What is the big deal with geocoins?

Naked Baby

ok i am new to caching. about a month in. please do not get the title of this post wrong but i am interested in how and why are geocoins popular?

i have found a few. do people keep them? move them like travel bugs? what is it about them?

thanks

maxrebos

aka: naked baby

Hi~

Most coins are like travel bugs. You log them by their tracking number and then read their page to see if they have a specific goal. If you can help them along in their travel goal, then please do so. But don't worry if you can't. Just put them into another cache for someone else to find and move along.

The most important thing is to keep them moving. Please don't hold them for longer than 2 weeks, unless you post a note to their owner to let them know when you'll plan to drop them off.

Sometimes people (very nice people) place new, unactivated coins into caches as prizes - but typically only for the first person who finds the cache (not always). So if you have trouble logging the coin it may be that it's not been activated.

Good luck!

Edited by ThePetersTrio

The OP asked for some "Why?", so let me give you a little of that. My interest in them is on two levels: I like the designs on many of them, and I like stories that many of them tell. We have five albums in our collection. These are geocoins that we have bought, or in a few cases were given to us. We also have a couple of hundred geocoins in circulation (and a few that are lost). We also have a bunch of travel bugs, but geocoins are a little more interesting, in many ways, and they fit into caches that won't take a TB. I love to find geocoins in caches, and I do what I can to get them moving along. Geocoins are a part of the game that adds a little interest. Some folks won't pick up a geocoin or TB for any reason; I'll never understand that attitude. I think that travelers add something to the game :o

how and why are geocoins popular? ... what is it about them?

thanks

maxrebos

Here's a TOP TEN list of what makes geocoins so great:

10. When ingested properly, geocoins provide over 100% of the USDA's Recommended Daily Amount of Zinc, Copper and Riboflavin.*

9. Guaranteed for at least seven solid skips across a placid pond surface.

8. Solid investment potential. (According to Bear Stearns Co. Inc.)

7. Geocoins were nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. And they would've gotten away with it if it weren't for that meddling Al Gore.

6. Make excellent pets: Less likely to die than goldfish.

5. The distraction of collecting geocoins helps to keep Shop99er off of victoriassecret.com.

4. My browsing at victoriassecret.com is faster without Shop99er's bandwidth. Again, thanks to geocoins.

3. Provide reliable trackability without those annoying ankle monitors.

2. Chuck Norris wears Moun10Bike pyjamas.

... and the #1 reason why geocoins are so great:

1. The more you geocoins you collect, the less likely it is for your house to get lifted up by a tornado.

*Your actual Riboflavin content may vary.

Edited by YemonYime

10. When ingested properly, geocoins provide over 100% of the USDA's Recommended Daily Amount of Zinc, Copper and Riboflavin.*

But passing them requires the patented double fisted seat grip.

5. The distraction of collecting geocoins helps to keep Shop99er off of victoriassecret.com.

4. My browsing at victoriassecret.com is faster without Shop99er's bandwidth. Again, thanks to geocoins.

Research. All done in the name of science. Good Lord man.. I'm a humanitarian!

1. The more you geocoins you collect, the less likely it is for your house to get lifted up by a tornado.

Or you can take my approach and leave Kansas!

i wasn't aware vc.com had tropical shirts for sale! :anitongue:

Oooo! Shiny!

Edit to add:

Because finding a coin in a cache is much better than trading for McToys, Golfballs, wet stickers, used pens or out-of-date computer junk.

Edited by avroair

how and why are geocoins popular? ... what is it about them?

thanks

maxrebos

9. Guaranteed for at least seven solid skips across a placid pond surface.

8. Solid investment potential. (According to Bear Stearns Co. Inc.)

7. Geocoins were nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. And they would've gotten away with it if it weren't for that meddling Al Gore.

6. Make excellent pets: Less likely to die than goldfish.

3. Provide reliable trackability without those annoying ankle monitors.

2. Chuck Norris wears Moun10Bike pyjamas.

... and the #1 reason why geocoins are so great:

*Your actual Riboflavin content may vary.

:anitongue::anitongue:;);):):D:lol::lol:

I really don't know why, I just like them :anitongue:

I love the artwork and the creativity. I like the feel of a nice heavy coin in my hand. I like picking through my collection and just looking at them, but I also like the logs of happy finders of my travelers. I just like them ;) I also like the warmth of this community.

I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was crazy, and his reply was "hey as far as things you could choose to collect, coins are probably a good choice. They're pretty cheap and they make you happy"

I'll add to that, they also don't take up very much space :anitongue: He's got this collection of old computers I've been bugging him to get rid of!

Edited by ThirstyMick
ok i am new to caching. about a month in. please do not get the title of this post wrong but i am interested in how and why are geocoins popular?

To quote one of my personal favorite coins:

"Geocoins are collectible coins often created as a personal item which are traded, sold or dropped in caches. Originally intended to travel, geocoins have evolved into sought after collector's items. What's the fun in geocoins? See for yourself!"

6ca2102b-c8ba-4789-81d3-b8cb9a841db3.jpg

Prodeo Pacisci (Go forth and trade)

~J

My gf says "At least it's a better thing to spend money on than crack." Now it's down to balancing geocoins with 4x4 auto parts.

You can also shoot them. They make great targets and it's a community service. Each remaining coin becomes that much more valuable. I did my part for the 2005 Idaho and created the prototype Redneck coin.

Is this coin available? Trying to collect coins from all 5 states I've lived in. I lived in Idaho for 6 years (2000-2006), and I'm redneck.

My gf says "At least it's a better thing to spend money on than crack." Now it's down to balancing geocoins with 4x4 auto parts.

You can also shoot them. They make great targets and it's a community service. Each remaining coin becomes that much more valuable. I did my part for the 2005 Idaho and created the prototype Redneck coin.

Is this coin available? Trying to collect coins from all 5 states I've lived in. I lived in Idaho for 6 years (2000-2006), and I'm redneck.

The 2005 Idaho sold out some time ago. If you come up, hold an event in SE Idaho other than in Bannock County I've got one that can be used as a door prize (One per county).

The one with a bullet hole through it (Redneckified) was sent to PDXmarathon to release as a travel bug.