Cache markings and first responders.

gof1

Most of my caches are marked "Geocaching Game Piece" or "Geocaching.com" or both.

We all know what geocaching means, but outside of our group who else does? More than likely the words "game piece" will do more to allay suspicion. The web address at least gives it a chance that someone can radio in and have the site checked out, however unlikely that is.

So, knowing that most first responder types have never heard of geocaching how do you mark your containers?

Official Geocache Game Piece

&

www.geoc....

&

geocache@wyoneb......

&

Please do not move or disturb

&

see website for more info

As much as I can fit anyway.

Yes, as much as possible. You think the web addys help?

Anyone ever had a cache investigated through the website?

I stencil the sides of my ammocans with 'GEOCACHE' in hi-vis orange paint, together with the website address & two blank lines, after first repainting the ammocan to a mixed flat brown/black/green camo scheme (covering all the old yellow markings & most of the olive paint). I use an indelible marker to add the cache name and my own caching name w/cell phone number. Smaller containers - a geocaching logo decal & markered name info. My caching name & real-world name are inside the front cover of the logbooks with my cell phone contact number as well.

The four times I've had a cache removed from its hide location by non-cachers (once by highway workers on 'potty' break! who thought I'd lost the container - they all know me as I make their signs; once by a dogwalker neighbor who recognized my name on a muggled cache in a dogpark; and twice by parents of small children who came home with the 'treasure' they'd found...) that contact info has returned the caches right to me (3 of 4 in reusable condition). I would assume if first responders 'found' my containers they'd have the same ability to locate me as cache owner.

Most areas I place caches in require contact info on the container. It seems to be the common-sense right thing to do - a little on-line sleuthing would lead to me anyhow, so there's nothing lost in being upfront about ownership.

I stencil the sides of my ammocans with 'GEOCACHE' in hi-vis orange paint, together with the website address & two blank lines, after first repainting the ammocan to a mixed flat brown/black/green camo scheme (covering all the old yellow markings & most of the olive paint). I use an indelible marker to add the cache name and my own caching name w/cell phone number. Smaller containers - a geocaching logo decal & markered name info. My caching name & real-world name are inside the front cover of the logbooks with my cell phone contact number as well.

The four times I've had a cache removed from its hide location by non-cachers (once by highway workers on 'potty' break! who thought I'd lost the container - they all know me as I make their signs; once by a dogwalker neighbor who recognized my name on a muggled cache in a dogpark; and twice by parents of small children who came home with the 'treasure' they'd found...) that contact info has returned the caches right to me (3 of 4 in reusable condition). I would assume if first responders 'found' my containers they'd have the same ability to locate me as cache owner.

Most areas I place caches in require contact info on the container. It seems to be the common-sense right thing to do - a little on-line sleuthing would lead to me anyhow, so there's nothing lost in being upfront about ownership.

Nice. About as much as you can do short of only hiding a cache in your own kitchen.

You think the hi-vis paint is necessary? I use the same flat colors as I paint the can with, being sure that the pattern doesn't obscure the lettering.

Paint them green or camo and stencil them with cache. Assuming I can find my stencil. The one that was reported was an olive drab ammo can with a geocache stencil on it. Since it was reported as a drug stash they were not looking for the other more common item that caches are mistaken for. They opened it up read the log and when I called to find if I can do anything to help they said "no drugs all is good, enjoy".

Edited by Renegade Knight

Paint them green or camo and stencil them with cache. Assuming I can find my stencil. The one that was reported was an olive drab ammo can with a geocache stencil on it. Since it was reported as a drug stash they were not looking for the other more common item that caches are mistaken for. They opened it up read the log and when I called to find if I can do anything to help they said "no drugs all is good, enjoy".

In another thread you mention that the one found was 5 mile out. Think that was why it was reported as a drug stash instead of a bomb? The "Lack of a viable target" theory?

...In another thread you mention that the one found was 5 mile out. Think that was why it was reported as a drug stash instead of a bomb? The "Lack of a viable target" theory?

Maybe. I think a lot has to do with what the person calling it in has to say. People who make bombs practice in remote areas. No area is safe.

Night Stalker had an urban hide reported. Same response. Drug Stash. The narcotics offers left their card and said essentially the same thing. "Cool game, enjoy".

That's what I meant. The person reported it as a drug stash thinking who'd bomb a tree by a pond five miles from anything. Or perhaps they saw a pot smoking cache sign the log? :laughing:

If one of my caches has an "incident" I hope it happens something like that.

