event donations

Howdy all,

we are planning our first big event in july ( south texas ), and are looking for ways to get donations for door prizes etc.

i have put out quite a lot out of my pocket, and that's no problem, but i've been trying to contact coin people and sporting goods people, and no one wants to donate.

not even for free press ( local tv might be there )

anyone have any ideas?

thanks,

HAPPY CACHING

What's the event? If you belong to any local clubs, ask for donations there, if you go into the coin forums you might get them to amke a donation and if you write to GS, they might be able to help as well!!

If you shoot me your addy, I would be more than happy to lend a hand!!

Good luck!

Stoholmerne, I've hosted a couple of events, but have not charged anyone yet! Yes, the out-of-pocket is a bit much, but the fun and friends you get to come is worth it!! Many will actually make a contribution at the event if you put out donation jars! I think hosting an event is more than worth the money, we just try to come close to breaking even by having coins made and sold, selling items in auctions and maybe even a raffle if allowed in your area!

50/50 tickets at the event. Raffle off some ammo can caches with all the trimmings ready to hide.

I'm pretty sure that pay raffles have been ruled out, there was a thread about that, if one of the experts wants to search it out(and add a link), thanks. If you plan to do free raffle, I have some leftover tickets I could send.

What's the event? If you belong to any local clubs, ask for donations there, if you go into the coin forums you might get them to amke a donation and if you write to GS, they might be able to help as well!!

If you shoot me your addy, I would be more than happy to lend a hand!!

Good luck!

I might be able to help a little, send me a note and we can talk.

Ask is all you can do. My experience is that people will come just to be there and meet others - no need for anything elaborate as a door prize.

Be very careful to not cross the line and turn the event into any kind of commercial promotion without explicit permission from HQ.

Yeah, what she said. There's a big differencs between asking for monetary danations, and asking for help gathering up the prizes.

50/50 tickets at the event. Raffle off some ammo can caches with all the trimmings ready to hide.

I'm pretty sure that pay raffles have been ruled out, there was a thread about that, if one of the experts wants to search it out(and add a link), thanks. If you plan to do free raffle, I have some leftover tickets I could send.

I'll have to check into that. Who made that determination? Is it a question of legality? Not sure about other states but NY takes a dim view on gambling and considers raffle to be gambling. Thing is it is generally overlooked in these circumstances. I wouldn't think twice about selling a ticket to a state trooper if he happened to stop by.

Now if it is a guidelines thing that is a kettle of fish of a different color. Any body have more info? I've seen this done on many occasions and expect I'll see it again. If TPTB have a problem with it I may be able to extort a few percent of the take to keep my mouth shut. :)

I'll have to check into that. Who made that determination? Is it a question of legality? Not sure about other states but NY takes a dim view on gambling and considers raffle to be gambling. Thing is it is generally overlooked in these circumstances. I wouldn't think twice about selling a ticket to a state trooper if he happened to stop by.

Now if it is a guidelines thing that is a kettle of fish of a different color. Any body have more info? I've seen this done on many occasions and expect I'll see it again. If TPTB have a problem with it I may be able to extort a few percent of the take to keep my mouth shut. :)

I'm not the expert to look up the thread about it, but I think it was a gambling thing that GS didn't want to get wrapped up in.

I found this topic on raffles. I haven't read the whole thread but the big questions seem to be how to list it on the page and if it is legal. The first part is easy, don't list it on the page. I don't know what the official GC position though. The second part is a bit more difficult. Your state and local laws may very.

50/50 tickets at the event

In Florida, that would only be legal if the host is a state registered not-for-profit.

The Florida Geocaching Association is, but I doubt any other likely event hosts in this state would be.

If it's illegal, it can't go on a cache page. It would depend upon state law.

Aside from that, events are fine without a bunch of door prizes. Personally I prefer events without much in the way of prizes. A coin or two, a t-shirt, an ammo can. Something, but not a lot of somethings.

The prize distribution just takes too much time away from the Meetin' Greetin' and Eatin'.

Getting $$ for food and perhaps venue rental is another matter. A donations jar will help a lot, or a modest fee if it's really needed.

50/50 tickets at the event

In Florida, that would only be legal if the host is a state registered not-for-profit.

The Florida Geocaching Association is, but I doubt any other likely event hosts in this state would be.

If it's illegal, it can't go on a cache page. It would depend upon state law.

Aside from that, events are fine without a bunch of door prizes. Personally I prefer events without much in the way of prizes. A coin or two, a t-shirt, an ammo can. Something, but not a lot of somethings.

The prize distribution just takes too much time away from the Meetin' Greetin' and Eatin'.

Getting $$ for food and perhaps venue rental is another matter. A donations jar will help a lot, or a modest fee if it's really needed.

Yeah, in those cases, it's Ok to ask for help paying for the cost, as long as you're not pocketing any extra money.

i pretty much decided to just go with the flow and have a good time.

i have a couple of games planned and a scavenger hunt for the non geocachers with a full CITO trash bag as one of the items to bring back, everyone bringing a full trash bag will get a ticket...more trash bags more tickets.

no money..none of that stuff, just fun.

it looks to be a pretty big event, as lots of people like the beach.

you just can't count on anyone to help out...so i will just do it myself

We are having our 4th Annual Event in August. I usually go around to certain businesses and ask nicely if they would like to donate something. I also tell them I will write up a letter stating the donation which they use for tax purposes.

The local brewery always gives us a gift certificate and wooden nickels for free brews, those I place in new caches before the event.

Garmin has also been great. They usually send 10 T-Shirts, stickers, hats, can coolers, etc. I send them a letter with a copy of the Event page. The wait is about two months, so be prepared.

We have NEVER received anything from Magellan.

All you have to do is ask. Good Luck!

In addition to donated items from Garmin & Magellan, we simply 'pass the hat'!

We keep costs as extremely low as possible and the 'hat' has always covered the expenses with some to spare for the startup of the next event . . . it seems it has always been about the comradery & fun, not the stuff. Simplicity is the key to success for the avid event planners.