Air Travel... Will the TSA hate my GPS?

GeoCachewells

The TSA won't care at all. It's just another electronic device like a PDA, laptop, gameboy, digital camera, etc. Different airlines have different policies for usage onboard once the flight is above 10,000. Check the inflight magazine in the seatback pocket, or even better ask one of the flight crew (not the attendents-the guys in control up front) if it's OK. I almost always turn mine on so I can see what we are flying over. I still show 680 mph as my top speed on the trip computer page. We caught a nice tailwind on the way to Italy a few years back and arrived over an hour early. :lol:

I would never ever place anything of value in checked baggage, especially electronics or jewelry. I've flown at least 100 times since 9/11 and the only item I was ever double checked on was a divot repair tool for golf. :lol:

Edited by wimseyguy

My suggestion is play it safe and check it. You would hate to check your luggage, get to the gate, and have it confiscated. It is unlikly, but why risk it.

Scare FOrce One

Not me...they won't confiscate it and I'd hate to think of some baggage handler helping himself to my GPSr...or the airline sending my bag to a new location without me. Too much risk of loss for me to check anything valuable.

I fly at Xmas time with computer, GPSr Palm, and phone with chargers and accessories for each- all in my carry on. no problems. Check the magazine for use on plane. I flew Southwest this Christmas. Before 1/1/08- couldn't use it. On return on 1/3/08- I could use it. You need a window set.

In canada, GPS devices are permitted as carry-on or in checked luggage. I took the GPS in my laptop bag a few weeks ago.

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/english/trave...yage/list.shtml (about 1/2 way down under electronics).

I believe the US would be similar, but I don't know where the US equivalent list is.

I had no problem with taking my GPSr on US Air in my carry on about a year ago.

Question though: I turned mine on once well into flight but it did not want to find any signal! What's up with that?

In canada, GPS devices are permitted as carry-on or in checked luggage. I took the GPS in my laptop bag a few weeks ago.

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/english/trave...yage/list.shtml (about 1/2 way down under electronics).

I believe the US would be similar, but I don't know where the US equivalent list is.

I had no problem with taking my GPSr on US Air in my carry on about a year ago.

Question though: I turned mine on once well into flight but it did not want to find any signal! What's up with that?

Well you are traveling several hundred miles per hour. That might have had something to do with it. I find it takes longer to get a lock when moving than when standing still.

as long as you know your air carrier allows the use of the gps'r, I'd go ahead and use it without even asking when you are allowed to use electronics, but be prepared to turn it off if challenged. The first two time I flew Skywest and United, I attempted to ask permission and was denied out of ignorance of the flight crew. Most recently, I've flown, Northwest, united, midwest express. and had no problem with the flight crews.