Who's Watching My Bugs?

Team WisconZens

I have thought many times that it would be nice to be able to see the other people watching TB's and caches that you have. Why can people watch these and the owner not be allowed to see who is watching?

Because there a few folks who want to accuse the watchers of being thieves when something goes missing. It's to protect them from otherwise erroneously sent hate mail as there are more surreptitious ways of monitoring cache contents without being an obvious watcher.

Treat it as a badge of honor if you have folks watching your TB or your cache. It displays a positive interest in your cache and you.

I have thought many times that it would be nice to be able to see the other people watching TB's and caches that you have. Why can people watch these and the owner not be allowed to see who is watching?

Because there a few folks who want to accuse the watchers of being thieves when something goes missing. It's to protect them from otherwise erroneously sent hate mail as there are more surreptitious ways of monitoring cache contents without being an obvious watcher.

Treat it as a badge of honor if you have folks watching your TB or your cache. It displays a positive interest in your cache and you.

ayep.

I watch many of the bugs and coins I discover or grab/move. I am just curious about where they go after I have seen them.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this.

Same here... when we find one, we check the history and then we usually follow them for a little while afterwards. So far we haven't put a formal watch on one, but might do so if I continued following one's progress for a while.

I watch many of the bugs and coins I discover or grab/move. I am just curious about where they go after I have seen them.

Same here... when we find one, we check the history and then we usually follow them for a little while afterwards. So far we haven't put a formal watch on one, but might do so if I continued following one's progress for a while.

Here too. Especially if I had one where I took some nice pictures, or visited a goal item with it. Also, if I give the TB a nice move to another region. I'm sure from what TPTB have said in the past "who's watching my TB" is never going to happen. And rightly so; none of anyone's beeswax why I'm watching their TB (or cache, as that comes up a lot too). :laughing:

I also like to do this, especially for bugs or coins that I have moved a great distance. Watching a TB that I have moved is almost as good as watching one of my own. :lol:

Me too. I figure that this is a common practice. I like to see where they go after I set them on their way.

Coming back to the theory that some watchers are thieves:

I think this to be true, I released a very nice geocoin a while ago, one person watching it was a friend of mine, then the coin was stolen from the very first cache I placed it in, no other user discovered it or found it, (I contacted all the ones who found the cache), but there was one other person watching the coin...

I guess this to be proof that the thief was watching the coin...

I think this to be true, I released a very nice geocoin a while ago, one person watching it was a friend of mine, then the coin was stolen from the very first cache I placed it in, no other user discovered it or found it, (I contacted all the ones who found the cache), but there was one other person watching the coin...

Wonderful logic there, Sherlock.

I hope you never get selected as a juror. :)

Wonderful logic there, Sherlock.

I hope you never get selected as a juror. :)

When nobody saw the coin before it was stolen and nobody knew about it, then who should watch it except the thief? I did not say it´s the case everytime a bug gets stolen... I suggest you read before you write! :)

I don't know if I would assume too much just because it's being watched. It is possible that a muggle knows of that one cache and checks it periodically for treasures or maybe someone was out caching and when they found the coin they decided not to log anything at all to cover their tracks.

Other possibilities lower the percentage that was your (former?) friend.

When nobody saw the coin before it was stolen and nobody knew about it, then who should watch it except the thief? I did not say it´s the case everytime a bug gets stolen... I suggest you read before you write! :)

I stand by my post.

You made a statement that whoever was watching your coin stole it. Although the watcher may have taken the coin there is no evidence or proof whatsoever that he was the thief.

I don't know if I would assume too much just because it's being watched. It is possible that a muggle knows of that one cache and checks it periodically for treasures or maybe someone was out caching and when they found the coin they decided not to log anything at all to cover their tracks.

Other possibilities lower the percentage that was your (former?) friend.

Well the "friend" actually is family, she just caches, ´cause I needed company...

The cache was new, so there probably couldn´t have been a muggle checking the cache periodically...

I contacted all the cachers who logged the cache, none of them saw the coin, so they say...

As I see it there is no probability left it not to be the thief who was watching the coin...

As far as I am concerned, I decided not to send any rare coins out and others I started to scratch so the value to collectors is ruined

I never said the one watching the coin couldn´t be one of the cachers who found the cache and the thief in one person

I am just saying, that no one who could have seen the coin saw it or was watching it(so they say)

In conclusion the one who stole it is the only one (beside my family) who saw it and could have had an interest in watching it....

