satillites

groovygrl

I just decided to venture out today as the snow is melted. Clear blue sky. My GPS was "Searching for Satillites" for 10 mins. Then I decided to change the batteries(although I had new ones in ). Still was Searching for another 10 mins. Gave up and went home. What is wrong? I have my waypoints entered in, so I am ready(I am a new geocacher, but it worked the last time).

I just decided to venture out today as the snow is melted. Clear blue sky. My GPS was "Searching for Satillites" for 10 mins. Then I decided to change the batteries(although I had new ones in ). Still was Searching for another 10 mins. Gave up and went home. What is wrong? I have my waypoints entered in, so I am ready(I am a new geocacher, but it worked the last time).

Turn it on where it has good receptoin and walk way for half an hour. It may need to rebuild the satalite table and 'bake' (the term I think for this) so it knows both where it is in the world and can know where to look for satalites next time by using the table it's building.

When a GPS has moved a long distance from the last place it was, or they haven't been used in a long time they can get confused about their location and it takes a long time to get their bearings. Once baked a GPS will then boot fairly quickly.

Thats a WAG on your problem but what the heck.

Garmin units - particularly some of the older ones will do that if not used for a long period of time - let it sit with a clear view of the sky for upwards of an hour. Power off and back on and should work great.

yes, its a cheaper Garmin. Once I was home, I tried it an hr later, and it worked. Figures!

Thanks for your time!!!! :anitongue: