Using Hints To Find Caches

kc5nvj

I like to use the hints and spoilers to help me in my searches (only because I am still new to Geocaching). Is it recommended for newbies to use this option - and will it get easier to find these caches w/out using hints?

I've also come across some hints that say "Think 3-Deminsional" = exactly what does that mean?

What about Keebler?

Are all "Bison's" a small metal tube? ( I looked up a picture on the web )

kc5nvj

It probably depends on the person. Sometimes I will go looking for a cache without even reading the descritption let alone the hint (thank goodness for my Colorado when I can' find it). Other times I will read both before searching. It depends on my situation. On the other hand some people think it is cheating to read them first. It is really up to you.

I think Bison tubes are a larger small metal tube. however out here in South Dakota most people call small metal tubes "Capsules".

Edited by StaticTank

No after 6+ years - I still have to turn to the hints on about half my finds. I wish more people would leave some kind of hints and I hate uneccessary comments like "no hint needed".

Think 3d - probably means the cache is up off the ground and behind something.

Bison tube is by definition and small metal tube with an o-ring to seal it.

I like to use the hints and spoilers to help me in my searches (only because I am still new to Geocaching). Is it recommended for newbies to use this option - and will it get easier to find these caches w/out using hints?

I've also come across some hints that say "Think 3-Deminsional" = exactly what does that mean?

What about Keebler?

kc5nvj

Using hints is a personal preference, I normally try not to use them until I'm completely out of ideas or on a time limit. As for what hints say, it is normally in relation to the cache's location. For the 3-D hint I would look for something that sticks out. Last but not least I've seen quite a few metal bison tubes but I've also heard of plastic containers discribed as such. Below is a link to a previous topic on them.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=189841

What about Keebler?

kc5nvj

Using hints is a personal preference, I normally try not to use them until I'm completely out of ideas or on a time limit. As for what hints say, it is normally in relation to the cache's location. For the 3-D hint I would look for something that sticks out. Last but not least I've seen quite a few metal bison tubes but I've also heard of plastic containers discribed as such. Below is a link to a previous topic on them.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=189841

What about Keebler?

Seriously? Don't own a TV?

Oh, you never will believe where those Keebler Cookies come from.

They're baked by little elves in a hollow tree.

And what do you think makes those cookies uncommon?

They're baked in magic ovens and there's no factory.

So, obviously "Keebler" means the cache is definitely not hidden in a factory. :anitongue:

Edited by Prime Suspect

I use the hints to help. My 10 yr old likes to decrypt them first, so I let her have fun with that while on the way to the cache location. I will also read some of the logs if it's in an area I am unfamiliar with. I've found a few clues for parking or some other points of interest that may help lead me in the right direction without giving too much away.

I just have a little over 200 finds but I always (yes always) read the hints before I set out to find a cache.

I just got used to it when I first started and havn't changed.

I always note whether or not there is a hint before I start looking, but usually don't read it unless I'm really stumped. Unfortunately, every once in a while, you get one of those idiotic "It's too easy for a hint! HAHA!" hints, put on cache pages by people who don't realize that stopped being funny sometime back in 2001.

The most obscure hint I've ever come across was "Think Nobel" ok you're first reaction is Nobel Prize right? We'll not for this cache. Apparently someone with the last name Nobel invented dynamite and this cache was hidden in some blasted rock in a dynamite drill hole in a tube. Took us forever to get that one.

The most obscure hint I've ever come across was "Think Nobel" ok you're first reaction is Nobel Prize right? We'll not for this cache. Apparently someone with the last name Nobel invented dynamite and this cache was hidden in some blasted rock in a dynamite drill hole in a tube. Took us forever to get that one.

Nobel Prize. Dynamite. Same guy.

Nobel Prize. Dynamite. Same guy.

Ayep.

The man who invented Dynamite, (I forget his first name) didn't intend for it to be such a destructive weapon of war. He knew that it would be used for war, he was no fool. But he had hoped that the fear of its destructive power would save lives...

Well, when he realized that it didn't work that way, he realized that that would be his greatest legacy, being the inventor of that which killed countless people.

He used the wealth he earned from inventing dynamite, to reward people who had done great acts for peace...

The Nobel Peace Prize.

So, he was able to change his legacy from "being the man who invented dynamite", to a legacy of peace..

As the post above proves. :laughing: