24K Natl Parks route question

A cool feature to the US TOPO 24K Nat'l Park map series is that the dashed hiking trails on the maps can be used in routes just like streets/roads/highways can be used on City Navigator. However, this seems to be true only when viewed on my PC, not on my Garmin 60csx. For example, I can create and save a hiking route when I am in my MapSource program on my computer and the route follows the hiking trail (dashed line) as it wiggles its way across the topography. However, when I transfer the save route to my Garmin and bring it up on the device, the highlighted route goes in a straight line between my waypoints, not following the dashed trail on the map? I have set my device to only view the Natl'l Parks maps in my unit and it shows all the same detailed topography (including the dashed hiking trail) as the software on my PC. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong, or is this a limitation of the software/Garmin?

Thanks,

Marshall

A cool feature to the US TOPO 24K Nat'l Park map series is that the dashed hiking trails on the maps can be used in routes just like streets/roads/highways can be used on City Navigator. However, this seems to be true only when viewed on my PC, not on my Garmin 60csx. For example, I can create and save a hiking route when I am in my MapSource program on my computer and the route follows the hiking trail (dashed line) as it wiggles its way across the topography. However, when I transfer the save route to my Garmin and bring it up on the device, the highlighted route goes in a straight line between my waypoints, not following the dashed trail on the map? I have set my device to only view the Natl'l Parks maps in my unit and it shows all the same detailed topography (including the dashed hiking trail) as the software on my PC. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong, or is this a limitation of the software/Garmin?

Thanks,

Marshall

I don't have that software but I think it's supposed to work on your 60CSx. A couple things to check--did you check the box that says "include routing info" (or something like that) when you downloaded the maps to your unit? Also, check your routing setup and make sure you're in "Pedestrian" mode, not Car/Motorcycle. It's likely those trails are marked as restricted for anything but pedestrian.

Thanks,

Marshall

I don't have that software but I think it's supposed to work on your 60CSx. A couple things to check--did you check the box that says "include routing info" (or something like that) when you downloaded the maps to your unit? Also, check your routing setup and make sure you're in "Pedestrian" mode, not Car/Motorcycle. It's likely those trails are marked as restricted for anything but pedestrian.

Also, I think you have to tell it you are doing an autorouting route, not "off-road". IIRC Off-Road means straight linre routes to the 60CSx

I have experienced the same problem. The routes you assemble in mapsource just don't seem to translate well to the device - they end up as straight lines. Sometimes, you can get the routing to work if you build the route using your device, but you need to use a lot of intermediate points in the route to stay with the trail.

Even if you can get the routing to work, it is pretty worthless. I've found, at least in Rocky Mountain National Park, that the trails in U.S. Topo 24k are really inaccurate. When I've tried to hike with routing in the past, my location is so far off the "trail" that the device is constantly recalculating.

If you really want to use the routing in 24k, you'll probably just have to abandon the actual trails and follow Garmin's "trail." You probably won't even sniff the real trail for much of the hike.

Other than the trails, 24k is a really nice mapset, and it's not a locked mapset so you can transfer to multiple devices (yeah Garmin!)

Maybe the trails are more accurate in other parks, you'll have to let me know. Where are you hiking?

I have experienced the same problem. The routes you assemble in mapsource just don't seem to translate well to the device - they end up as straight lines. Sometimes, you can get the routing to work if you build the route using your device, but you need to use a lot of intermediate points in the route to stay with the trail.

Even if you can get the routing to work, it is pretty worthless. I've found, at least in Rocky Mountain National Park, that the trails in U.S. Topo 24k are really inaccurate. When I've tried to hike with routing in the past, my location is so far off the "trail" that the device is constantly recalculating.

If you really want to use the routing in 24k, you'll probably just have to abandon the actual trails and follow Garmin's "trail." You probably won't even sniff the real trail for much of the hike.

Other than the trails, 24k is a really nice mapset, and it's not a locked mapset so you can transfer to multiple devices (yeah Garmin!)

Maybe the trails are more accurate in other parks, you'll have to let me know. Where are you hiking?

I understand the question and your reply, but not the why.

