NEED HELP PICKING A GPS!

flyboy7200

I have the Garmin Vista CX I started out with the Etrex and wanted an electronic compass. You should be able to get one for about 250 or less, but the maps are a little pricey at 100 - 150. If you go to www.garmin.com there is a place to compare the models and you can also see the different maps that can be bought. You should stick with one that does have the electronic compass, makes things a lot easier when you stop walking. You should also make sure the unit will accept custom POI's.

Welcome to the Forums! B)

I would recommend the Legend HCx or Vista HCx. You should be able to get either of those for right around $200. The maps for auto-routing will cost about $100 more. If you just want Topo maps for hiking, you can find those on eBay for less money than the newest Topo version sells for.

for under $250 off Amazon, you can get the eTrex Vista HCx. I've been VERY happy with mine.

Maps for it ARE expensive. But, we're in the new age of pirates. If you're willing to put a bit of effort in to it, and .. well .. steal them, there are sources.

*this entity does not condone piracy, nor does he mean to suggest that you should pirate the maps, he is simply expressing that it is out there.

He'll not go in to further detail on these forums, nor will he supply anyone with illegitimate copies of the maps.

I'd say go for the Garmin Legend HCX. You can find it for under $200 and its something you can grow into. You can use it for geocaching out of the box and add memory and maps later on.

The Garmin Vista HCx is available for under $230 inc shipping from ActionGPS. The Vista gives you the added features of the electronic compass and altimeter over the Legend. I bought the Legend from ActionGPS a couple of months ago and got a great deal....Right at $188.....Not much use for an altimeter in S. Louisiana and I have a compass.

Check out the Lowrance XOG "cross-over" GPSr. It is small, has a large color screen, has voice guided directions and most importantly is easy to use. I got one for $220 with a car adapter and windshield- dash mount. The base map has all the dirt roads I cache on - you will have to pay Garmin extra $$$.$$ for that. Only drawback is 2 hour battery life when not plugged in. Extra Maps are cheap and easily available on preloaded SD cards! Excelent for Car/Boat/Geocaching...only most cachers are VERY Garmin oriented and pay much more $$$.$$ :anitongue:

Check out the Lowrance XOG "cross-over" GPSr. It is small, has a large color screen, has voice guided directions and most importantly is easy to use. I got one for $220 with a car adapter and windshield- dash mount. The base map has all the dirt roads I cache on - you will have to pay Garmin extra $$$.$$ for that. Only drawback is 2 hour battery life when not plugged in. Extra Maps are cheap and easily available on preloaded SD cards! Excelent for Car/Boat/Geocaching...only most cachers are VERY Garmin oriented and pay much more $$$.$$ :laughing:

I agree with getting a Lowrance. I recommend a Lowrance iFinder Expedition C Plus GPS. The Plus version has the detailed maps, SD Memory Card and Card Reader. If you shop around, you can pick this up for under $400. Check out this link - http://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-iFinder-Exp...0397&sr=8-8. The Lowrance H2O C Plus GPS is slightly cheaper without the electronic compass, altimeter, and mp3 capability. Most people do not use these features anyway. Check out the various GPSs at http://www.lowrance.com. For truth in advertising, there is one negative about lowrance GPSs. They use a different software system for waypoints than the Garmins and the garmin system is pretty much standard. I use a conversion program with no problem.