What's the big deal with a FTF

i've been geocaching for a couple of months now and have started to notice some people are taking this fun hobby or Sport a little to seriously,

I understand some people like to be the FTF, (well done them) it's the competitiveness in them. (oh nothing wrong with that)

My hat goes off to all those First To Finders that get up early in the morning and watch the web for new caches

but why do people feel the need to B***h (lady dog) about it, or make stupid comments, about other cachers, it's a little hard to see if it's a joke or they are serious about it,

i know this thread will have no out come, but if your a FTFer and are beaten to it, if you feel the need to write a comment on the cache log, just stop and think about it you’re a grown up for goodness sake, it doesn't take to much effort to say "well done mate, you beat me this time" and add a smiley face :laughing: , so that we all know its a joke.

Anyway, enough of my ranting, Happy Caching

Oh and remember “DON’T JUST WATCH SPORT, DO IT

i've been geocaching for a couple of months now and have started to notice some people are taking this fun hobby or Sport a little to seriously,

Too Seriously? How very dare you?! :laughing:<_<<_<

This is Geocaching and should be taken seriously.

Next you'll be saying that it's not about the numbers! <_<

I don't see the fun in rooting around in the dark just to find a little plastic box, especially when people have taken the time and trouble to place a cache that has some fine views or is a historically intresting place. :)

But everyone is entitled to play how they see fit and if thats what floats your boat! B)

And there are ways to get around your cache being found by ftf'ers probably not in the true spirit of the game but it is an option. :)

I don't see the fun in rooting around in the dark just to find a little plastic box, especially when people have taken the time and trouble to place a cache that has some fine views or is a historically intresting place. :)

But everyone is entitled to play how they see fit and if thats what floats your boat! B)

And there are ways to get around your cache being found by ftf'ers probably not in the true spirit of the game but it is an option. :)

We don't do many FTFs (and we've done a few quite by accident). But when we do go out to consciously score a FTF, the fun comes from knowing that you're in competition with some of the best cachers on your area, and the usual feeling of accomplishment in actually finding the tupperware, is augmented by the feeliong that you've taken on the best and beaten them!

For example ...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...d0-26d998a21fb2

Does being Ftf make you one of the best? I can see your point about it being more enjoyable when you do find one ahead of a ftf'er though.

I just think it's a shame that they might not get to see the cache area in its best light.

As the placer would have taken time and some thought picking a place for a cache and would hope that people would enjoy the view and or historical aspect of it as much as they do.

But as I said if thats how they want to play the game thats up to them. :)

Does being Ftf make you one of the best? I can see your point about it being more enjoyable when you do find one ahead of a ftf'er though.

I just think it's a shame that they might not get to see the cache area in its best light.

As the placer would have taken time and some thought picking a place for a cache and would hope that people would enjoy the view and or historical aspect of it as much as they do.

But as I said if thats how they want to play the game thats up to them. :)

For some caches the middle of the night is the best experience of it.

While I can see your point, night time caching is different from daytime caching (not better or worse, just different), while you may not get to see the view in the same way as you would in the day, it can still be quite spectacular.

The other thing with caching at night is you get to see wildlife that you just would not see in the daytime.

never could see the excitment of a ftf.dosnt bother me if im first second or hundreth.i was at one event and i thought this guy was going to have an heart attack beacause he thought i had beaten him to a ftf he practically snatched it off me.the funny thing was it had already been found.

...it doesn't take to much effort to say "well done mate, you beat me this time" and add a smiley face :) , so that we all know its a joke.

I agree. But some people are maybe not so clued up on 'netiquette' and may just write their thoughts without smileys etc. Sometimes though, without all the body language and a twinkle in someone's eye, the written word can appear to be more terse than was actually intended.

Great story, drsolly.

Had a few FTF iI've just stumbled on, a few I went after directly. For me to get one over a couple of the FTF hounds around here does give a feeling of accomplishment. Funniest, I got caught by one of those fellows at a new cache. He came on official and I got the deer in headlights look.

Funny one of the most memorable caches I've ever done, was one I went after with my Daughter at 22:30 in the dark. The walk to the cache involved a lung busting climb up a hill :lol: . But the most memorable part was my daughter jumping into the air when a sweep of her torch revealed what looked like hundreds of little lights suddenly appearing :lol: . We were at the back of a local zoo on the fence line, the light was reflecting of the eyes of the animals who had quietly wandered over to see what idiots were out in the dark at that time of night ;) . Absolutely priceless, and a experience we would never had if we had not been after a FTF [we were third to find] .

I've been back up that hill a few times to walk the dogs, oh and for a major find for one caching team :D [knowing full well one of them had a major fear of heights :lol: , and yes they found the cache and I did get forgiven in the end :lol: ]

Oh lord...

There I go saying I won't get excited about an FTF, and yet I've just seen a cache published, driven there, walked the 0.3 ish to it, driven back... all within 25 mins.....

Me? addicted? Nah!!!! (ha ha ha!!!)

The FTF program alerted me to a cache as I was submitting a couple of caches and my 11 year old daughter said come on Dad lets go ..........there and back 20 mins ......cache logged at 21.20 tonight .....and it has nothing to do with the numbers ;)

I'm not into first to finds, only have one and that was on one of Toysoldiers ;) , but can see why some would get a 'buzz' from it.

Again I'm not really in to drive by's, but there good for a quick fix.

The caches I appreciate more are the hard to get to ones, the ones that you need to dedicate a little time to. Say up a hard hill walk or in today's case crawled on hands and knees to.

We're all different and the sport I'm finding is diverse enough to accommodate most of us :D

The Mad MG's

5 days ago I found my 1st first to find. Yes it was nice to get one in the bag after 3 years of caching but no big deal. Just happened to be in the right place in the right time. I dont believe in computer hogging waiting for them to appear then rushing off to bag them. It was just nice to get one in the bag.

FBC

I have a few to my name. I don't make a huge effort to get them, if they come up and they are close enough for me not to have to go to too much trouble then i give it a shot. other than adding a bit of competition to this casual hobby of mine i just cache when time allows and family are going out.

But it is nice to get them.