by turn), something that could wireless attach to the PC, detailed maps that show footpaths and bridleways, recharges via the car cigarette lighter, something that shows the cache info without the print outs and maybe play mp3's :lol:

Basically I'm thinking a Tom tom - pda - ipod - bluetooth - os map - gpsr :lol:

Sean and Sue

Edited by The Mad MG's

<<I'd like something that would work like a regular satnav in the car >>

Well, your SatNav must be better than ours!! We have TomTom (a pressie from friends) and a built-in one in our latest car. They both get one from A-B (sometimes) but the routes chosen are quite hopeless. Either the "quickest", which takes us miles out of our way just to get to a dual carriageway or motorway, or the "shortest" which has several times taken us down unusable tracks! We rarely use them now, preferring our tried and tested method of GPS plus memory map.

All we would say otherwise is make sure you get Garmin as the after-sales service is the best of any company in the known Universe.

You could have a Garmin map 60 csx and combine it with an ipaq or similar running Tomtom. not a cheap option but a very versatile one.

Why not just install Memory Map on the PPC and don't bother with the Garmin? Either get a PPC with a built in GPS, such as a Mio p350/550 a701, or my HTC Kaiser/TYTN II or get an even cheaper PPC with Bluetooth and get a GPS mouse.

The Garmin unit that you have all recommended so far does not do half the things the OP asked for. Does it play mp3s? Connect to a PC wirelessly? Does it do turn by turn satnav (may do I'm not sure)? Can you get full cache info from it like you can with Cachemate? Do you get a display like this below?

aV1zdxjr.jpg

On which when you select a cache you get this:

aV1zeGEA.jpg

In addition to the things the OP asked for, he would also be able o send & recieve email, make phone calls, send SMS, have full HTML internet access via 3g, Edge, HSDPA, GPRS or wifi, play games, edit MS Office documents, sync his outlook calender & contacts and install whatever different apps or games he chooses.

You could have a Garmin map 60 csx and combine it with an ipaq or similar running Tomtom. not a cheap option but a very versatile one.

Why not just install Memory Map on the PPC and don't bother with the Garmin? Either get a PPC with a built in GPS, such as a Mio p350/550 a701, or my HTC Kaiser/TYTN II or get an even cheaper PPC with Bluetooth and get a GPS mouse.

The Garmin unit that you have all recommended so far does not do half the things the OP asked for. Does it play mp3s? Connect to a PC wirelessly? Does it do turn by turn satnav (may do I'm not sure)? Can you get full cache info from it like you can with Cachemate? Do you get a display like this below?

aV1zdxjr.jpg

aV1zeGEA.jpg

In addition to the things the OP asked for, he would also be able o send & recieve email, make phone calls, send SMS, have full HTML internet access via 3g, Edge, HSDPA, GPRS or wifi, play games, edit MS Office documents, sync his outlook calender & contacts and install whatever different apps or games he chooses.

Thats all very good but where do you buy this device and how much is it? i checked on your link and it just keeps telling me opps!

Know what?

I'd NEVER have something that did all that and then made my lunch for me too... what happens when one part of it goes belly up? you're stuck!

I'm more than happy with a cheap palm, my 60C and a stand alone Tom Tom.

(Which, by the way, has NEVER tried to take me on daft routes - always stick to the fastest route though, not the shortest)

Also - what happens when your batteries run out? end of caching for the day! if the battery on the palm goes (which it takes DAYS worth of use to do) I generally have D and T and hint on the 60C.

Admittedly, I WOULD love a PDA for memory map, but I'd only drop it or get it wet!

There are no hard and fast rules - it depends on what you want, how careful you are and how you cache.

If I were you - I'd get a few more caches under your belt and perhaps see how you like to cache 1st. You'll soon make the right decisions.

Edited by HazelS

Definately the Garmin 60Csx :D

Yep totally agree, have dropped my 60CSx three times with no problem in just over a year of use. :D

Working outside, (Mobile Phone Industry) I'm on my 5th Mobile Phone and 3rd PDA, Mobiles/PDAs don't like being dropped or water. ;)

The HTC device is really nice but not for a techno-idiot like me, who works at height and gets wet, well very wet!!! I have actually had a "play" with an HTC, cannot remember which one, but it was about £450 and did everything. :P

Have to agree it is a great device and as posted does EVERYTHING, BUT!! :o

The company I work for did think about buying them (x10) but we stopped when we tried to find out there IP (Ingress Protection) rating, we were told they were tested for "normal use" which basically means use it in your bed with plenty of pillows around and make sure your roof does not leak!!! ;):D

Don't quote me but I seem to remember that a 60CSx can withstand full immersion, in water, for 5 minutes. I think Garmin use an IPX rating not the EU IP rating so cannot remember.

In the end my company thought better of the "all in one device" and settled for a GPS (Garmin 60CSx), TomTom (PDA or Standalone), Laptop (for Internet Access/E-mail/etc) and a very cheap mobile phone!!! :D

As for five mobile phones in one year!!!

