Cache vs. Play Anywhere

FoxFireX

So I'm working on my first cartridge, and the way it's shaping up, I could use the same idea for both a cache (which is my plan) and for a Play Anywhere setup (which gives far more people the chance to try it). So, simple question, do you guys think it'd be better to do a single cartridge which can be played (and completed) either way, or do two distinct cartridges so that the Play Anywhere one shows up as such?

I personally would make two listings, since one would be linked to the cache. That way the logs and completions would also be separate. That might make it easier for you to see who is completing which version more. It would also make for a slightly simpler cartridge for each if they are not the same.

Kevan

If you did them one and the same, you could require those that complete it for the cache to start at a certain location. That's assuming your cartridge will have people coming to the same spot every time if their starting location does not differ. If that's difficult to guarantee, it might be more conscientious to your players to split the cartridge in two. If you do so, you may find you'll have an easier time maintaining the code.

My first thought was to do it as one just so that if any fixes were needed, everyone could get it. Also would prevent folks who could go for the cache feeling like they needed to repeat the process if they wanted to complete both versions.

My initial plan was to do the emulator detection, and if you're in the emulator, you automatically get Play Anywhere mode. Otherwise, if you're within (X) feet/degrees/whatever of the proper starting coordinates, it assumes you want to go for the Cache version. If you're outside that range, you're prompted as to which one you want. The only difference would be that for the PA, the zones would be shifted and reshaped to be nearby (obviously), and after completing the tasks, you would get only the completion info, but not the cache location.

I'm still kind of torn; two releases means that you can download exactly the experience you want, but one release means that no one has to possibly get confused about which one they should download. I'd feel bad if someone accidentally got the PA version, then headed out to the cache's starting point, only to get nothing. Guess I'll need to mull it over more, but more importantly, I'd better finish the actual mechanics of the cart first. :laughing:

Well, I'm finally publishing it. For now, I'm going with the single cartridge, dual-mode approach just so I don't have to keep updates in two files. The biggest problem for this is that I can't have it show up in both the Play Anywhere and Nearby Cartridges listings. Because of that problem, I may end up splitting them just so that people will find the silly thing; I know I probably wouldn't think to look at non-PA cartridges and expect to find ones that could be PA. It'd be nice if you could flag a cartridge as both being Play Anywhere, and also having a recommended starting position for local play. Just a thought.

I'm actually doing the same thing. At the beginning, the player is asked if they would like to do the cache or the playanywhere. If they do the cache, then the pre-defined zones are used. if not, then the current position of the player is the Northwest corner of the playing field.

I don't think there will be any confusion that way. The program knows to do 1 or 2 things differently based on the initial question. Good luck with the cart. Mine is half ready and has been so for over a month...just too busy to work on it lately.