Please tell me where there is the mistake in my thinking

Edited by Tschakko

I never said the one watching the coin couldn´t be one of the cachers who found the cache and the thief in one person

I am just saying, that no one who could have seen the coin saw it or was watching it(so they say)

In conclusion the one who stole it is the only one (beside my family) who saw it and could have had an interest in watching it....

The mistake in logic is this:

Perhaps some random cacher decided to search for caches that day, and one of the caches he hunted was the one with your coin in it. This random cacher sees your nice coin and decides to keep it, and does not log the cache find or the coin.

That person does not have to be the person who is watching the coin. He or she just happened to find this particular cache after you placed the coin and before all the cachers who logged the cache.

A couple of weeks ago I had a coin that I had found in a cache, and I placed it into another cache. The next two people who logged that cache reported that the coin was not there. I felt bad that I had placed it into that cache, but there's no way to predict that a coin thief will be the next to visit a cache.

The mistake in logic is this:

Perhaps some random cacher decided to search for caches that day, and one of the caches he hunted was the one with your coin in it. This random cacher sees your nice coin and decides to keep it, and does not log the cache find or the coin.

That person does not have to be the person who is watching the coin. He or she just happened to find this particular cache after you placed the coin and before all the cachers who logged the cache.

A couple of weeks ago I had a coin that I had found in a cache, and I placed it into another cache. The next two people who logged that cache reported that the coin was not there. I felt bad that I had placed it into that cache, but there's no way to predict that a coin thief will be the next to visit a cache.

Ok, that I understand and agree, but in this particular case of my coin, who do you think was watching the coin then? I was the only one holding it in hands besides the thief...

If it was stolen from the very first cache you placed it in, why would the thief have bothered to"watch" it ? He or she didn't need to watch to know where the coin was moved to after that, because obviously they would know if they stole it. If nobody but your friend saw it before you placed it, then no one else would know to "watch" for it.

The person watching the coin could have been the cache owner, just wanting to follow coins that passed through his cache.

It could have been someone who saw it after you placed it, but is one of those people who don't "discover" coins, they only log if they actually move them, but might still want to watch to see where it goes.

Just because it was a new cache, that doesn't mean it couldn't be muggled. My first coin that moved out of state disappeared along with the entire cache, which had only been out about a week.

If it was stolen from the very first cache you placed it in, why would the thief have bothered to"watch" it ? He or she didn't need to watch to know where the coin was moved to after that, because obviously they would know if they stole it. If nobody but your friend saw it before you placed it, then no one else would know to "watch" for it.

The person watching the coin could have been the cache owner, just wanting to follow coins that passed through his cache.

It could have been someone who saw it after you placed it, but is one of those people who don't "discover" coins, they only log if they actually move them, but might still want to watch to see where it goes.

Just because it was a new cache, that doesn't mean it couldn't be muggled. My first coin that moved out of state disappeared along with the entire cache, which had only been out about a week.

The cacheowner am I...

I asked every single cacher who found the cache in the period after the coindrop, none of them even saw it...

The cache was not in a place where muggle or anyone at all are likely to be... The probability of this case is near zero...

I think a thief would be watching the coin he stole to see when the loss will be discovered and what the reaction might be (for example: I wrote a long note)

I am repeating myself all over again and again, this is getting boring...

I suggest we stop the discussion here...

Let's say there are two cachers: "Honest_Coin_Admirer" and "Sneaky_Coin_Thief". They both are always on the lookout for new coins to see, although they have very different ends in mind. One thing that they have in common is that they frequently check the "Latest Travel Bugs..." section of their local area (here's mine).

On the day that you dropped the coin, they both happened to check that page, and they both saw your new coin on the list. "Honest_Coin_Admirer" says "Ooh, what a nice coin; I'd like to see that one in person some day -- I'll put it on my watchlist." Meanwhile, "Sneaky_Coin_Thief" thinks, "Hey, I know where that cache is -- I'm going to run out there right now and snag the coin. I won't log the cache, I won't log the coin, and no one will ever be able to tell I was there. Another one for the collection!"

There is just one example of what may be wrong with your thinking.

Sometimes when I find a cache that does not have a coin that is listed, I will log a note for the coin that is it missing right. Then I also will add it to my watch list, because I am curious if it will re-appear sometime or not.

This could have happened in your case too. Someone who did not see it, might have added it to their watchlist just to see if it appears or not.