GPS Signal loss

I washed my JGC last week and used some of the car wax they had. My GPS afterwards won't pick up enough signal inside to work. It used to work fine in there, been caching for over a year in that vehicle with no issues until the wax at the carwash.

Has anybody ever had that happen to them? I've tried to wash it off but can't seem to get it off. My guess is it's the wax, the signal levels are the same in my truck and also out in the open.

It's an eTrex Vista Cx. Even my other GPS won't work well in there now.

I normally lay it flat on the dash above the radio's. Like I said, it used to work fine there, in fact it would work setting on my leg. It's completely not usable inside now.

It hasn't changed a bit in my truck though, or outside. It's also a CSx version, I had a typo there.

Well, it worked the day before the wash, and later on after the Wash it didn't work inside. I mean, the only thing that happened was I washed the car. I will have to read the sign there, but it gave you the impression the car wax was better than others. Normally you think, yeah, right. But this is the first time I've used that place and this is the first time I've been in a car with this gps and it didn't work when it used to work.

I've tried it today in a van at work and it worked there as well. It works every where but my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and it used to work there. My other GPS that doesn't work well in it now is the QSTARZ bluetooth GPS. It uses one of the newer chipsets that is more sensitive, but it shows low signal strength in the Jeep as well. But it does work a bit, sometimes it loses lock or is very slow to acquire.

If it's not the car wash, then what else might affect multiple GPS's in this one vehicle?

I am guessing the Radios are at fault, if you got a Sat Radio, that may interfer with the GPS, also I am wondering if the wax changed the signal quality of the radio antennas ??

The only way around the problems of GPS reception in a car, is to have a GPS connected to an external antenna on the car's roof. There are re-radiating antennas that can work with an eTrex.

I would recommend doing a test near the side window. See what signal you get with the window up, then roll it down and see if after a few minutes you get more satellites on that side. If so, then it's definitely something on the window causing deflection of signal.

I've done that, if there is clear shy I can get signal and if I roll the window up it's like shutting off the receiver, they drop off right now.

No sat radio's or anything like that in the car. Just a stereo and nothing more.

Is there a fast way to strip wax off without damaging the paint? I've washed it a couple times but can't tell.

I would not recommend any of those wax stripping chemicals that they sell for floors (wanted to stop that right off the bat, ha ha!) It's just the windows, so I'd first try window cleaner and if that didn't work, well, perhaps water/vinegar mixture. Of course, try not to get that on the paint but even on the window it's gonna stink if you don't rinse it off. I just hate the smell of vinegar!

Hope this helps!

Karl

Well, it worked the day before the wash, and later on after the Wash it didn't work inside. I mean, the only thing that happened was I washed the car. I will have to read the sign there, but it gave you the impression the car wax was better than others. Normally you think, yeah, right. But this is the first time I've used that place and this is the first time I've been in a car with this gps and it didn't work when it used to work.

I've tried it today in a van at work and it worked there as well. It works every where but my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and it used to work there. My other GPS that doesn't work well in it now is the QSTARZ bluetooth GPS. It uses one of the newer chipsets that is more sensitive, but it shows low signal strength in the Jeep as well. But it does work a bit, sometimes it loses lock or is very slow to acquire.

If it's not the car wash, then what else might affect multiple GPS's in this one vehicle?

Then bring your other car to the carwash and wax it... see if it also loses signal afterward.

I've done that, if there is clear shy I can get signal and if I roll the window up it's like shutting off the receiver, they drop off right now.

No sat radio's or anything like that in the car. Just a stereo and nothing more.

Is there a fast way to strip wax off without damaging the paint? I've washed it a couple times but can't tell.

Dawn, or any high phosphate dish soap. Griot's Garage may have something pricey, like this :

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+ca...e+paint+prep.do

You know the drill if link is broken.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

Castrol Super Clean available at Walmart will strip the wax off without hurting the paint. A gallon is around $6.00. I use it all the time for cleaning a cruiser (boat). It is one of the few things that will clean spider droppings off fairly easily. Just be sure you don't let it dry before rinsing it off. It is so concentrated that I always dilute it 50:50 with water and use a spray bottle to dispense it. I would definitely dilute it 50:50 for using on a car.