Actually yes. Regardless of the information they were given they were intent on saying something illegal was associated with it as well. First said they thought it was a bomb, TOOK it INSIDE their office. Then they said it had evidence of drug activity. Not too bright.

We mark all of our containers. The hides are a different issue. We like to use what is there for blending. It's a shade bit more than bushes and rocks too.

Edited by Sileny Jizda

For me, it really depends on where I'm hiding. If it's in town, it's first and formost clear, or nearly clear (preform or lock n lock). Then, I use the green sticker, with cache name, GC#, and my name (contact info inside).

If it's not in town, I camo the container, leaving a spot somewhere where I can use one of the camo colors on the template (Sissy n CR's). I always make sure any previous markings are covered/sanded/removed.

It's tough enough on first responders without poorly thought out containers. I think I will start adding contact information to the outside (or at least visible from the outside) of my cache containers. Makes good sense.

Actually yes. Regardless of the information they were given they were intent on saying something illegal was associated with it as well. First said they thought it was a bomb, TOOK it INSIDE their office. Then they said it had evidence of drug activity. Not too bright.

We mark all of our containers. The hides are a different issue. We like to use what is there for blending. It's a shade bit more than bushes and rocks too.

What happen? Your cache get busted by the Keystone Cops?

Not one of ours but one in our area and one of the first that we found. Despite the container being chock full of wooden nickels from the place itself and having properly identifying notes they still tried to slap the cuffs on it. The correspondence with them on the cache page and through email was less than professional as well.

GC6B1B

Not one of ours but one in our area and one of the first that we found. Despite the container being chock full of wooden nickels from the place itself and having properly identifying notes they still tried to slap the cuffs on it. The correspondence with them on the cache page and through email was less than professional as well.

GC6B1B

Wow, It was even listed on their own site. I take it the security people logged on the page and then deleted it after the fact? Gotta cover you errors I guess.

If I put any marking on the outside it will either be a Sticker from Groundspeak, or a copy of my abreviated stashnote right on the outside(or taped inside, facing out). I usually use clear containers to make the contents visible.

I guess that clear is the way it's headed in a lot of places, like state parks. To bad as ammo cans are so durable. But it is better than no cache.

If I put any marking on the outside it will either be a Sticker from Groundspeak, or a copy of my abreviated stashnote right on the outside(or taped inside, facing out). I usually use clear containers to make the contents visible.

I guess that clear is the way it's headed in a lot of places, like state parks. To bad as ammo cans are so durable. But it is better than no cache.

Way out somewhere I'll still go for an ammo can, but around muggle traffic, I go with the clear, or something everyday that would not be suspicious. Currently I'm favoring a watertight camping/boating box with a rubber seal and full length hinge on one side, two locking clamps on the other(off brand otterbox). They were too expensive at the boating store, but they're finally available in two sizes at everyones least favorite store(on the cheap). They haven;t been through a real "time test" yet, but I've used them to replace a few damaged containers at finds I made, and they have been well reveived. I guess the container type wasn't really the topic though. I guess I'm just happy to be in a civil discussion for a change.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

No, the container type wasn't the topic. It does, however, speak to the basic premise of this thread. The idea that we need to keep these things in mind as we make decisions on what and how we hide.

I'll admit, part of why I started this thread was to get a peaceful topic started. Glad it worked to some small extent.

Keep us posted on how your knockoff Otter boxes work out.

Sileny Jizda

That is a strange tale. It almost sounds like "Officer Friendly" was enjoying his power trip a bit much. Any chance there was some connection between this guy and caching? Some reason this guy wanted to be named Richard?

EScout

That is a nice looking can. How do you get that cammo effect?

Most of my caches are marked "Geocaching Game Piece" or "Geocaching.com" or both.

We all know what geocaching means, but outside of our group who else does? More than likely the words "game piece" will do more to allay suspicion. The web address at least gives it a chance that someone can radio in and have the site checked out, however unlikely that is.

So, knowing that most first responder types have never heard of geocaching how do you mark your containers?

Before I started using the stencils I got from Sissy n CR, my ammo boxes all said "Geocache - No Danger" along with my e-mail address

Now I use their stencil though I'd like to some day make up my own and replace the word "Game piece" with "No Danger"

edf83031-10c3-4391-a24b-3d5a3883dbc0.jpg

Some smaller caches I just do this:

a150d194-ad8c-47b0-9cbe-75f248e07762.jpg