1) Dropped from 30m while on a tower!! :o

2) Dropped from 150m while working on a tower, (small hole still in the ground)!!!! :o:o

3) Left on roof of van, drove off, found by mate who drove over it!!!! :lol::lol:

4) Fell down the loo, the phone not me!!! :lol::lol:

5) Dropped from 60m while on a tower, BUT, luckily the Astra van below broke it's fall!! ;)

Cheers

Nick

Being a gadget junkie who walks a lot I have both of the above and can say that combining the two is the ultimate combination if money is no object as you say. Just Google "HTC TyTN II" to find out more. It's about the same price the CSx was when it came out.

The Garmin GPSMAP60 CSx is perfect for most caching as it's robust, waterproof, accurate, holds a great signal and runs all day on a set of batteries. Expandable memory, unlimited POI and long descriptions are great for geocaching too.

The HTC TyTN II will do everything the CSx does and all the other bits you're after, like run Memory Map, run TomTom (CSx will give basic sat nav providing you purchase a routing map), wireless, plays mp3s (and movies) and runs Cachemate to manage listings (or other applications, or browser for HTML listings).

It will recharge from car lighter socket (so will the CSx), though this is pretty irrelevant as rechargeable batteries are cheap. Just get a battery extender.

So what's the drawback? PPC / PDA solutions are not waterproof or rugged. Some cachers use Otterboxes to combat this deficiency. Personally I would not use it as my primary geocaching device, but it complements perfectly.

Yep totally agree, have dropped my 60CSx three times with no problem in just over a year of use. ;)

2) Dropped from 150m while working on a tower, (small hole still in the ground)!!!! :D:lol:

I dropped mine a few times at first, then put it on a lanyard so it can't hit the ground.

I don't think it would survive a 150m drop though. :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by SidAndBob

Thanks for the info everyone.

As I said its a big 'if' ,money issue and I'm a self confessed gadget junkie, so just researching at the mo and all above has given food for thought.

Presently I'm caching with a Navman, Garmin venture HC and Samsung phone and lots of print-outs and OSmaps. Just need a little room in my backpack for a few sandwiches for my little adventures ;)

excellent advice, many thanks

Sean and Sue

Yes, How much is it and where do you get it as the link says OOps! :mad::P

The link works for me, I just tried it. Anyway, you can get them from Orange or O2 as an upgrade. O2 call it the Vario III, Orange call it the TYTN II. The correct HTC name for it is the Kaiser, but they're all the same device.

There are loads of them on Ebay and you will get an new & unlocked one for around £275.

I also used to have Garmin units, but have sold them both as I found I don't use them anymore. If you buy an aquapac mini to put the device in it is 100% waterproof and will survive a fall a lot more readily.

Batteries have never been an issue for me. I charge it in the car between caches and only put the screen on when I need to look at it. Never even been close to running out yet.

aV1zdxjr.jpg

aV1zeGEA.jpg

Well Ive looked and they appear to be about £450 quid + (can`t seem to find one at 275 )

ok if you `ve got the disposable income but hang on ! doesnt the new garmin do the paperless caching thing as well .... and unless you are a gadget junkie ; most folks will have changed their mobile for something small and discreet, not a blinking big lump like this , hmmmmmm

and if they`re on Ebay (cheap) that says to me that people are not too happy with them, if they were that good you wouldn`t be avble to get one for love or money , Hmmmmmm :ph34r:

Edited by Archangel_UK

Definately the Garmin 60Csx :D

Yep totally agree, have dropped my 60CSx three times with no problem in just over a year of use. :D

Working outside, (Mobile Phone Industry) I'm on my 5th Mobile Phone and 3rd PDA, Mobiles/PDAs don't like being dropped or water. :huh:

The HTC device is really nice but not for a techno-idiot like me, who works at height and gets wet, well very wet!!! I have actually had a "play" with an HTC, cannot remember which one, but it was about £450 and did everything. :P

Have to agree it is a great device and as posted does EVERYTHING, BUT!! :D

The company I work for did think about buying them (x10) but we stopped when we tried to find out there IP (Ingress Protection) rating, we were told they were tested for "normal use" which basically means use it in your bed with plenty of pillows around and make sure your roof does not leak!!! B):)

Don't quote me but I seem to remember that a 60CSx can withstand full immersion, in water, for 5 minutes. I think Garmin use an IPX rating not the EU IP rating so cannot remember.

In the end my company thought better of the "all in one device" and settled for a GPS (Garmin 60CSx), TomTom (PDA or Standalone), Laptop (for Internet Access/E-mail/etc) and a very cheap mobile phone!!! :ph34r:

As for five mobile phones in one year!!!

