Found:Hides Ratio?

finsinc

Ratios are not a good idea. Some people can maintain a hundred or more great hides. Others can't handle one crappy cache.

I know of a couple of cachers who think they need to maintain a ratio and they end up hiding lots of crappy caches that end up wet and or missing.

340 to 19 is the correct amount. At least till I find or hide another. :anitongue:

In other words it doesn't really matter. I've seen hides that were very well done by folks with few, or least in one case, no hides. Then I've seen some really poor hides done by folks with literally 1,000's of finds. While logic would say that the more you've found, the better your hides should be just because of the experience. However there is more to hiding a good cache than just seeing many other caches.

Just wondering what people's opinions are of what an appropiate ratio of found geocaches to geocaches you hide.

Some people have the "hiding muse" and like to hide caches. Some of these people do a good job. :anitongue: Some don't. :anitongue: Other people don't possess the "hiding muse" and should not feel pressured to hide a cache. Then there are people who travel frequently, or for some other reason know they would not be able to properly maintain a cache.

There should not be a recommended "Find to Hide Ratio."

I hide exactly the number I think I can maintain and not one more over that.

I had one cache that sucked 2 ammo boxes a tupperware container, and $100 worth of goodies (not to mention another kind cacher's contributions) before I gave up on it and archived it. It also didn't help that I had to CITO what became somebody's toilet when there was one just a mere 100 or so feet away with all the niceties one could expect for the usage. :laughing:

I hide exactly the number I think I can maintain and not one more over that.
That is the right number. :laughing:

A better question would be: How many of your caches should be messed up at once? If that number is too big then you are not doing anyone any favors by keeping some ratio that you can't maintain.

Edited by TrailGators

My favorite: Pi are not squared, pie are round. Cake are squared.

Makes as much sense as a find/hide ratio.

But the cakes I usually enjoy are round, and I prefer pie, round or squared. And my find to find ratio is almost 1. Find to hide ratio is somewhat different.

Just wondering what people's opinions are of what an appropiate ratio of found geocaches to geocaches you hide.

Whatever you feel is good for you is a good ratio. Some like to hide, some like to find and some like to do both. If you've found 10,000 caches, don't feel obligated to hide one if it isn't your thing.

hey Jester, you might want to quote that before someone else does!!!

ive hidden 10, found 55. good ratio there! B):):)

But how many pies have you eaten? That's what really matters! :mellow:

dont like pie! cookies are better!

But cookies aren't as much fun to toss.

I refuse to hide a cache unless it is going to be what I think is a good one. One with an interesting location and a for sure hunt. Doesn't have to be a long hunt but ya got to look around to find it. So far I have found over 100 and only hidden 5. I am picky about the ones I try to find and really want the hiking part to be of quality.

51 to 3. (Common factors removed. I don't count the one I adopted.)

I've found some caches from a hider who tries to maintain a 10:1 ratio. Some are great, old caches. Others have the look and feel of "I found ten so I need to hide one".

Also, there are areas where not enough people are finding caches to justify new hides. Early in the game, new hides were almost always a Good Thing, assuming they were Good Hides. But if an area has several caches and they are getting found a couple of times a year, maybe there are too many caches there.

Remember the global find:hide ratio. If the number of finds is constant, then more caches means fewer finds per cache. So if you hide a bunch of caches and don't get many finds, consider whether the number of caches is excessive for the activity in your area.

Of course, this assumes that finding is independent of hiding. Early in the game, one obviously needed more hides to provide interest to draw people to the game. This is still true in many areas. But in other areas, there's strong evidence that finding activity is not increasing due to more hides -- on the contrary, finding activity seems to be constant, and the result of more hides seems to be fewer finds/hide. If you see this in your area, perhaps the appropriate response is to try to bring more people into the game rather than hiding more caches. Or just accept that it's reached its limit for now.

Edward