Most finds in one day

A recent series of logs got me thinking about what the highest number of caches found in one day might be. I think my max was about 15 or so. Anyone care to share? And this is on your own, not as part of a team.

By the way, the reason I'm interested is because I was logging a couple of finds recently, and noticed a post from a few days earlier that someone had noted it as "1 of 144 for the day". Wow, that's quite a large number I thought. It was a single cacher out with kids, not a team (I read that on his info page). The funny thing is, since then, I've found 5 other caches that this person logged as finds, but this person had not signed the log. So, I'm wondering if this is possible.

The OP needs to define "Team" and "Find" before we know how to respond. From his post, there is ambiguity. "No teams," he says, but then he says how a "single" cacher with kids is not a "team." So do you want a number for a cacher truly alone, a cacher with nobody else along except kid(s), or what? Is a husband and wife a "team?" Some kids are pretty darn good at finding caches. Mine's at the age where she definitely is a contributor, not a drag, on a good run of caching. She does the navigating and the logging, plus a fair amount of the finding. I would call us a "team."

On a good, solid weekend I (and/or who ever is with me) find around ~10 (or at least get to that many locations). Last weekend I found 17 out of 19 caches in one day. I don't power cache and spend most of the time fiddling around, taking pictures, enjoying the areas and a lot of driving between locations. It's not uncommon for logs around my area to have people finding 25,30 or 40 in a day though - lots of micros in small areas and experience I guess.

Well I when the INATN site was up I saw several people with over 300 finds in a day. Myself I just don't see how they did it not saying they didn't but I know I could never do any thing like that. Doing 312 in a day which was reported would be 13 an hour and at least 1.3 miles an hour every hour which is 4.6 minutes per cache. That is also at least 31 miles traveled at .1 mile between them. Heck it takes me at least 5 minutes to find a cache, open it, sign the log and rehid it once I get to GZ if I am lucky.

My best day was 14 out of 15 last month but I only have 261 finds.

I can see that you are from Boise, so you must have seen logs from our trip from 2006. 144 was our one day high from over there. That was our first big power caching trip and we had a great time over there. We have since upped our personal one day high to 201 in southern Oregon and then to 211 down in Chico, Yuba City area in California. When we go power caching we sign our logs as Team BLuR to save time. (BeavTeam, Legoboyjj, & Rain or Shine) This past Sunday we found 123 caches in 9 hours down in Grants Pass, Or. I have built a desk that hangs off the back of the front seat that holds my laptop running GSAK and Mapsource. I sit in the back routing us to the caches with the least amount of backtracking. We all go to all the caches and have a 3-4 minutes and out rule. Some runs our dnf's are as high as 10%.

The OP needs to define "Team" and "Find" before we know how to respond. From his post, there is ambiguity. "No teams," he says, but then he says how a "single" cacher with kids is not a "team." So do you want a number for a cacher truly alone, a cacher with nobody else along except kid(s), or what? Is a husband and wife a "team?" Some kids are pretty darn good at finding caches. Mine's at the age where she definitely is a contributor, not a drag, on a good run of caching. She does the navigating and the logging, plus a fair amount of the finding. I would call us a "team."

Team--more than two adults, ie, several adults who travel together who most likely have a much better chance of finding caches.

Find--find it and sign the log.

I can see that you are from Boise, so you must have seen logs from our trip from 2006. 144 was our one day high from over there. That was our first big power caching trip and we had a great time over there. We have since upped our personal one day high to 201 in southern Oregon and then to 211 down in Chico, Yuba City area in California. When we go power caching we sign our logs as Team BLuR to save time. (BeavTeam, Legoboyjj, & Rain or Shine) This past Sunday we found 123 caches in 9 hours down in Grants Pass, Or. I have built a desk that hangs off the back of the front seat that holds my laptop running GSAK and Mapsource. I sit in the back routing us to the caches with the least amount of backtracking. We all go to all the caches and have a 3-4 minutes and out rule. Some runs our dnf's are as high as 10%.

Nope, not you and none of the "names" are the one that claimed the 144 that I saw. They were all posted for 3/29/08.

Nope, not you and none of the "names" are the one that claimed the 144 that I saw. They were all posted for 3/29/08.

Having been through Boise, it wouldn't be too hard to get about 70-80 in one day if you had the time and energy.

We just did our personal best a few weekends ago with 62 finds in one day.

-Jen

Why.. I single handedly found 600 in one day!

... On my old account.

that I forgot the password to.

And the username..

Why don't you believe me?

Seriously, my max for one day is only like 5 or 6. but my hours/transportaion are both restricting.

Power trip caching is a real buzz. Personal best was a 36 hour trip which netted 72 caches.

4 hours sleep and a 10 mintue rule. Each trip will have approx 150 caches on it and alot are missed due to there final location.

I do a persoal trip once every two months and a family trip usally during the month between.

Most weekend trips out we find between 4 and 10 over 6 hours.

While living in Alaska I had a 20 cache half-day and not a single micro among them. None of the were park-and-grabs, and two were multis. All of them required a hike of at the very least a tenth of a mile and most required and half mile to mile hike from the parking coordinates. Plus the parks or trail-heads were a few miles apart for each cache. To top it off we had three kids ages nine to five to slow us down.

If you can get 20 caches in one morning around those conditions, in a cache saturated urban area, why couldn't you get 144. If you start very early and go all day you could get 20 hours of just caching. With proper planning you would know your route ahead of time. You could pick easier caches that have been found recently. Limit yourself to only so much time of hunting per cache. Grab it, sign it, and go. That gives you twelve minutes in transit and at the cache for each cache.

Heck in my younger days I covered more ground on foot in a day than would be required to get 144 caches in some areas. And that was with full pack and not on sidewalk or even trails for that matter.

I'd say it was doable.

My most in one day was 18 out of 20 just this last Sunday. For some reason I was on a roll. But I usually stop because I get tired and hungry. But I planned ahead and brought lunch with me, along with a gallon of water. Geocaching makes me thirsty! So I only stopped when I got tired. And I figured out that it is a good idea to bring my bike, for those ones where I have to walk a mile or two to get to it, the bike makes it much faster.

Normally, UK cachers who want to claim a "record" compile a bookmark of the list of caches to make it easier to verify. For example 54 for the 12-hour solo record. Seems like a good idea.

The solo record is 12 hours because it's thought irresponsible to encourage a solo cacher to try and keep going for 24 hours, bearing in mind they'll be driving between many of the caches.

There is a "records" page at this location which might be of interest. USA geocachers will regularly see these records surpassed of course, with huge numbers of easy micros in some areas (you just don't get such areas in the UK).

There is a "records" page at this location which might be of interest. USA geocachers will regularly see these records surpassed of course, with huge numbers of easy micros in some areas (you just don't get such areas in the UK).
London still looks pretty dense, cachewise. I bet that I could find a bunch there in a day, if I were to go back.

On a typical weekend day out caching (I always cache solo) I would usually find 8-15 caches. Weekday evenings might yield 1-4 finds. On a few occasions I have found between 20 and 30, when in an urban/suburban area with a high concentration of easy micros, with 32 being a high. My best day; however, came a little over a week ago. I was on a photography trip to the Southwest, and crossed Nevada on Highway 50, "The Loneliest Road in America". My schedule allowed that I could take the entire day to cross the state and cache along the way. I made a bookmark list of caches within 1000 ft of the highway, with relatively easy access, and off I went. I logged 62 caches that day (and another 20 or so on the return trip a week later).

I can see that given the right area (high concentration of caches, but low muggle factor), and less distance restrictions than I had, it could be possible for an individual cacher to log 100 caches in a day; however, I would think this would be an unusual event.

I just set my "best day" record last Saturday. During an event (it was a Geo-Road Rally), we drove over 150 miles, identified and answered questions about numerous local "landmarks" along the roadside (which was how the event was scored) and along the way I managed to find 39 caches. Some old caches, some new caches and some caches approved by our local reviewer just as the event began! Five of the 39 were also FTF which is also a record for me (5 FTF in one day)! :anitongue:

my best for one day, 5 out of 6

the sixth was a nano, one of the Off your Rocker series. I didn't know it was INSIDE the porch, i thought it was in the bushes on the side

where i live, it's not exactly cache-rich, where some of you guys live, except the Leps, they live somewhere around here. I've found a few of their caches. Hey Leps, i need some help with Trail Road!!!!

Our best day was 130. This was done with my wife and 18 yo daughter. We set it up as a power cache run with targeted caches in the Nashville area and we cached from 6:00AM to 9:30PM with maybe 30 minutes for a drive-thru run and a couple of bathroom stops. I would say that 90% of the caches were within 350 feet of where we parked. We also logged 18 dnf's that day.

Power caching can be exhausting but very exciting at the same time to keep pushing for "just one more". I know 15 hours of this was enough for me as I did all the driving and got out with the girls on most every cache (except a few lightploes). I'm sure those 200+ records out there are more people and more hours, and possibly a tour guide that has already found many of the caches.

On my own: 20

With my wife: 21

I met up with a very well known high numbers cacher at a cache site one day. I was surprised that, as I was signing the log, the other person drove off without signing. Perhaps that's one way they get such huge numbers is by not "wasting" time to sign the log. I don't know, it just surprised me when it happened.

The first time we went out was

The second time we hit 36 caches in one day.

Then on a cache run with a team we hit 46 caches that day.

Then on a cache run with another team 24 caches that day in cluding 2 earthcaches.

Then at the end of the month we we left on a Friday evening starting at 4:30 until 11:59 we hit 24 caches.

Starting at 12 AM Saturday morning we hit 88 caches total for the day. With an overall of a 112 caches in the weekend.

And we still had about 4 more hours to cache. It averaged out to be 4.5 caches per hour. This include a few 4 terrian caches. and no more than .10 from the parking lot.

What we did was have a sticker? and had our team name and our cache handles on the sticker. It makes a lot easier.

And each of us had about 25 to 30 minutes of sleep, with two of us getting about a total of 60 to 75 minutes of sleep.

It was fun, and I want to do it again, for 48 hours.

144 in a day would not be hard.

For proof look at the MOGA event web pages. Permenant caches in the Mark Twain Rec area are set out prior to the event. Each cache has an orienteering type punch in them to validate their finds. Last year the winner of the event found 26 caches in just under three hours. No driving allowed.

http://mogageo.com/joomla/index.php?option...28&Itemid=1

For proof look at the MOGA event web pages. Permenant caches in the Mark Twain Rec area are set out prior to the event. Each cache has an orienteering type punch in them to validate their finds. Last year the winner of the event found 26 caches in just under three hours. No driving allowed.

Hey, that was me. Believe it or not, this year at MOGA I found all 30 in just under 3 hours. :anitongue:

Hey, that was me. Believe it or not, this year at MOGA I found all 30 in just under 3 hours. :anitongue:

Yeah, I didn't want to embarrass you by mentioning your name. :anitongue:

Yeah, I didn't want to embarrass you by mentioning your name. ;)

Thanks, I'm embarrassing enough by myself. :anitongue:

I hit 29 in one day... starting at about 9am and ending at 7pm. I took a break for lunch and a 2-hour break at home. It was quite an effort... especially since the caches were not as drive-up-able as I thought some were. I'm impressed by those who do 30+ on a regular basis.

Kojones

I'm not much of a power cacher myself, but that might partly be becasue of a GPS without the ability to download and no PDA. Everything printed and entered by hand. That has just changed with the purchase of a Garmin 60 CSx. My best number for one day is 17. All of these caches were FTFs believe it or not. Myself and fellow cacher dyerx4 went out to the Lucern Valley and Barstow area in California to hunt down 24 new puzzle caches placed by Mr & Mrs Wisearse. The puzzles were all solved the same way, but that was enough to slow down the competition. We traveled over three hundred miles in about 7 hours and a tank of gas. No DNFs, we just ran out of time.

Ok, not saying to remove the caches at all but to find 130 on foot in one day following guidelines (525 feet apart from each other) is physically, quantimly impossible. 3 of them would be within one mile. Avg person walks 2 to 3 miles an hour. So that's roughly 9 an hour. give an avg of 7 minutes per find (being conservative here) that's about 29 hours of straight caching with no breaks.

Factors that alter this would be:

Saw someone else find it and immediatly came in after.

Caches are less then 525 feet apart.

Going by standards of the site here I wouldn't count those.

How many can 1-3 people on their own find in one day? Within guidlines.

I can believe the 100+ caches. I believe I could do them as well if A) there were many virtual and :) they were less then 100 feet from each other