1) Dropped from 30m while on a tower!! :D

2) Dropped from 150m while working on a tower, (small hole still in the ground)!!!! :o:o

3) Left on roof of van, drove off, found by mate who drove over it!!!! :P:D

4) Fell down the loo, the phone not me!!! :ph34r::ph34r:

5) Dropped from 60m while on a tower, BUT, luckily the Astra van below broke it's fall!! ;)

Cheers

Nick

you do seem to like dropping phones off towers don`t you :huh:

Well Ive looked and they appear to be about £450 quid + (can`t seem to find one at 275 )

ok if you `ve got the disposable income but hang on ! doesnt the new garmin do the paperless caching thing as well .... and unless you are a gadget junkie ; most folks will have changed their mobile for something small and discreet, not a blinking big lump like this , hmmmmmm

and if they`re on Ebay (cheap) that says to me that people are not too happy with them, if they were that good you wouldn`t be avble to get one for love or money , Hmmmmmm :ph34r:

:huh::P

Edited by SidAndBob

and if they`re on Ebay (cheap) that says to me that people are not too happy with them, if they were that good you wouldn`t be avble to get one for love or money , Hmmmmmm :laughing:

Well you didn't look very hard did you?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T-MOBILE-MDA-VARIO-I...1QQcmdZViewItem

They are on Ebay because people get them as a phone upgrade and then sell them to make money, not because they don't like them.

Yes the garmin does paperless caching, just as a zx81 does computing.

The 'disposable income' you mentioned is irrelevant in this thread, please read the title of the topic.

The only downside of them is that at the moment you can't disable static nav with the Qualcomm chipset, hopefully a driver release will fix this soon though.

Edited by melmur

The Garmin GPSMAP60 CSx is perfect for most caching as it's robust, waterproof, accurate, holds a great signal and runs all day on a set of batteries. Expandable memory, unlimited POI and long descriptions are great for geocaching too.

I think that the Legend or Venture HCx is a better option: with all the same advantages as the older 60CSx but with some further improvements (better battery life in the Legend, lighter, better GPS reception). Still a bit heavy for my preference at 5.5 oz (156g), but not as bad as the pocket-straining 7.5 oz (213g) of the 60CSx. With a 2Gb microSD card, you can keep maps and POI on board for just about everywhere, and it does do turn-by-turn routing.

To answer the OP question: I haven't seen one in action, but I imagine that you'd be after a Trimble Nomad.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Is it just me that's noticed PSHAX's info...

"From: Near Heathrow"

Avatar: a rocket launcher.... :laughing:

LOL...

one of my other hobbies is building and flying big scary rockets... the one in the piccie is only a littlun!

I hasten to add it wasn't launched anywhere near Heathrow!!!! :rolleyes:

P.

Well, if money was no object, I would go for a Trimble GeoXH... It is "Only" $5295.00.....OUCH.... :laughing:

Very nice.....but no GPRS. :rolleyes:

I'm beginning to think there is no perfect solution yet, however much you pay.

The GeoXH is the only handheld computer to offer subfoot GPS accuracy...

I wish the person who set that cache I did yesterday that was 65' out from the posted coords had one of these. ;)

Edited by SidAndBob

In my opinion, the bost solution for geocaching and the criteria stated bt the OP is a Mio p550, which is what I would go for if I didn't want mine to be a phone as well.

Why? Compared to the Trimbles it looks much inferior. E.g. non-rugged, only a 320x240 screen. Probably a very good device, but we're talking unlimited price here!

Don't you think the accuracy of the cache placer's equipment is of more importance?

You can have the most expensive piece of kit in the world, but if the cache placer was using something less, you'd still be in the same quandry/search mode.

Isn't that the "fun" of geocaching?

That might be so, but it's not the thread topic. :laughing::rolleyes:

I wish the person who set that cache I did yesterday that was 65' out from the posted coords had one of these. :laughing:

Don't you think the accuracy of the cache placer's equipment is of more importance?

You can have the most expensive piece of kit in the world, but if the cache placer was using something less, you'd still be in the same quandry/search mode.

That was exactly my point, although it was supposed to be light hearted.

you do seem to like dropping phones off towers don`t you ;)

Yep, give it to me and I'll break it!!! :lol:

As I actually work outside then any "gadget" I'm given will be put through it's paces very quickly and most PDA's/Mobiles will fail very quickly in the "wet". :o:o

If you want to use a "device" outside then you need to know it's IP/IPX rating. Why spend £450 on a "device" that can only be used in you living room!!! :o:o

As for my destuction of mobiles/PDAs, now six, killed another one today :lol::lol:

1) Don't trust velcro :rolleyes:

2) Don't trust pockets ;);)

3) If it can fall out, it WILL!!! :D:P:D

4) Don't trust any anything that claims to be water proof :D:D:huh:;)

Why 4), well as I found out today the "water proof" bag I had the mobile in, filled up with water and YEP!!!

Knackered MOBILE, strange thing, mobile today was in also in a "waterproof" pocket and it was hail NOT rain ;)

Cheers

Nick