Why would I want to use a route on a trail? Typically theirs only one trail in a valley or ridge, hence no confusion as to which trail. Besides, wouldn't one have to have to keep an eye on the GPS and not the NP.

For me, my GPS is attached to the pack shoulder strap recording my track, out of sight, out of mind. I don't want it intruding on my commune with nature. However, if I get "lost" its there to bail me out. At the end of the trip, it'll have some interesting odometer data. I'm happy at that.

So why route?

Why would I want to use a route on a trail?

It's not about directions. Routing allows you to measure exact distance along the trail to your destination (and if the device is smart enough, you can even get a good ETA). Otherwise, the device simply gives you distance as the crow flies.

I agree that when hiking it most important to observe the nature around you, but I'd like to be able to check my device occasionaly for elevation and distance to my next stop. In the same manner, routing in mapsource is useful for planning hikes.

Hiking with GPS is the perfect fusion of nerd and naturalist.

It's not about directions. Routing allows you to measure exact distance along the trail to your destination (and if the device is smart enough, you can even get a good ETA). Otherwise, the device simply gives you distance as the crow flies.
Routing is not needed for that, at least in my experience. From my current position, I need only to move the cursor to any point/object to get the distance and bearing. If I had a route on, perhaps that distance and bearing would be always displayed? Not sure, still a GPS rookie.

Hiking with GPS is the perfect fusion of nerd and naturalist.
:lol:

I do admit going from paper maps and an altimeter watch to a mapping GPS has been a transformation for me. 24K maps of all of Colorado sure made a believer of me.

Thanks

Thanks,

Marshall

Rather than trying to navigate a transferred route, try navigating to a transferred waypoint. That should do it. It has worked for me anyway.

Routing is not needed for that, at least in my experience. From my current position, I need only to move the cursor to any point/object to get the distance and bearing. If I had a route on, perhaps that distance and bearing would be always displayed? Not sure, still a GPS rookie.

Moving your cursor gives you distance as the crow flies. I guess that'll be close to accurate if you're hiking a fairly straight trail, but it's not your true distance. Routing a trail, just like routing a road, provides you with your true travel distance.

Moving your cursor gives you distance as the crow flies. I guess that'll be close to accurate if you're hiking a fairly straight trail, but it's not your true distance. Routing a trail, just like routing a road, provides you with your true travel distance.

A subtle but important difference! Learn more every day. :)

However, since you mentioned RMNP, you well know that distance is meaningless and elevation is everything. Bet routing doesn't tell you that?

Thanks

However, since you mentioned RMNP, you well know that distance is meaningless and elevation is everything. Bet routing doesn't tell you that?

Good point. You can use the route to form an elevation profile, but I think you are correct that distance is not adjusted for grade of the trail. However, I don't think a moderate grade (for most hiking) will extend the true trail distance too much. Maybe a few percent? At least the routing is much more accurate than taking distance as the crow flies.

Hmm, I just acquired a vista hcx 10 days ago. notice the same mapsource planned 24k route download becomes straight line :ph34r: .

The issue does not present to my Garmin 2610 and Garmin quest.

Autorouting with 24k map on the vista hcx device works fine. But I prefer to plan all my routes @ home with mapsource.

To clear the confusion as shown in a previous post, 24k does not distinguish road and trails (not same as track), both are treated as road and can be used for autorouting.

Edited by dualcore

Hmm, I just acquired a vista hcx 10 days ago. notice the same mapsource planned 24k route download becomes straight line :lol: .

The issue does not present to my Garmin 2610 and Garmin quest.

Autorouting with 24k map on the vista hcx device works fine. But I prefer to plan all my routes @ home with mapsource.

To clear the confusion as shown in a previous post, 24k does not distinguish road and trails (not same as track), both are treated as road and can be used for autorouting.

I just tried routing with Topo 24K National Park using roads and unpaved roads. The first time I just created the route in MapSource but when I transferred it over to my Garmin it had a straight line from start to end.

The second time I created waypoints along the route every time the road curved. Then I deleted the route and created a new one: I right-clicked on the waypoint, selected the waypoint name, and then chose add to route. When I transferred the route to my Garmin it followed the roads correctly.

Is this the way to do it? Is there an easier way?