Delorme PN-20 or Garmin Colorado 400t or ?

So what does everyone think? I am going to be upgrading from my Garmin Venture Cx and right now I am leaning towards the Delorme PN-20, but I'm still open. Currently I use my Venture along with Delorme Topo 6.0 on my laptop. The obvious advantage to the PN-20 is that I would have Topo 7.0 on the GPS unit instead of playing the game of transferring waypoints after figuring out what I need to know. Also just to note is that I mostly use this for scouting and hunting.

I have heard some good things about the Garmin Colorado series, but I don't see anything yet that wants to make me pay a premium for it versus the PN-20 since with the current rebate you can get it for $299. I am also open to others as well. The main thing for me is the mapping detail on the GPS and having a good signal out in the boonies (of AZ and CO).

Any opinions??? :lol: And when I do get it I guess I'll be looking to sell my Venture

Welcome to the Forums.

For hiking> PN-20

For Geocaching> Co 400t

The PN-20 I believe allows you to load into it maps from Topo 7 with Trails that you can add to it from the PC. You can add draw objects to the Topo 7 map, before loading to the GPS.

Edited by GOT GPS?

I was debating between the PN-20 and the 400t. But after seeing one in person and knowing I would be using the device for 99% geocaching I decided to go with the 400t. I got it 2 days ago and have gone on several caches with it already and I find it to be awesome.

The price was a big issue for me but after using the 400t I must say I'm happy with my decision.

Edited by maynerd_mjk

Geoff, being able to load the maps and anything I draw, like where private land starts does make me lean to the PN-20. So why does everyone agree that the Colorado is better for geocaching? Is it the paperless feature or Accuracy? Electronic Compass? Altimeter???

Also how do the maps on the Colorado compare and can you download USGS quads onto it?

Edited by behemoth350

The paperless feature makes it better for caching. The Colorado has a bigger, higher resolution screen.

The only other downside of the Delorme is that there are only maps for the USA. For Garmin you can get maps for anywhere. And I don't think the Delorme auto-routes, does it?

Edited by Red90

The paperless feature makes it better for caching. The Colorado has a bigger, higher resolution screen.

The only other downside of the Delorme is that there are only maps for the USA. For Garmin you can get maps for anywhere. And I don't think the Delorme auto-routes, does it?

When you say auto route are you talking about when driving in a car? If so, then yes it does according to the sales guy I called when I asked about this feature.

When you say auto route are you talking about when driving in a car? If so, then yes it does according to the sales guy I called when I asked about this feature.

OK, you are right. It does seem to do that at least with the Highway maps. I can't quite decipher their spec page... http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtd...p;section=10106

I have been debating the PN-20 vs. the 400T, as near as I can tell w/ the proper software the PN-20

can use a map drawn on a bar coaster w/ a lipstick 'IF' you could geo-reference it. DeLorme's screen is

quite bright no matter the lighting, too bad it is so small! So far I'm listing towards the 400T, time will tell.

We should be approaching a 'new hardware window' for DeLorme, but understandably, they're quiet about

such issues. Turning away from the "old eyes" issues, I applaud Garmin for recognizing a world outside of

Windows, and look forward to seeing if DeLorme will follow suit in some manner.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

I have the PN 20 and have used it both for hiking and for geocaching. With the latest firmware update, this expands the comment section to 800 characters. This gives most of the cache information and you can edit the comment fields within the Topo 7 software so that you can get rid of the info you don't need and keep that which will be helpful. You have the Topo software that comes standard. Within the topo software is a completely routable database of roads. You also have the ability to download additional mapping software images into the topo program or you can purchase an additional program (Xmap) that will allow you to download images from the internet and georeference them, cut the maps, and download them to the PN20 (aeria color images, etc.). And right now there is a spring sale where you can get the PN20 and software for 299.99 I believe.

I never thought about the US map only issue. While I don't think I'll be going to Canada in the foreseeable future, I am planning on hunting in Old Mexico.

The Delorme Topo7 coverage is indeed only US. The quality of those maps is about the best you can get on GPS; the USGS quads that Delorme sells for half-price to PN-20 owners (state-by-state packages) provides a some detail that T7 misses.

The basemap is international, but the level of detail is (cough) limited. Like bpcooper said, you *can* add to that if you buy Delorme's XMap product (Delorme has been making XMap Pro available to PN-20 owners for $99 of late). This program is capable of importing map imagery from internet, scanned images, or other sources, going through a two-point registration process, and then doing an export to the PN-20. More money, time and effort needed, but I suppose the same thing could be said about needing to buy off-the-shelf international map software (less effort for the latter, probably).

So the Mexico thing is something to take into account. But if mapping detail is important to you, the PN-20 is worth a spin around the block. If you don't like it, you have a 30 day trial period to return it.

Edited by embra

My mind is made up. It looks like for what I spend most of my time doing the PN-20 will work great. Plus, if I don't like it I can just send it back. I think the PN-20 with Topo 7.0 and the USGS quads will be a great combo. Order is in, and the product is on the way.

Thanks for all the great feedback and advice :ph34r: I'll post my thoughts on it after I get to go out and use it.

Have fun with it and stop on over at the DeLorme boards if you have any questions.

Roger that. Was just down in the Colorado desert (not in Colorado, in So Cal) geocaching with my PN-20 with the USGS Topo quads of that area loaded and it is a great combination for back country work. The satellite and aerial image of that area are also great to play with.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa