Most finds in one day

Most for me was 5 I think it was... it was a nice day of caching a single area (a large park). Took me over 4 hours to do it and I spent some time at each cache, enjoyed the scenery, read some logs, cleaned/repaired some caches and just enjoyed being out there.

To me, that's what it's all about - not the number next to your name.

However YOU play, more power to you.

Edited by XopherN71

Most for me was 5 I think it was... it was a nice day of caching a single area (a large park). Took me over 4 hours to do it and I spent some time at each cache, enjoyed the scenery, read some logs, cleaned/repaired some caches and just enjoyed being out there.

To me, that's what it's all about - not the number next to your name.

However YOU play, more power to you.

Maybe a new I.D. is needed? PC for power caching and RC for regular. I've done 3 LPCs and found I don't care for them so I avoid them now but a lot of people around here seem to like putting them up.

Ok, not saying to remove the caches at all but to find 130 on foot in one day following guidelines (525 feet apart from each other) is physically, quantimly impossible. 3 of them would be within one mile. Avg person walks 2 to 3 miles an hour. So that's roughly 9 an hour. give an avg of 7 minutes per find (being conservative here) that's about 29 hours of straight caching with no breaks.

Factors that alter this would be:

Saw someone else find it and immediatly came in after.

Caches are less then 525 feet apart.

Going by standards of the site here I wouldn't count those.

How many can 1-3 people on their own find in one day? Within guidlines.

I can believe the 100+ caches. I believe I could do them as well if A) there were many virtual and :) they were less then 100 feet from each other

Your math makes an assumption that the cachers walk from one cache to another. You forgot running and cars/bikes/motorcycles.

Ok, not saying to remove the caches at all but to find 130 on foot in one day following guidelines (525 feet apart from each other) is physically, quantimly impossible. 3 of them would be within one mile. Avg person walks 2 to 3 miles an hour. So that's roughly 9 an hour. give an avg of 7 minutes per find (being conservative here) that's about 29 hours of straight caching with no breaks.

I can believe the 100+ caches. I believe I could do them as well if A) there were many virtual and :) they were less then 100 feet from each other

Your math makes an assumption that the cachers walk from one cache to another. You forgot running and cars/bikes/motorcycles.

this was in response to the 144 cache where you could only go by foot. even if a person ran, the enrgy would be gone by the tenth cache. Is biologically impossible to keep that up and as a result there'd be slower walking.

this was in response to the 144 cache where you could only go by foot. even if a person ran, the enrgy would be gone by the tenth cache. Is biologically impossible to keep that up and as a result there'd be slower walking.

What's your basis for these assumtions? By those, nobody could run a marathon or climb Mt Everest or do a 50 mile hike in a day.

What's your basis for these assumtions? By those, nobody could run a marathon or climb Mt Everest or do a 50 mile hike in a day.

There's a very popular annual walking race here on the Isle of Man (no running allowed) called the Parish Walk, which is 85 miles in less than 24 hours. Quite a few people finish it, and they are not all highly-trained athletes (a few of my work colleagues have completed it even though they are far from athletic).

Admittedly, not many stop to sign cache logs on the way, but it demonstrates how far the average person can walk in a day.

62 finds in 20 hrs, in Brisbane Australia, back in October 2006. That was with my 2 teenage daughters, neither of who could drive at the time, one GPS, and I visited and logged every cache found personally. At times, one or the other of my girls was asleep in the car.

For about a month, it stood as the record for the most finds in one 24 hr period for Queensland.

62 finds in 20 hrs, in Brisbane Australia, back in October 2006. That was with my 2 teenage daughters, neither of who could drive at the time, one GPS, and I visited and logged every cache found personally. At times, one or the other of my girls was asleep in the car.

For about a month, it stood as the record for the most finds in one 24 hr period for Queensland.

Well, why did you waste those other 4 hours?

At GW3 I did 36 in 3 to 5 star terrain in the Osceola Swamp with the GWIII4WD run hosted by Clan Barron and the NEFGA Jeep Club. STILL the best (as in most FUN) single day of cachin' I ever had. :)

00a59487-66b2-48b9-b2a6-77b0438ca52a.jpg

That same day the beach run did 108 with a very large group and if memory serves Monkeybrad told me they walked for much of that cahce run.

Edited by Snoogans

Good point webscouter. Didn't see anything about walking only. But if they did, here are the numbers I got. Would someone else check my math?

The guidlines say .10 miles apart. That is 528 feet. So, there could be 10 caches per mile in a straight line not just 3? Not sure what you meant by that. At a quick pace of 3 miles per hour, that would be 30 caches per hour. For a total of 4.3 hours. Add in 7 minutes per cache and you get 19.4 hours to complete. Even at 2 miles per hour you come up with 23.7 hours. Now all this assumes you can find a straight trail 13 miles long that has a cache placed every .10 miles and assuming no DNFs. Yes is does seem like an unlikely feat on foot, but I'm sure more than walking was involved.

And to add to the other comments people had about remarkable human feats, I visited the top of Pike's Peak once in Colorado. It is over 14,000 feet in elevation. I stepped off the tram and found it amazingly difficult to breath. After going into the shop up there, I met a couple that looked like they had just been working out. I asked if they had just walked up the mountain, and the told me they had run up. YES RUN UP. They are part of a group called the "14ers". This group actually make a habit of doing this. There are about 50 of these peaks,if I'm not mistaken, and they had just finished the list a few weeks prior. One of the runners was a man probably in his late 60's early 70's. Check out the link www.14ers.com .

you gotta show me the mt everest in a day. The top climbers I've noticed tend to camp mid way. I read it could be possible but foolish.

http://classic.mountainzone.com/everest/99/north/faq6.html

you gotta show me the mt everest in a day. The top climbers I've noticed tend to camp mid way. I read it could be possible but foolish.

http://classic.mountainzone.com/everest/99/north/faq6.html

I never said Mt Everest in a day - just a climb of Mt Everest. And the climbers camp more than "mid way", generally there are 4-6 camps above basecamp. And often it's several days/trips to get the supplies up to the next camp. The general rule of climbing/acclimatizing is 1000 feet per day (which can be done as two days moving a camp 2000 feet). The amount of effort used to carry a 50-60 pound load up a couple of thousand feet - in air that is from 50% down to 1% of the oxygen at sea level - exceeds the energy to walk ten miles.

The "in a day" was the 50 mile hike.