Arizona Topo Map Re-released!

-Oz-

Random segments appear to still have the meters errors, I won't pull the download since it doesn't affect the all the segments but expect a new release by the end of the weekend. The following quads have errors: E5, F2-F4, G2, G6, H2-H5, I1-I5, J4, J6. (25%)

Hey everyone,

I'm not quite as fast as indyjpr but I have finally released my first total state coverage topographic map. My map for Arizona is complete and available from my new website here.

Topo map information:

• 40 ft Contours
  • High resolution water data
  • Road Data
  • Railroads
  • Land Use Data (except indian reservations)
  • State and County boundaries
  • Trails - limited trail coverage including: Grand Canyon, Sunrise Ski Park, Granite Mountain Recreation Area trails, and a few others
  • Segment sizes at 100k grid so its great for older GPSr's

Here are a few screenshots as well as comparison with Garmin's two Topo maps:

Garmin 60csx:

1207952815.jpg

1207952358.jpg

Comparison with current Garmin Topo's:

1207952935.jpg

If you have any questions or issues let me know. I hope to release an update in a few weeks.

Once again: Arizona Topo Map v1.01

Thanks to IndyJpr for all his help and Carl for providing the trails for the Grand Canyon. And also thanks to everyone who pointed out the errors in v1.00.

Edited by robertlipe

Unfortunately, some of the segments still have the meter bug present. Take a look at H3, H4, H5, I3, I4, and I5, (between Phoenix and Tucson, basically) for example. Those're just a few that I noticed right away. There could be more; I'd be happy to check the rest of the state and make a list if it'd help.

Unfortunately, some of the segments still have the meter bug present. Take a look at H3, H4, H5, I3, I4, and I5, (between Phoenix and Tucson, basically) for example. Those're just a few that I noticed right away. There could be more; I'd be happy to check the rest of the state and make a list if it'd help.

Wow, what on earth... Thankfully its the weekend so I can fix this but I have no idea why a bunch would work and a bunch wouldn't; and how the ones I check work.

If you find more segments I'll update just those so I can get a fix out faster. I'll start checking but assistance would be great. This is embarrassing.

EDIT: I've checked rows A-D, one error in E... and they're all alright so its definitely a fluke.

Edited by -Oz-

I notice that there seems to be duplication of the trails in the Grand Canyon (South Kaibab trail, for example). There is one that matches the usual grey line used to represent trails and another, offset a bit and a slightly different route, that is a wide white line that I would normally associate with a road. If I put the pointer over the grey line, I get the trail name. If I put the pointer over the wide white line, it says "alley." Are these really both supposed to be there?

Edited by sma12

You've really done a great job pulling this toegether. Not having made any maps myself I'm really speaking from ignorance but why do you suppose Lake Pleasant, just north of Phoenix is still shown the size it was 15 years ago? A new dam was built and the lake is now 3 times the size it was. the spillway elevation is 1704 feet. Don't feel bad, Garmins topo 08, and CN08 still show the old elevation also. I guess someone hasn't updated the GIS in all these years?

NEW VERSION RELEASED (why I can't edit my old post is beyond me).

V 1.02 fixed the rest of the contour errors and I know how to make sure it never happens again.

Tomorrow I'll see if I can fix the grand canyon trails.

You've really done a great job pulling this toegether. Not having made any maps myself I'm really speaking from ignorance but why do you suppose Lake Pleasant, just north of Phoenix is still shown the size it was 15 years ago? A new dam was built and the lake is now 3 times the size it was. the spillway elevation is 1704 feet. Don't feel bad, Garmins topo 08, and CN08 still show the old elevation also. I guess someone hasn't updated the GIS in all these years?

THat would definitely be a USGS thing. If I can find a source with that updated I definitely will use it.

Updated to version 1.1

Large updates and fixes in this version:

Version 1.1 (16 Jun 08)

* Updated to 2007 National Tiger Road Data

* Updated to 2007 National Tiger Railroad Data

* Added major powerlines

* Included airport runways (2007 Tiger Data)

* Included Native American Reservations

* Updated Grand Canyon Trails (removed duplicates)

* Fixed trails marked as roads

* Fixed road locations in Pima County

The download is as usual at GPSFileDepot Arizona Topo Map

If you notice any errors, as usual, let me know.

If anyone has a good rep over at hikearizona.com or is willing to start downloading the trails from there it would make for an awesome addition to this map.

If you have a good rep see if you can get Joe to give up the trails.

Any luck yet on getting these trails added?

I can download them but I use a mac and don't have access to a machine to convert them, is there anyway I can send them to you to add to the map?

Very interested.

BoB

I've released a large update to the Arizona Topo; version 1.2

This update has the following noticeable changes:

Version 1.2 (30 Dec 08)

* Updated to 2008 National Tiger Road Data

* Fixed issues with roads in Pima County

* Updated to 2008 National Tiger Rail Data

* Updated major power lines (2008 Tiger)

* Updated airport runways (2008 Tiger)

* Updated many trails including adding National Forest Service Trails (increased from <50 to >400)

* Removed duplicate trails

* Made map end at the state border (easier to not have issues with neighboring maps)

* Updated GNIS (points of interest) points

Most people will notice the road improvements (both accuracy and updates) and the additional trails.

Opinions comments, etc, let me know here or in the forums at GPSFileDepot

Updates for the other maps are pending.

II just thought I would let you know that some of the roads are duplicated and labeled as two different roads/trails at the same time.

I have a track if you would like to see it though the area I noticed affected. Just north of Lake Pleasent, there were severl trails that had a line labled "Road" and a line labled "trail" that followed eachother. The appropriate marker would either be "Trail" or "4wd Trail". Garmin Topo 2008 had these trails marked "Trial".

Otherwise with the two identical GPSes, one with Garmins, and the other with this, this one was far more accurate and much more deatiled.

Thanks for all the great work. PM me if you need further details on my findings.

-MadManX

This is a very old thread but I thought some people would be interested to know I've released version 2.00 of the Arizona Topo Map.

Improvements include:

* Reduced the number of map segments from 68 to 46

* Increased segment size from 1 degree x 1/2 degree to 1 degree x 3/4 degree (minimum)

* Fixed duplicate/double trails throughout the state; especially in the Grand Canyon area

* Updated the road data to the 2009 Census data

* Included USFS recreation points

* Updated the GNIS POIs

* Decreased the contour interval from 40ft to 30ft

* Used new DEM data providing improved accuracy in certain areas

* Added many additional trails

* Added Apache-Sitgreaves snowmobile trails

So, the big changes are: more contour lines, more up to date roads, and for us hikers a lot more hiking trails.