Etiquette: Should I Delete Log?

I'm the owner of a cache at a local park/baseball field. There are many false finds, labeled "strikes", and the challenge for the cacher is to find the actual cache before "striking out". Each false find is clearly labeled "Geo-Strike" and "NOT THE CACHE".

Recently there were two 'Found' log entries, both April 4th, that clearly had only found a false find. One entry even said that the cache said "Not the cache", there was no log, and "maybe park workers had replaced it".

I went out the other day for cache maintenance and the real cache is in its original position, with log and trade items, and the latest log entry is 15 March. So, I emailed both April 4th parties and tactfully (I think) suggested that they hadn't found the actual cache and requested that if they hadn't would they please change the internet log to a DNF.

One party responded, apologized, thanked me for the cache, changed their log and vowed to find the real one next time. The other party has not responded.

So, my question is, should I delete the log of the non-responding cacher? By the way, were the ones whose internet log entry said the cache said "NOT THE CACHE" on it. :o

My reason for doing so is that I like to place challenging caches, I like to keep track of the 'Find' versus 'Did Not Find' entries, and I think that those stats are a good piece of information for someone seeking a cache (currently 19 finds, 11 DNF's for this cache). On the other hand, I don't want to be a jerk.

So....opinions....delete or leave be?

Edited by alienbogey

I'm the owner of a cache at a local park/baseball field. There are many false finds, labeled "strikes", and the challenge for the cacher is to find the actual cache before "striking out". Each false find is clearly labeled "Geo-Strike" and "NOT THE CACHE".

Recently there were two 'Found' log entries, both April 4th, that clearly had only found a false find. One entry even said that the cache said "Not the cache", there was no log, and "maybe park workers had replaced it".

I went out the other day for cache maintenance and the real cache is in its original position, with log and trade items, and the latest log entry is 15 March. So, I emailed both April 4th parties and tactfully (I think) suggested that they hadn't found the actual cache and requested that if they hadn't would they please change the internet log to a DNF.

One party responded, apologized, thanked me for the cache, changed their log and vowed to find the real one next time. The other party has not responded.

So, my question is, should I delete the log of the non-responding cacher? By the way, were the ones whose internet log entry said the cache said "NOT THE CACHE" on it. :o

My reason for doing so is that I like to place challenging caches, I like to keep track of the 'Find' versus 'Did Not Find' entries, and I think that those stats are a good piece of information for someone seeking a cache (currently 19 finds, 11 DNF's for this cache). On the other hand, I don't want to be a jerk.

So....opinions....delete or leave be?

I would delete the false find. They've had six days to do it themselves, and they haven't. But also email them again after you delete, explain what you did and why (again), and invite them back to search for the real cache. :)