Stolen Geocoin

IBcrashen

Someone grabbed one of my coins and logged that they found it outside the cache, scattered with other things from the cache. Then they e-mailed me telling me that somehow GC list it as being in there possession but it was lost with the cache and contents.

Duh! How did you get the number to grab it?

Good question! Are they psychic?

You could change the coin name to "STOLEN BY JOE CACHER", where Joe Cacher is their caching name... I suspect it might mysteriously turn up in a cache real quickly after that! Good luck.

PS - do I owe you anything for the geotag's etc you sent me a while back?

Well if they're anything like most of us, they write the numbers down in their notes while caching. It seriously might be a simple mistake and I would hesitate to head down the road of accusation and hard feelings. :o

How do you grab a coin that's not in the cache as JoeCacher claimed in the email to the coin owner? If the coin was lost when the cache got "scattered" the tracking # went with it.

I support Keewee's idea of changing the name of the coin.

Yes mistakes do happen and coins get misplaced (euphamism for lost while in cacher's hands) but there is no need to lie about it and add insult to injury for the coin owner. If the coin is lost in your care you offer to pay for it or replace it with another coin; it's a courtesy to the owner and it's just plain considerate.

Edited by Droo

they found it outside the cache, scattered with other things from the cache.

it was lost with the cache and contents.

These are the two incongruent statements made by the cacher. Either it was found with the cache contents, or it was lost with the cache - in which case where did the number come from? If the facts are as stated, I would have to agree with IBCrashin - it sounds alot like a stupid criminal.

Well if they're anything like most of us, they write the numbers down in their notes while caching. It seriously might be a simple mistake and I would hesitate to head down the road of accusation and hard feelings. :anitongue:

How do you grab a coin that's not in the cache as JoeCacher claimed in the email to the coin owner? If the coin was lost when the cache got "scattered" the tracking # went with it.

I support Keewee's idea of changing the name of the coin.

Yes mistakes do happen and coins get misplaced (euphamism for lost while in cacher's hands) but there is no need to lie about it and add insult to injury for the coin owner. If the coin is lost in your care you offer to pay for it or replace it with another coin; it's a courtesy to the owner and it's just plain considerate.

I'm sorry, I only meant that they may have discovered and that later it went missing. If they logged it as found, but replaced all the swag and the coin in the cache before they left it would be plausible. I didn't realize from the note that apparently both incidents supposedly happened at the same time. That's definitely odd, but a polite inquiry still might reveal more than we know right now. :anitongue:

You know 4 am is to early to be blowing off steam. Seems they waited over 4 months to e-mail me. You know, if you honestly lost the coin fess up, I can live with that. Just this week I have been e-mailed about 4 other of my coins that are not in caches. Dont people realize you just cant push us mailman to much before we.... :anitongue:

Here is there log on the cache with a smiley:

"We found this cache, but not where it was supposed to be. We found the container half way down the hill, and the contents scattered. Since I didn't have good enough read in the canyon to know where it is supposed to be placed, I had to pack it out with me. "

Here is there log on the coin:

"retrieved it from ( cache name removed )

I grabbed this from ( cache name removed ) . The cache was scattered, but I was able to find this half way down the hill. Will move it along shortly."

Here is there e-mail to me:

"I am just sending this letter to let you know that your TB that says it is in my possession was lost along with a cache. I found the cache scattered, and informed the owner, who never came and picked it up from me. I think when I logged it I clicked on "grabbed" your tb, but the cache was destroyed, and i don't know what happened to your tb. sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but since the owner hasn't contacted me about the cache, i figured you should probably log on your account that you took that coin of bug from me"

Vented :anitongue:

You know 4 am is to early to be blowing off steam. Seems they waited over 4 months to e-mail me. You know, if you honestly lost the coin fess up, I can live with that. Just this week I have been e-mailed about 4 other of my coins that are not in caches. Dont people realize you just cant push us mailman to much before we.... :anitongue:

Here is there log on the cache with a smiley:

"We found this cache, but not where it was supposed to be. We found the container half way down the hill, and the contents scattered. Since I didn't have good enough read in the canyon to know where it is supposed to be placed, I had to pack it out with me. "

Here is there log on the coin:

"retrieved it from ( cache name removed )

I grabbed this from ( cache name removed ) . The cache was scattered, but I was able to find this half way down the hill. Will move it along shortly."

Here is there e-mail to me:

"I am just sending this letter to let you know that your TB that says it is in my possession was lost along with a cache. I found the cache scattered, and informed the owner, who never came and picked it up from me. I think when I logged it I clicked on "grabbed" your tb, but the cache was destroyed, and i don't know what happened to your tb. sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but since the owner hasn't contacted me about the cache, i figured you should probably log on your account that you took that coin of bug from me"

Vented :anitongue:

Curious! How many people are watching the coin? Change the name of the coin and if they have it watched then something might happen. First though, send them a polite email asking them to confirm what they told you in the email. When to do, politely make the point that they could not have possibly logged it successfully with out the Tracking ID off the coin. (Hopefully no one was foolish enough to have written the Tracking ID in the log book - if they were and they have the log book then it all becomes possible).

Good luck.

Edited by keewee

- it sounds alot like a stupid criminal.

My thoughts exactly.

Mine too..... I say we send out a lynching mob to get it back.......they have it but they didn't see it?..... Yeah right....... If they are near to St Louis let me know I'll get it back!!! Strong Arm style!!

All I can say is at least someone contacted you about it. I've had two of mine end up missing. The one was logged in the notebook(the owner of the cache let me know), but I have not received a response from that cacher who supposedly took it. The other, I have absolutely no idea. So I guess I mark them missing and forget about them. Maybe someone will buy them on ebay and let me know when they try to activate it.

Its a real hard one - we currently have 12 in the hands of cachers dating from 12 June 07 to 28 Feb 08 and six stranded in caches over the same time frame. Two caches appears to have been muggled

Was concerned so I set up an excel spreadsheet (we have 46 out there) and update it every time a notification comes in. Quite handy. Have emailed some, only one responded, saying they had forgot they had it and that they would place it soon. That was a while ago now.

But I suppose the odds of having so many out there . . . . .

We really do try to move coins and TB's on quickly although we have a few at the moment that we are either having trouble placing or fulfilling their missions - but they are not lost nor forgotton.